1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Cohen to testify publicly on Capitol Hill - 2/27

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Harrisment, Feb 20, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

go back to posting cartoons. It's more befitting.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here’s why you might be right

This is why Trump can win... the “Toss Up” category becomes Trump votes if you have the kind of misinformation, propaganda, and negative coverage about the alternative.

Trump has a lot going for him in a re-election based on how we elect our president and given his strengths as a master of disinformation with a f$&k ton of special interest money and a plethora of media outlets carry out his bidding.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I disagree with a few things on that map.

Colorado and Virginia should be "likely" D.

Ohio, Florida, and Georgia should be "likely" R.

With no Beto on the ballet I think Texas falls back into "Safe R" territory.

I might also tip Arizona into "lean R", while Pennsylvania and Wisconsin into "lean D".

Of course that leaves no toss-ups but hey BALLS OUT PREDICTION AMIRITE PPL.

#363 DonnyMost, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Coons should be the Democratic nominee.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Virginia is possibly in play with all the nonsense going on in the democratic party in that state.

Georgia will go Republican, but Ohio and Florida are far from certain. The Democrats lost very narrowly in Florida and the demographics are changing. Put a gun to my head and it leans Republican but that is far from certain.

Arizona is will go Republican if Trump gives enough time and resources to it.

Lets just wait and see on Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. I am up in the Wisconsin area and the voters are not all so keen on the new green deal or what the left part of the democratic party is pushing.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Why?

what are you basing this on or do you just like to gamble on longshots?

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Arizona and Virginia probably belong in "theirs to lose" category, R and D respectively. They're both within reach, but it will take a significant f*** up to lose them for either party.

Ohio I cannot see going D. Penn and Wis, yes. Certain? Not at all.

Regardless of how much Trump f***s up the next 2 years, I think the trenches are dug and this is going to be a close race (electorally, not popularly).

I think the margin will end up being fewer than 20 electoral votes, while the popular vote margin will actually *go up* from before. This will result in maximum bitterness and conspiracy ranting from the Trump camp.

Nook, B-Bob and biff17 like this.
  8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Remember that Florida will have 1 MM more voters, disproportionately minorities, in their electorate in 2020

Nook likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I thought this was going to have an atomic effect on Florida's elections, but those folks are expected to have a super duper low turnout rate.

The real impact of the FL restoration of voting rights is that future felons won't have their voting rights stripped away.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

How keen are the Wisconsin voters on Trump and do you really think any Democratic nominee will be pushing for the new green deal?

do you think they will vote for Trump to push back against what as you say is only a part of the Democratic party?

not calling you out but you seem to think any negatives from the Democratic party means a vote for Trump.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cohen implicated Trump in at least 14 felonies today

Ken Gude, senior fellow at Center for American Progress in Washington DC, wrote a Twitter thread listing all the felonies Trump may have committed, based on Michael Cohen's congressional testimony yesterday.

1. Conspiracy to defraud the United States (collusion) - Cohen's allegation that Trump and Stone spoke about the impending Wikileaks release of DNC emails before they were released with Stone asserting to Trump that he had communicated with Assange.

2. False statements - In response to a written question from Mueller, Trump reportedly denied ever having spoken to Stone about Wikileaks. Cohen said this is false.

3. False statements - In response to a written question from Mueller, Trump reportedly denied knowing about Don Jr's Trump Tower Meeting with Russians. Cohen said this is false.

4. Campaign finance violations - Cohen provided a check that shows that Trump reimbursed him for the $130,000 he paid to Stormy Daniels to conceal their affair.

5. Conspiracy to defraud the United States (election fraud) - Cohen alleged that Trump directed him and Allen Weisselberg of the Trump Organization to conceal his affair with Stormy Daniels with the intention of fraudulently influencing an election.

6. False statements on a loan application - Cohen brought Trump's partial financial records for 2011-2013 that Cohen alleged showed that Trump falsely inflated the value of his assets to obtain a loan in order to purchase the Buffalo Bills

7. Insurance fraud - Cohen alleged that Trump would make false insurance claims

8. Tax fraud - Cohen alleged that Trump would knowingly provide inaccurate lower values of his properties in order to fraudulently obtain tax benefits

9. Witness tampering - Cohen said that Trump's threatening tweets were an attempt to intimidate him, saying Trump could do "a lot" to hurt him and his family.

10. Suborning perjury - Cohen says that in a meeting in the White House, Trump indicated that he wanted Cohen to provide a false message saying "No Russia. No collusion."

11. Suborning perjury - Cohen says that Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow edited his Congressional testimony to falsely shorten the duration of the negotiations on the Trump Moscow project.

12. Obstruction of a Congressional proceeding - The witness tampering and the suborning perjury constitutes obstruction of a Congressional proceeding

13. Perjury - Cohen says that Trump's 2013 sworn testimony that he wouldn't recognize Felix Sater was clearly false, explaining that Sater had an office on the same floor as Trump in Trump Tower.

14. Illegal use of charity assets for personal benefit - Cohen alleged that Trump directed him to get a straw bidder to buy a portrait of Trump at an auction and that Trump then directed the Trump Foundation to reimburse the fake bidder with its assets.

ima_drummer2k and JuanValdez like this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

don't see how Pennsylvania is a toss up or really Wisconsin but I can see an argument.

i also don't see them as being as prone to misinformation as in the past.

i also can see a red state flipping to blue just as some blue did to red this last election.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Way too early to tell.

Depends on who the democratic nominee will be.

Depends on whether Schultz or someone else runs as an independent.

It's not unreasonable at this point to call Wisconsin or Pennsylvania tossups when Trump won them last time.

If I had to guess right now... Democrats win the White House, keep the house, and republicans keep the Senate.

Nook likes this.
  14. WNBA

WNBA Member

[​IMG]

never a toss up when Russian is in Trump red.

[​IMG]

dobro1229, mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  15. IVFL

IVFL Member

16. biff17

biff17 Member

What Nominee do you think is so reprehensible that most voters will vote for Trump over them?

Yes it is unreasonable to think that he can win Wisconsin and Pennsylvania again because he won them by such a small margin and they voted for Democrats by wide margins in 2018.

I can see that being the scenario in 20/20 as well.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It isn't even that they would vote for Trump, it is that without an exciting candidate they might just not vote at all. While an energized Trump base will vote for sure.

Nook likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Most voters don't have to vote for Trump. Just the ones in the right states. I don't know who is going to be the nominee but some will appeal to Wisconsin/Pennsylvania voters more than others.

Trump won Wisconsin by 23k votes. New democrat governor in 2018 won by 30k votes. 300k more votes in 2016 than in 2018. Not a huge margin and nobody had Trump winning in 2016. Who knows who comes out for him in 2020.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

On the flip side there will be far less voters who are excited by Trump these days.

You also have to factor in that Republicans will be far less energized when Hillary is not on the ballet.

Trumps base is about 35% that's not enough when Trump has an energized base of non support.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Wisconsin is a moderate, low key Midwest state that tends to be adverse to what is viewed as California or NY influence.

It is a white state, it isn’t going to be as open minded as a lot of states. There is a reason Trump won.

It doesn’t entirely matter if the nominee pushes the GND if they are saddled with it. Do I worry about if the nominee is Biden or Coons? No I don’t. However if someone like Harris wins? Yes absolutely.

The Midwest in a lot of areas is not the most receptive to minority or radical candidates. Yes, I believe states like Ohio and Wisconsin are more accepting of Trump’s BS than they are of a radical democratic candidate.