1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Vick is the best player in the NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by NYKRule, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's been a minute.

Yes, Priest Holmes is still good.

Just think about that for a minute.

2. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Thing is Holmes and Gannon have been good for not just this season but multiple. They have been improving each year seems like they are just playing better all the time. If putting up those numbers were so easy every team would do it.

Whats wrong with Kingsbury and Griffin? :)

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Hardly. I was saying the type of offense that the Chiefs run benifits his numbers a lot. Vermiel tries to play like he did with the Rams, except, he doesn't have the personnel to do so. Results in a lot of dumpoffs, and he has Trent Green, not exactly the best QB out there. Maybe Quentin Griffin wasn't the best comparison (Nate Hybl sucks, he's the offense), but I can't think of one for a better.

BTW, I believe Gannon is the MVP right now, so please don't try and play the bias card. I believed if Kingsbury even kept Tech close to the Sooners that he should have won the Heisman.

If you think Gannon doesn't benifit from that offense, just don't try and counter it because it is futile.

4. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Gannon and Holmes are on pace to set records because they're really that good.

Its true, Its true, Its damn true.

5. Major

Major Member

Hardly. I was saying the type of offense that the Chiefs run benifits his numbers a lot. Vermiel tries to play like he did with the Rams, except, he doesn't have the personnel to do so. Results in a lot of dumpoffs, and he has Trent Green, not exactly the best QB out there.

Well, maybe more coaches should implement this system then. If the players suck, and you can still get them to be the highest scoring offense in the NFL, you must be doing something right.

Or perhaps at least one of the players is really damn good.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Most teams don't have Charlie Garner, Jerry Rice, and Tim Brown.

7. Major

Major Member

Most teams don't have Charlie Garner, Jerry Rice, and Tim Brown.

I don't believe Kansas City has any of those guys either. Just Priest Holmes.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Eddie Kennison rocks!!

9. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Sure I think Rich benefits from Trestman's offense. Just like Holmes benefits from KC's system-just like Marino thrived in Miami's offense and Young in SF. Does that make them not great players or the records they have just products of the system? Or are they just good? Every team tailors the offense to the best players.

Lots of people run that West coast offense but nobody did it as well as Gannon is doing it so far.

Hey, I'm sure Cincinnati will institute the West Coast next year and Kitna will break lots of records.

10. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

They also have the mighty Trent Green.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Trent is an above average QB. Remember, he was the starter at St. Louis.

Also, I don't think it's all system. Precise route-runners help Gannon. Griese has looked kinda sluggish in the west coast, so give some credit to Rich.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Can't forget about Johnnie Morton...

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Then why do people dismiss Crouch and Kingsbury as overrated?

Every QB needs good coaches, but it's kinda obvious that the WCO just needs a QB with above average-good accuracy (Gannon drops in at the good-great, but that doesn't mean above average-good can't succeed in it) to succeed in it. He doesn't need an arm that can throw 30 yards. See: Chad Pennington hail mary, last play.

Gannon has run it the best so far because he has had the best combo of players so far, and a pretty accurate arm.

Can someone get a list of the players that have failed in the WCO that have a hint of accuracy and a head on their shoulders?

The percentage that have failed is probably much, much less than the percentage that have failed in other offenses.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The players must execute in order for the offense to work. These guys are just good.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Priest Holmes and Rich Gannon's success this season show what a great offensive line can do when it stays healthy. The Raiders Barry Sims, Barrett Robbins, and Lincoln Kennedy, should all receive pro bowl consideration for the way they keep Gannon protected. that being said, Gannon had a pretty off night last night for throwing for 342 yards, He was missing a lot of open receivers and taking sacks when he should have thrown the ball away. Last night's game was a defensive battle. I was very impressed with the Jets, These were the two hottest teams in the NFL, and the Raiders come out on top.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

He can go to hell as far as I'm concerned....quitter.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

On athleticism alone:
    -Vick
    -Moss
    -Owens
    -McNabb

I'll put it this way, if all the players in the league were released and teams started drafting over again (for now and the long term) Vick or McNabb would be #1 I would think. It is no knock on Carr to say he would be drafted behind Vick--heck, anyone else in the last 4 years also would.

If Gannon can get his team to have a bye in the playoffs I would vote for him as league MVP. I think Farve, Vick and Tomlinson could all have a good case however if their teams finish stronger than the Raiders.

18. drapg

drapg Member

still bitter about the Denver fiasco, eh?

I don't blame you... I would be too.

19. drapg

drapg Member

I have to agree with Gannon being the league MVP (to date of course). If the Raiders go on another losing streak, all bets are off.

Holmes, Vick, Favre, and Bledsoe are all up there too. But Gannon is head of the class this year in my opinion.

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Thought you might like this article ;)

Two questions of historic significance center on Oakland Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon as we approach the last five weeks of the regular season:

Is he going to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yardage record of 5,084, achieved in 1984?

If he does, so what?

The answer to No. 1: Probably, though he'll be facing exceptional defenses when he goes on the road to face the Dolphins on Dec. 15 and when he's at home against the Broncos a week later. He'll have to average 310 yards a game to reach 5,085, and he's currently averaging 321.

The answer to No. 2: It would be a significant accomplishment, but compared to what Marino did 18 years ago, and how he did it, Gannon's place in the record book would be largely gratuitous.

This is not going to be a difficult concept to grasp: The more times you pass, the greater your yardage total is likely to be.

After 11 games, Gannon is throwing the ball an average of 42 times a game. In 1984, Marino threw an average of 35. Gannon is completing, on average, 29 passes a game. Marino averaged 23 completions.

To crystallize all this, it means that Gannon is having to throw seven more passes a game to average one more passing yard a game than Marino did in '84.

To Gannon's credit, he understands exactly how relatively trivial this record would be. "I couldn't care less about whether we throw for 300 yards or 30," he said last week. "As long as we win and we have good balance."

Good balance? He threw 64 times against the Steelers, 55 times against the Chiefs and another 45 against the Cardinals, Chargers and Rams. After 11 games, the Raiders are passing 66 percent of the time.

In 1984, despite Marino's prolific throwing (he had a record 48 touchdown passes), the Dolphins passed only 54.8 percent of their snaps.

Equally important is where Marino directed his throws. He was a downfield quarterback whose completions were more challenging than the wealth of short passes Gannon has thrown this year. Marino averaged 9.0 yards per attempt in 1984, which, for purposes of comparison, is considerably higher than the 5.7 average for all NFL quarterbacks for 2001. Gannon this year is averaging 7.6.

Now do two things. Estimate how many yards Marino could have had if coach Don Shula had turned him loose to throw on two of every three downs, as the Raiders are doing with Gannon. Then, ponder whether the Dolphins would have reached the Super Bowl that year with a lack of offensive balance.

This is not to suggest that the Raiders can't run. Charlie Garner snapped off 100 yards against Arizona on Sunday and Tyrone Wheatley added 82. But what happens if they end up back in New England for a playoff game in January, with foul weather, making it exceedingly difficult to pass?

To refresh your memory, Gannon was 17 for 31 for 159 yards in last season's divisional playoff loss in the snow at Foxboro, Mass.

As for all those yards Gannon has rolled up this season, it's impressive. But Marino produced an AFC championship. Let's see what results from Gannon's big year.