1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michigan St. to hire Marvin Lewis? (edited title)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by keeley, Dec 9, 2002.

1. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1208/1473781.html

Any thoughts on this one?

I think it would make an excellent hire, but like Willingham, I wonder if it's only a stepping stone to an NFL job. Then again, Lewis may be burnt out on the old boys network of the NFL.

At any rate I'd really be pulling for him, as he's long deserved a head spot *somewhere*.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. keeley

stay on topic please

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

So Keeley doesn't get mad.

It seems Lewis has decided not to go to the Spartans. He would have been an excellent choice IMO.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, from one born and raised ND fan to another: Where did you hear that Willingham would leave ND?? Has any ND coach ever used ND as a stepping stone to anywhere??? I think God would strike you dead if you broke your contract with ND.

6. keeley

I didn't mean to make it sound like Willingham was gone as soon as he could get out. I've heard and read in various places (how's THAT for non-descript?) that he wants to head coach in the NFL. That all could have changed after the year he had there, though... at least, he may not be in any rush to get an NFL job after the love he got from the alumni and especially the students.

I can't think of any football coach having ever used ND as a stepping stone to the NFL; however, basketball and baseball coaches have left ND for better college jobs (see Doherty, Matt).

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I don't see why Tyrone Willingham would leave Notre Dame. It's probably one of the top coaching jobs in all of football. He's finally getting recognized as a damn good coach. There's a handful of coaching jobs that are considered first-tier in the college ranks:

Florida
    Florida State
    Miami
    Texas
    Notre Dame
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Alabama

8. drapg

drapg Member

Lewis must have an offer on the table in the NFL if he's willing to give up the Spartan job.

My guess is that Seattle has spoken with and plans to dump Holmgren.

9. Nomar

Nomar Member

The following is not on-topic:

What is the consensus on Jim Tressel?

I think he is a class act. Think he could make it in the NFL?

10. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Ohio St. tried to get Mr. Willingham after John Cooper was fired following the 2000 season....Tyrone was still coaching Stanford.
    I can't recall if he did indeed interview or not. Ohio St. was definately interested. IMO, he will be at Notre Dame for a while.

The following is not on-topic:

What is the consensus on Jim Tressel?

I think he is a class act. Think he could make it in the NFL?

My .02 on buckeyes coach Jim Tressel......
    I am a Buckeyes fan and follow Tressel pretty close..... He is indeed a class act. He has a rule that the players must hand the ball to the refs after every play, no trash talking, they get few penalties and commit few turnovers. He has them disciplined and playing as a team. I can't stress enough, AS A TEAM. He springs pop quizzes on team members asking them to name the hometown of other teammates and what high school they are from and many other topics.
    Tressel seems to do everything right. He has an excellent relationship with the Ohio high school coaches association, something his predecessor John Cooper NEVER had. Cooper was from Tennessee. (Tressel is from Ohio.) Tressel has also taken the time to attend several high school playoff games to scout talent and make the rounds.
    As far as his coaching, it is top notch, IMO. He has a demeanor very similar to the great Tom Landry. In Tressel's first two seasons, I haven't seen him yell once. Not even at the officials. (maybe a tad at the refs) He may in practice, I don't know, but he is very reserved, confident and focused. Ohio St. kept their cool this season despite several tight games when Maurice Clarett was hurt.
    Tressel delegates the defensive side of things to his D-coordinator and D-coaches. I'm sure he is involved at some level, but Tressel is an offensive coach. Tressel has an O-coordinator, but he calls the plays. Tressel is a superb QBs coach. That is his department and he is great at it. He grades the QBs in each of some 20+ QB drills every day at practice. Each drill is graded. One coaching point he stresses for example, is that when the QB drops back to pass, the QB must step up in the pocket. By doing so, you stay where the protection is, you get a best last read on the coverage, and it can break down the defense as they see the QB ready to throw or run. I can't tell you how many first downs Ohio State picked up this year when the QB took off after stepping up (Ohio State's QB Craig Krenzel is NO running QB.)
    Good things happen when you step up in the pocket.
    As for the NFL, I have no doubt he could handle the job. Head coach, coordinator, QBs coach.....he is a SUPERB coach. Ohio State is his last stop.