1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami locks up 2nd seed

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by freeze00up, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So does this mean you aren't going to answer the question?

Yes it's a team sport, and the winning teams typically have a certain amount of talent on them. If every title team since 1980 but 2 had at least 2 HOF players on the team, then I think it's safe for me to conclude that you need a certain amount of talent on your team to win a title. I assure you I can list wayyyyyyy more than 2 teams that won the most games in the regular season and didn't win the NBA title.

So again, care to answer the question and support how his team had enough supporting talent to win compared to the types of teams that historically win the NBA title?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm not going to answer your question because it's dumb.

By your logic, Lebron shoud've just quit after regular season after getting the number one seed because obvious history says there is zero possibility of Cavs winning. He should've demanded a trade the year he made the finals against the Spurs, because history says he will never win a ring without Wade and Bosh.

In fact, why is Derrick Rose and the Bulls still playing this year, he should be demanding a trade to join Knicks or Dwight Howard because he obviously doesn't have another HOF on his team, so his team is not title worthy.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No his supporting cast did not show up in some games, but neither did he in those last two games against the celtics.

the Cavs the TEAM played bad in the playoffs, that includes Lebron.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

He showed up defensively and shut down Paul Pierce. Offensively he struggled yes but he still put up numbers that suggest him not showing up is false.

Lakers best player struggles against Boston and his supporting cast steps up big time.

Cleveland best player struggles while still performing better than Kobe did and his supporting cast went down the drain.

Don't blame him for leaving one bit.

5. Icehouse

The question isn't dumb at all and you are refusing to answer because you know I have a valid point. You guys are bashing him for going to play with more talent when history clearly shows that you need more talent on your team to win. It is possible to win without a great supporting cast, which is why you should not quit during the season (to answer your question), but history shows us that it is highly unlikely. And even more unlikely when your supporting cast plays like garbage in the postseason (see Mo. Williams).

If he wins with Wade and Bosh he will be like the majority of other stars that won with great talent on their teams.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's stupid, I don't remember Dwight Howard asking for a trade after VC and Shad didn't do crap against the Celtics. Somehow Dwight Howard had a great team, and Lebron's supporting cast is D-league.

and No that doesn't justify one bit for leaving. when was the last time a star went, we were eliminated in the playoffs after a tough series, F the rest of the team, you all suck, I'm going to find HoF.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you saying Chicago is not contenders this year, because the only star I see on that team is Derrick Rose.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol @ that's stupid. What is stupid is that comparison you just used. LeBron James did not ask for a trade he was a free agent and he left. He was there 6 years and felt like he couldn't win a Championship. He grew frustrated and unhappy in Cleveland. I guess he should please the public instead of pleasing himself.

Stars that have left

Shaq
    Carmelo Anthony
    Tracy McGrady
    Grant Hill
    Vince Carter

Shall I continue?

Kobe asked for a trade he just wasn't granted so lucky for him or he would have been included.

Oh and as for your Dwight Howard thing there are whispers that he may night be playing for Orlando when his contract is up.

9. Icehouse

I'm saying if the Bulls win a title then they will become one of the rare teams to win with only one star player. I don't expect them to win the title.

And I don't recall LeBron asking for a trade either, even though Kobe did. I recall him leaving when he was a free agent.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't fault Lebron for leaving, because it is his decision after all.

I will say that there will be detriments to his legacy, whether people like it or not. It's there. But he chose to go with these detriments for a title, and it's within his rights to do so. Maybe if he won enough, people will forget about it.

I do however disapprove of the diva and drama these guys sprout out within the league. I question Lebron's PR management, and the treatment of his former team. If West did indeed sleep with his mom, and the whole locker room knew about it, then the team deserves some criticism for sure. The city of Cleveland however, as bad as it already is, deserves a better treatment than what Lebron gave them.

Still, whatever people think of last off-season. It was one of NBA's most publicized event in history, and drew in a lot of attention for the league But those attention are for the wrong reasons. Seems more like an exploitative reality show.

I remember when Shaq challenged Hakeem to a 1v1 after the series, too bad that never took place. But THAT is what NBA is about, not some highly publicized player talking for an hour about where he chose to sign.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

edit : meant may not be playing for Orlando

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No you shall not continue, you are just naming stars leaving a franchise, i said when was the last time a star on a contender left after a couple of playoff losses.

Check Vince Carter's Raptors when he asked for a trade, check Tmac's magic when he asked for a trade. Check Kobe's Lakers when he asked for a trade. Melo notified his team like a year prior and they ended up with a boatload of young talent and picks from the trade.

Oh boohoo, he was there for 6 years and no championship, he's frustrated because his team had the best record in the league for two years straight, his teamates are so bad, poor Lebron.. give me a break why does he feel so entitled that he is so great that he must have a ring by now.. He's 25 years old, and still improving, it's not like he's going to retire next year and absolutely needs a ring before he goes out.

13. Icehouse

When was the last time a star on a contender had the opportunity to leave? Additionally, when was the last time a star on said contender was clearly playing with less talent than the teams that were winning?

No matter how much you deny it, the Cavs had less supporting talent than the teams that won titles during those seasons, than the teams that eliminated them and the teams that historically win titles.

Teams can overachieve in the regular season for the top record (see the 07 Mavs and the 95 Spurs for example), but you typically don't overachieve to a title. Again, I can name plenty of teams with top regular season records that didn't win a title. You will struggle to identify teams without 2nd stars winning titles.

14. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

??? That's not what i said or meant. Off course shaq/duncan was/is the primary player on his team.

What i meant was, the Heat have to make clear that Wade is number 1 and go to guy. This doesn't mean that he will take every last shot or every ball in clutch moments. It's just about knowing your place and making the team better or function better.

For example: on the Lakers team Shaq was the man, Kobe second (atleast first two champs of those two together). Later with Miami, Shaq (and he said it himself) was 2nd and Wade first. Not meaning Shaq didn't do nothing important. But because he knew his place and didn't acted like he was the man, the team increased their changes of a championship, which they eventually won. In the last shaq-kobe years they didnt win, because those two were fighting for the primary roll on the lakers squad.

to sum up: it can't go well if there are two captains on a ship, one has to take a step back. if i had Lebron and Wade on my team, Wade would be the captain (if healthy). I think the change of a championship would be higher.

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Convenient that you failed to mention Shaq, who was at the top of the list you're quoting. When he left Orlando, their two previous seasons had resulted in 57 wins and a trip to the Finals followed by 60 wins and a trip to the conference Finals.

16. Icehouse

But Wade hasn't been the #1 guy. LeBron has. If your definition is Wade is the #1 guy in the 4th or the clutch, then in that case it hasn't been Shaq or Duncan for their teams when they won titles either. That's why I'm trying to get clear definitions before the playoffs start so we won't have a bunch of excuses and hating later on if the Heat win.

So if your criteria of a #1 guy is the dude who takes shots in the clutch or takes over in the 4th then that isn't Duncan and Shaq, it's Manu/Parker and Kobe.

I don't see how you can't conclude that LeBron isn't the man when he leads the team in games played, points, assists and is second in rebounds.

17. Icehouse

Good catch. And what do you know, it just so happens to be one of the few instances where a guy did have the chance to leave.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

So you're making excuses for Melo leaving?

Ok rightt clearly you have an agenda against LeBron if you respect what Melo did but bash Bron for what he did.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Exactly and then the excuse used for Melo is just laughable considering the guy claimed LeBron demanded a trade and bashed him for that when Bron didn't even demand a trade.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Going to sleep.

Wake me up when the Eastern conference second round begins.