1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Microsoft Rules Out HD-DVD games for "this holiday," Unsure About the Future?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 15, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, the PS3 is really, really big. I guess if you throw in the HD-DVD drive for the 360 as well as the power supply, it might even things out, but hopefully one of those things won't be necessary for every 360 owner.

I guess if anything, we'll see if the whole "The Japanese won't buy the Xbox because it is too big" thing was true.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If that is the final design for the PS3, I'm not impressed. Its huge and ugly.

If the Japanese didn't like the Xbox, they are gonna hate the PS3. That thing is gigantic.

3. RC Cola

4. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the PS3 will also have a huge EXTERNAL power supply.

That's what I've read, anyway.

The heat buildup in that case would be immense if it didn't.

5. RC Cola

It might be external, but I know Sony has stated in the past that it would be (or is) internal; I know I've yet to see an external PS around the few working PS3s I've seen online. I think that would explain the size difference between the 2, although if that isn't the case...wow.

Back to the original point of this thread, MS has responded to this issue:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152888
    I'm almost more worried after reading that (no outright denial from MS).

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i don't think because you haven't seen it in pictures necessarily means it's internal. Unless you've seen a working ps3 actually plugged in. Wires are always eye sores so if their showing this thing off, they'll hide any power supply, wires, ect...

The pictures of the 360 never show the power supply attached....

more importantly, will the ps3 have the over-heating problems the 360 did?

7. RC Cola

That's true, although I seem to recall seeing some pics of the 360 with its power supply around this time last year (maybe later on). FWIW, I think there were some pics of working PS3s a couple of weeks ago when it was in China...might be getting those confused with E3 units though. I'm more or less relying on Sony's comment that it will be internal for my reasoning I guess. They probably know how to cram all that stuff into a box better than most (MS included of course).

Not sure about over-heating issues. That certainly could be a problem (and a really bad one at $500-$600 a pop). We'll just have to wait and see what problems (and there will be problems I'm sure) there will be.

8. UTweezer

i guess we'll find out starting in late sept/oct....

when the stores (im guessing) will start getting kiosks/displays/demo units

9. RC Cola

They might not even have those setups, at least prior to launch. I hope they do, but I don't know if Sony has always done that (don't think PSP displays went out until after launch IIRC...not sure about PS2). If they expect short supply, then they might want to have every working PS3 on store shelves and not on displays.

Let's hope I'm wrong. Even though I won't buy one anytime soon, I would like to get a chance to test it out this year if possible.

10. UTweezer

exactly. I dont' plan on buying one for atleast a year, but I'd like to play the demos!

11. RC Cola

The story at 1UP I gave earlier has been updated, with MS now outright denying that they'll use HD-DVD for games:
    I bet some guys at MS are getting yelled at. :)