1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Dickerson Trying to Make Comeback?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by magnomonkey, Oct 8, 2008.

1. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/hansen/11659/michael-dickerson-back-in-the-nba

Michael Dickerson back in the NBA
    10/03/2008 09:16 AM
    Greg Hansen

Michael Dickerson retired at 27, forced into idleness by a chronic sports hernia just as he was hitting his NBA prime.

He was soothed by a guaranteed contract of about $43 million.

But when the Cleveland Cavaliers opened their training camp this week, the 33-year-old Dickerson was wearing jersey No. 9, one of five free agents attempting to get the Cavs’ final roster spot.

His injury is fully rehabilitated but, alas, Dickerson is 33 and a long-shot to make the club.

The former UA standout told reporters he hadn’t touched a basketball for five seasons. To stay in shape he practiced yoga and martial arts, much of it done while he was on a soul-searching odyssey to India.

Dickerson was the 14th player selected in the 1999 NBA draft. He averaged 18.2 and 16.9 points in his final two NBA seasons before retiring on October 25, 2003.

How are his chances in Cleveland? Not good. He skipped Wednesday’s workouts for what the club termed “personal reasons.’‘

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm rooting for him. Always liked the guy.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I always disliked him, but he seemed like a nice guy. from not taking those threes in the playoffs against the lakers. I was so mad when they drafted him because he was coming off a massive choke in college at arizona in a game he went 1 for 10 or something in the tournament and sure enough he choked in that playoff game. (to be fair he was only a rookie) anyway you could tell the dude didn't love the game. i guess some of these guys go a couple of years without playing and figure they can at least learn to love the paycheck. i wish no ill will, he's not a bad guy, and hey, he did help land francis, and even if you don't like francis, that helped land mcgrady.

4. 3814

3814 Contributing Member