1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Vick is the best player in the NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by NYKRule, Dec 1, 2002.

1. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

There is no doubt in my mind. He's just incredible.

2. drapg

drapg Member

how funny, i was about to post a thread stating those precise sentiments.

That game clinching scramble was incredible. For the first time in my life I want to see Falcons games on TV

173 rushing yards for a qb? are you freakin' kidding me?

i wonder if san diego fans are still happy to have LT and Drew rather than the most amazing player in sports (maybe i'm going too far there!)

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

And just imagine, I got him (Vick) in a fantasy football keeper league for $13!

I believe that I am locking him up to the max contract!:D

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I wouldn't say he's the best yet...He has the most talent and potential in this league, its too early to say he's the best...he will be head and shoulders above everyone in a few years though, this is only his second year in the league...this guy is unbelievable, he probably can be a very very good RB or WR if he wants to in the NFL...

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

And to think at the beginning of the year several of you Texan homers were saying Carr was just as good if not better.:rolleyes:

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't think anyone was saying Carr as a rookie was as good as Vick in his second year. I guess Charlie Casserly is a homer too then, since he said on his radio show the other day that "without a doubt" he would take David Carr over Michael Vick.

Vick's great, but you don't have to run a 4.2 40 to be a great quarterback. To say Carr can't be a similarly great quarterback at this point is a little ridiculous. :rolleyes:

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Thats because he's the GM that drafted Carr and not Vick. They were literally begging him to stay at Virginia Tech and leave after his RS Junior year.

I'm not saying that Carr won't be a great QB. I'm just saying that 32 out of 32 would take Vick over Carr.

8. haven

haven Member

Vick certainly adjusted to the NFL more quickly than I expected. I didn't think he'd be dominant for another couple of years. In college, he had to play in a drastically simplified Vtech offense.

He's learned quickly, and his athletic ability is amazing even in the NFL.

At the same time, I don't think he's always going to be as dominant as he is right now. In time, the NFL will adjust... just like it did to the run'n'shoot, the 46 defense, and the Rams.

Vick will remain a great player - perhaps the best - but what we're seeing right now is partly the result of defensive coordinators never having faced a QB who runs better than all but the very best RBs.

I'd much rather have Vick than Carr. Carr has a great arm.. but Vick has at least as good of one. Carr might be a bit more accurate, but there's a drastic difference in their athleticism.

Also, i probably wouldn't call him the best player in the NFL, quite yet. I'd still give that honor to McNabb, Favre, Faulk, or Owens. Vick should be mentioned with them, though.

9. The Cat

I'd like quotes on both of these.

10. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Of course Casserly is a homer, he's the GM of the freaking team. What is he supposed to say "Gee, we were sure hoping Mike would have stayed one more year, but Carr makes a pretty good second choice"?

To address your second point, 4.2 speed isn't what makes Vick great. If thats all it took, Bo Jackson or Dieon would have been moved to qb and dominated. What makes him great is the fact that he is a qb throwing at a 59.5% clip, has a 90.4 qb rating while throwing only 3 picks all year, combined with over 600 yards rushing already.

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

http://www.wcyb.tv/sportsread.asp?offset=1470&sportsid=9

"IF FRANK BEAMER EVER GETS OUT OF THE COACHING PROFESSION, HE CAN ALWAYS GO INTO SALES.
    TODAY BEAMER AND SEVERAL MEMBERS OF HIS STAFF MET WITH
    MICHAEL VICK AND HIS FAMILY TODAY IN NEWPORT NEWS.
    BEAMER SAYS TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES HAVE AGREED TO INSURE VICK WITH DISABILITY INSURANCE IF HE RETURNS TO TECH NEXT SEASON.
    BEAMER ALSO SET UP A CONFERENCE CALL WITH BILL POLIAN, THE GENERAL MANAGER OF THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS. POLIAN EXPLAINED THE OPTIONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO VICK.
    VICK ALSO TALKED ON THE PHONE WITH DONOVAN MCNABB OF THE EAGLES AND IS EXPECTED TO CALL PEYTON MANNING LATER TONIGHT.
    VICK ALSO TALKED WITH CHARLIE CASSERLY OF THE HOUSTON TEXANS---THE TEXANS WILL JOIN THE NFL AFTER NEXT SEASON AND WILL HAVE THE NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK.
    VICK HAS UNTIL JANUARY 12TH TO MAKE A DECISION ON LEAVING EARLY FOR THE NFL. "

Now maybe not begging (exaggeration), but I wonder what the hell they were discussing when the Texans didn't have a friggin' pick in the draft?

The second one is a guesstimate. And unless you are a blind Texans lover, you would notice it as the downright truth.

12. The Cat

The speed is what so many people say separates him from other great quarterbacks, though. Also, you'd think that even as the GM Casserly would have something great to say about them both players-- not just "without a doubt David Carr", etc.

There are a few quarterbacks that have better numbers in passing than Vick, and I've seen nothing to suggest that Carr can't do that. If Carr can be a more accurate passer, than can negate the advantage Vick has with his speed.

Vick's great, and deserves to be the MVP of the league. However, to say this proves that we were wrong in thinking Carr could be as good doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

13. The Cat

The David Carr of 2000 was nowhere near the David Carr of 2001. The fact that Casserly liked Michael Vick before David Carr became a great college quarterback proves very, very little.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

First time Mike Vick play I knew he was the next big thing. He just threw effortless 55 yard passes so acccuarately. He is every thing that he is cracked up to be and more. He will be the Jordan of Football. He is Barry Sanders and John Elway combined. He will be the best player ever by the time he retires. He is the most exciting player today and to think that he is a legit MVP canadite in his 2nd year is incredible. Any team with Vick on it automatically makes them a team that can beat you on anygiven sunday. If Vick stays healthy which that is the only thing I question him on but if he does the sky is the limit.

First time I saw Carr play was against Fresno State. Again I knew i was watching something special. His pinpoint accuracy was something to watch. He can go down as one of the best to play the positon. He is worthy of the #1 pick and i think he will be in the hall of fame someday and bring houston its 1st superbowl but hes far from vick. Vick is something else just watch.

15. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I have a question for you guys. Taking mental status and position out of the equation, who is more physically gifted, Michael Vick, Donovan Mcnabb, Randy Moss, or Terrell Owens?

16. drapg

drapg Member

disregarding position and mental stability, my rankings are:

1. owens
    2. vick
    3. moss
    4. mcnabb

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Not questioning you at all, but in what way is Owens physically gifted? Don't get me wrong, great player. I'd just like some numbers. I thought Moss was the most gifted WR.

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Extremely strong.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm not going to pick a side on this Carr-Vick debate because I know very little about football, but quickly scrolling through this thread, I can't understand this comment at all. Of course Casserly is a homer, David Carr is his own guy!

20. drapg

drapg Member

did you see his body on MNF? he's got the greatest physique in the NFL. he uses his immense strength to toss defensive backs away for spectacular YAC. plus he's rather speedy for someone with that much weight.

even if those gifts were gained through weight training rather than given by the grace of God, they are just as spectacular.