1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Miami Herald] Shaq-Marion Deal In Works (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsPimp, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

only way this makes sense is if the heat give up their first to phoenix for atlanta's 1st but why would they do that?

2. Asian Sensation

Not if the Suns win a championship and Shaq just might make that dream become a reality for many Suns fans.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To keep a young athletic Marion or the cap space to add Brand or Arenas.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

The Suns were not going to win anything with Marion. I think this is a good trade for them.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I just looked at their salary cap. Lets say this does happen:

1. Traded for Marion

Then they use Ricky Davis' and Smush Parkers' expiring contract for Mike Miller

2. Traded for Mike Miller

Then in the offseason, they somehow get Arenas on board

3. Sign Gilbert Arenas

PG: Wade
    SG: Arenas
    SF: Mike Miller
    PF: Shawn Marion
    C: Pick one

That lineup right there is downright NASTY. And they go from being the worst team in the league to one of the best (if not THE) in the East.

6. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

O almighty god... This is insane. More so than the Gasol trade. That one at least makes sense from a financial aspect. Now this one... They couldn't net anybody better than Shaq? Simply mind-blowing.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Have you seen Shaq play this season.....that's when he has played???
    The man's career is done, Nash might bring out the best in what he has left, BUT how's he going to fit the run and gun? Unless they change their game I doubt it's possible. In my opinion this is a horrible trade, but hell it makes it more exciting for fans....

8. DVauthrin

fair enough, I guess if they do go that route, it means riley can't take losing.

9. dedong22

dedong22 Member

two interesting trades happened this week thus far, hope WE do something before all-star break, hopefully making a splash!

10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Why do people think this is a horrible trade? Marion is not going to help them win a championship. Plus, with him publicly stating that he wanted out means that the market for him probably went down.

Shaq is not as over-the-hill as some of you make him out to be. The way he dominated Yao earlier this season shows he's still got it. At least enough to be a big help to Phoenix's post-season run.

Nash is a 34 year old PG who's not about to get any quicker or faster. He and Phoenix want to win now. They don't want to be this fast-paced gimmick team anymore. Teams don't win the ring without a low-post threat.

Some of you fear the fast pace Suns in the regular season b/c the Rockets struggle against it. Truth is, they're completely vulnerable against the spurs in the playoffs. But with Shaq in the lineup, Duncan won't have such an easy time scoring inside. Getting Shaq would solidify them as a title contender in my opinion.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

12. demon77

demon77 Member

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

Dang it you beat me to it. I can't believe that Shaq is back in the West on a Phoenix Suns team. The West is simply ridiculously good.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Marion is a good bail out for Nash as Nash always keeps his dribble alive. Shaq, 5 foot out is not nearly as effective. As a Rocket's fan, I root for this trade to go down.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

another way to look at it. yao and amare cancel each other out. hayes, scola, and landry all line up to be teabagged by shaq with a big cheesy grin on his face.

16. Asian Sensation

The knack on the Suns for the past 4 years or so is that they're a "run and gun" only team. This is the reason why many believed the Lakers had a chance against the Suns in a 7 game series the previous 2 times they faced each other. Their run and gun style is also the reason why the Spurs got the better of them in the playoffs. Shaq may have declined a lot but I wouldn't put it against him to pull out another ring. Besides this finally gives the Suns the half court presence they have always coveted which may not be as useful or necessary as it surely will be in the PLAYOFFS. Amare becomes more beastly solely based on playing next to Shaq.

As a basketball fan I'm very excited about this trade. As a Rockets fan and for any other fan of a team in the Western Conference...... Watch the F out.

17. DVauthrin

Shaq is way over the hill. He can't stay healthy and his athleticism is shot.
    You also can't go from one style to the other extreme in one fell swoop. The rest of the roster is built for an uptempo game. Sure they needed a low post threat who can do the dirty work, but shaq isn't the right fit. All memphis wanted for gasol was picks and expiring contracts, are you telling me that marion for gasol would not have worked for memphis? The suns get the low post guy but one athletic enough to keep the style intact.

This is a desperate move that is going to backfire in their face unless they squeezed miami's 1st out of the deal.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

Get ready for Shaq vs Yao Part II

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

I just cant imagine Nash in a half-court offense. He has never been in one in his career.

20. dedong22

dedong22 Member

make that shaq+amare vs. yao