1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Dickerson stats...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haven, Feb 22, 2000.

1. haven

haven Member

He's scored in double figures in 37 consecutive games. He's averaging 20 points during that span.

Would anybody still rather have Cuttino? Those are all-star numbers, boys.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The most amazing thing is Dickerson had 4 steals and 5 blocks last night (good, because he is on my fantasy basketball team). I'd still rather have Cuttino, though. For some reason I had the impression that he has more of a winner attitude than Dickerson.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i definitely want Francis.

we don't get Francis w/o Dickerson. can we put this Mobley part to bed. This is about Francis and Dickerson, not Mobley and Dickerson.

Everyone misses Dickerson except for those like myself and Mantronix who only like players on the current roster. I just can't torture myself like you guys with what-ifs about Dickerson. Fact is: He had to go in order to land Francis. I can sleep with that and carry on without ever looking at Dickerson again until we play against him.

4. haven

haven Member

Are you certain that Vancouver demanded Dickerson? I half-way remember someone saying that Rudy took Mobley off the table even for that trade. I think it's uncertain as to whether or not Vancouver would have accepted Mobley in lieu of Dickerson.

I suppose part of my problem is that Dickerson played with grace and style-off the court as well as during games. He seemed like a genuinely nice person. Mobley is inarticulate and annoyingly cocky during interviews, and foolish and clumsy during games. Even the *thought* that we could have substituted Mobley in the deal drives me wild.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited February 22, 2000).]

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If MD had stayed, would SA have signed with the Rockets?

Doubtful.

Mango

6. haven

haven Member

I'd still rather have Dickerson than Shandon. Dickerson is younger, plays good defense (not quite the same level, but close), drives as well, and shoots much better. He also is more athletic, if anyone's seen his highlights lately... the kid can DUNK.

Francis and Dickerson might have been the best backcourt in the NBA. I don't think Francis and Anderson (or Mobley) ever will.

Please don't take this as an attack on Shandon... he remains my favorite player on the team.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hmm...what about Kidd and Penny? I think that's hard to beat.

8. heypartner

shandon and dickerson both have grace

haven likes the distinguished group.

to answer your question--i'd don't know anything about who was demanded in the trade...mainly because I was so ecstatic about Francis and too busy bribing rocket tickets sales for a better season ticket slot I'd never looked back. I recall someone saying Dickerson was demanded.

Anyhow, sorry, Dickerson. You're a Grizzlie now. We hate to see your go.

Someday to be an truly happy Rocket fanatic like myself, you will have let go of Dickerson. There will be more trades. I will always wave goodbye and embrace the new. Especially OUR MAN STEVIE.

9. heypartner

One more thing,

THIS TRADE IS NOT OVER. By giving up Dickerson instead of Mobley, we gained about another $700K towards our trade exception.

That $700K could be crucial in a sign-n-trade this summer. You must not fully evaluate the trade until after we use all the exception money. Then we'll see.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

There is one other part of the MD - Cat tradeoff and that is Cat's contract runs out this year versus the first round contract that MD is under.

So there is the bonus of the trade exception money versus resigning Cat.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 22, 2000).]

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me how the "Dickerson isn't a winner - Mobley has the heart of a champion" comparison ever started? Does this mean that because Allan Houston and Tim Duncan don't scream and pull their jersey across their chest after every made basket, they are not winners?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

For me, it's just a personal impression. It might have to do with Cuttino making the game-winning shot in his first game and with his college coach's statement that he is the biggest winner he has ever coached.

13. haven

haven Member

Mobley doesn't have the numbers that Dickerson does... but some people like fiery trash-talkers. "Mobley has heart" seems to be an empty platitude they put forth to make up for the fact that he has less talent.

I think that Vancouver made the better trade w/Dickerson, but I also think that Rudy said he wouldn't even consider trading Mobley. If Mobley had been offered instead of Dickerson, I think they likely would still have taken our offer.

They would have received a very similar package... and Mobley is more versatile, I'll give him that.

I love the Rockets... but that doesn't preclude my voicing my disapproval about certain trades. I'd sure hate to be a Clips fan [​IMG]. I become attached to the players on my favorite teams, and for me... it detracts from my enjoyment in following them if they continually trade away my favorite players. I mean... what is a team, really? Sure, I liked the Rockets initially because I lived near Houston... but I came to love them because I enjoyed watching the PLAYERS. Houston will always be my favorite team... but their recent rapid turnover has dimished my esteem for the organization, and pleasure watching the team.

14. heypartner

Haven...thecabbage,

Do you really watch games and cringe everytime Cuttino get the ball? Sometimes I feel Mobley bashers are somewhat pleased when he screws up.

I'm not saying you do this, but I know some people in person who yell at Rockets they don't like. Man, I can't understand that whatsoever.

Dickerson is not a Rocket anymore; let it go? We only Cheer for Rockets around here. Cheer for Mobley while he's still a Rocket. Scream when he screams. Yell at the ref when he yells. Laugh like a father when he screws up.

Trust me: You'll feel better!! And I might invite you to a game to yell with me.

Man...where is Mantronix, CBBrownFanClub and LHutz when I need a true blue fanatic to give us ol' team spirit speech.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 22, 2000).]

15. vince

vince Member

Look guys and possibly some gals. Dickerson is good. Mobley is good too. But come on, Mobley is scoring 14.5 points per game and Dickerson is averaging 17.5 points per game. That is only a 2 point difference per game.

Mobley is doing his job. Last year he averaged 9 points per game, now he is averaging 14.5 points per game. He is going to get better.

16. haven

haven Member

Oh, trust me... people don't get much louder than me at games. Over Christmas break, my fiancee forced me to attend a Jazz game... and I practically got us stoned by how loudly I was cheering against them, and they weren't even playing the Rockets (this was in SLC).

Of course, I made her agree to come to a Rocket game this summer once I return from college, so I just might see you there [​IMG].

I've disliked Mobley's play for most of this year. During January, my feelings toward him began to change a bit. Now, I like him considerably better than I did before. His dual play with Cato is particularly admirable. However, I still don't like his style of play... the ill-advised shots, challenging every double team that comes his way, etc. He's just too brash without the skills to mitigate this quality.

I *did* cringe when he shouted "they stole it" into the camera when Ricky Davis and Eddie Jones used the same dunk they had planned. Class is a rare commodity in the NBA, and Mobley lacks even a modicum of it. I do like his skills enough to support resigning him to $4m per year, though... so draw your own conclusions from that.

17. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The dickerson/Mobley trade debate should be OVER.

We traded Dickerson instead of Cat becuase of these 3 reasons:

1. Dickerson was friends with Bibby. Major part.

2. We needed someone to initiate the offense, not a shooter. We were becoming a guard-oriented offense, not post up.

3. Cat had more heart, and we needed someone emotional with Elie gone.

18. dream_team

dream_team Member

Dickerson is tearing it up right now, and I'm sure it's making Grizz fans forget about Francis. And I bet they would argue now they had the better part of the deal. but i'd keep Cat just because of rocketfans34 reason #3. as a basketball player, having guys like Mad Max, Elie, and Barkley on your team helps. sometimes i don't feel like giving a 100%... but having a teammate shouting, screaming, being fired up and try to motivate his teammates to play and hustle helps out alot. Cat is the vocal leader on the team, and that's very much needed, considering guys like Cato, KT, Shandon, Francis, or any other rocket seems to like to take that role.

if Dickerson was here instead of Cat, who would be the team's vocal leader?

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Don't forget what respective teams these guys play for. Dickerson has upped his numbers because he is a talented player on a team with not much talent. Don't get me wrong, I think Dickerson is a good player with obvious potential, but he would not be putting up the same numbers in a Rockets uniform. I don't think you can really pinpoint enough reasoning to make a distinct choice of one over another. Cuttino fits the role in our system, Dickerson would also fit the role. Like Heypartner said, no Francis if we had kept Dickerson. YES, Vancouver wanted him and the deal was contingent upon Dickerson being in the trade.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Haven, you can't possibly be serious about Mobley having a lack of class because he shouted during the dunk contest that Hill and Stackhouse (not Davis and Jones) stole their idea.

He was laughing the entire time. You act like he was ready to kill the two guys.

What makes you think that he has no class? Because he's cocky? Around 98% of the NBA players are just as cocky. Is it because he's a little ghetto? Outspoken? Loud?

Do you even know the guy outside of what you see on TV? Have you heard something about his past that led you to this decision?

I don't know anything about him either, however, I'm just willing to assume that most people are "classy". I'm also willing to assume that most NBA players are classy. I'm able to look past the Sprewells and Riders (hell, even he does tons of inner-city work in Oakland) of the league and look at the Grants, Dreams, Drexlers, Robinsons, Johnsons, Duncans, Garnetts, Hawkins and numerous others.

As for the trade, I wanted to keep Dickerson at first too. However, it was really for Francis, money, and Anderson. If that exception can be used for a productive 3, then that will be added to the trade.

However, it's always fun to speculate. Don't tell people to get over it for speculation. I like to talk about what would have happened if we would have had Jordan, Drexler and Dream. What if Sampson would have never had those knee injuries?

Sure it never happened, but what's the harm in discussing what could have been.

It's no more idiotic than fretting over the use of exclamation points.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited February 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited February 23, 2000).]