1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fuzzybear, May 27, 2010.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Kobe wanted to surpass Jordan's legacy from day one. In the end, he won't even come close. Like a lot of you, I was old enough to watch both of their careers unfold and as good as Kobe is, he can't touch Jordan.

I think Jordan and Hakeem were the two best players over the last 30 or so years, ahead of Shaq, Duncan, Bird, Magic, etc... even if there are numbers out there that might say otherwise.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Aren't you being a little biased by putting Hakeem at #2?

3. BrooksBall

I have absolutely no reason to be biased in favor of either player. I didn't even move to Houston and start following the Rockets until 2002.

Those are just the two most amazing players to me over the last 30 years or so which is when I've been old enough to watch basketball.

4. Mr. Space City

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LDmW6JOZq4c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LDmW6JOZq4c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

amazing

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

The guy doesnt travel! Most of the dunks and layups are two steps to the rim!

6. BrooksBall

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/07X9MxoL3YI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/07X9MxoL3YI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Yeah, because MJ never received the benefits of any marketing campaigns.

Seriously though, has anyone seen the new Hanes undershirt commercial? Who does this guy think he is trying to redeem the Adolf Hitler moustache. His ego truly knows no bounds.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

What I took from that video is seeing just how much body control he had. It's really unparalleled to anyone (past or present) I've ever seen.

9. Crudder

Crudder Member

Gotta agree with this. Jordan did have big hands that allowed him to finish in ways most of us only dream of (including those in the NBA). But it was also his ability to understand where his opponents were and where they were going to be.

If you watch closely, you'll see his small body movements in the air that allow him just enough space to get a shot off - it's quite amazing and I have yet to see a current player do the same.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

This. How they were able to get funding to make a 2nd I'll never know.

11. roksoer

roksoer Member

hey yeah, same for me, basically, my default jumpshot involves palming the ball and when the ball is too smooth i just can't palm it and can't hit **** so i'm one of those guys that constantly blames the ball for misses =P

12. alaskansnowman

I think that compilation might be the best montage of Jordan's dunks / aerial pursuits I've ever seen.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks guy! Just goes to show how that score-first, volume shooting, flashy wing-players that rely on athleticism don't win championships. :rolleyes:

Every time I see the highlight of MJ making complete buffoons of John Starks and Charles Oakley I want to stand up. It was at 4:45 on this video.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

This for me too... well not actually because of MJ per se... all the kids on the playground during recess were trying to emulate him and that's how I got introduced to the game of basketball... and eventually started watching the game on tv and loving the Rockets.. I hated MJ growing up because I thought he was a ball-hog.. but as time went by and I got more familiar with the game I started to appreciate his game and unbelievable talent... I'm glad I got a chance to see him play :)

MJ going through the air = poetry in motion

GOAT!!

15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Although I'll agree that virtually every component of Jordans game was better than Kobe's- better handles, quickness, more hops, better jump shot, more rings (for the moment), etc., you cant deny that Kobe has faced stiffer competition at the 2 spot than MJ did in the 90's.

The Shooting Gaurd position had only a few real talents during that era- clyde and reggie being the two best that come to mind; the majority were players who were either too slow to keep up with MJ (Hornacek, Hersey Hawkins, Nick Anderson, Mich Richmond), too small (John Starks, Dumars), or simply overmatched (Sprewell, Calbert Cheaney).

Kobe has had to go up against a league that became gaurd focused with superior aggregate talent.

MJ's era was an era of centers- Robinson, Ewing and Mutombo were all in their prime, which makes Hakeem's numbers and accomplishments even more impressive.

16. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

To think the Rockets could have picked him instead of Hakeem.

Nothing against hakeem, hes my hero, but damn.

What if......what if.....

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Wow. No mention of Clyde or Reggie Miller?

Also, there is a reason other players were too slow to keep up with him. It's because the guy is probably probably had the quickest first step of any SG to play the game.

Who has Kobe had to face at SG besides Wade that is so great?

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What I wanted the Rockets to do (before MJ blew up off the scale and Sampson got injured) was to trade Ralph Sampson for MJ. I'm not joking.

In retrospect, I think most of us Rockets fans are fine with drafting Hakeem since he won two championships here. I love MJ as much as anyone but have no regrets about the Rockets drafting Hakeem.

19. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Holy ****, 2:04 of that video. I just found Trevor Ariza's real biological father.

20. PocketRockets3

Hakeem is one of the best players to ever play the game. He dominated on both ends of the floor (something that not even all the greats can say they did). If Hakeem played a different time than Jordan, he could possibly had just as many championships as mike. But then again, Jordan playing in a time with hall of famers showed how good Jordan really is. I had an argument with a knowledgeable friend that argued Hakeem was the best, in his opinion, to play the game. He did have some good points, which goes to show how good Hakeem was also.