1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Miami Herald] Minn. Newspaper Suspends Two Reporters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Oct 19, 2004.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Has this kinda sh*t happened before GWB The Uniter was Prez, going back to the Red Scare of the 50s?

Minn. Newspaper Suspends Two Reporters
    Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Two newspaper reporters who went to see the Boss perform at a political fund-raising concert got in trouble with their own boss.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press suspended investigative reporters Chuck Laszewski and Rick Linsk for three days each after they attended the Oct. 5 "Vote for Change" concert by Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M. and other artists at Xcel Energy Center.

The Newspaper Guild is contesting the unpaid suspensions.

Pioneer Press Editor Vicki Gowler wrote in a Sept. 27 memo to staff that the paper's ethics policy bars them from activities that would conflict with their employment, including "concerts that are held as political fundraisers." Several other newspapers had issued similar warnings to reporters.

Gowler did not return a phone message seeking comment Tuesday.

Laszewski said the e-mail referred to weekend, general assignment, and political reporters. He said he figured he was in the clear because he's on the investigative team.

"It was fabulous," Laszewski said of the concert. "It's getting to be exorbitantly expensive for me, but it was terrific."

The reporters already served their suspensions, but the Guild is trying to get the punishment overturned.

Guild executive officer Mike Sweeney said the Pioneer Press refused to change its position during a meeting Monday. He expects the matter to go to arbitration.

Sweeney said Laszewski was on the committee that pressed for an ethics policy in 2000.

"We're not saying the company doesn't have a right to be concerned about the ethics, and the off-duty behavior of its reporters," Sweeney said. "But they have to meet a standard. We can't allow a company to subjectively decide what is or is not a conflict."

#1 No Worries, Oct 19, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what does this have to do with Bush?

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

With the kind of lineup it has - how many people at that "Vote for Change" concert were there for political reasons? and how many just to hear some good music?

4. No Worries

Reading between the lines, I am sure that GWB was on the horn to the St. Paul Pioneer Press owner, demanding these two be suspended. (I have as much evidence for this as GWB does for prewar Iraq's nukulur program).

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There was a girl who got fired from my company last week for sending inappropriate email.

Reading between the lines, I blame Bush.

6. No Worries

Gotta agree here. When in doubt, blame W.

But seriously, was this type of "ethics" policy and enforcement common before GWB? I eagarly await the "911 changed everything" reply,

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know. Even if there is a quantifiable pre-W/post-W difference though, you still don't know if it has anything at all to do with W. My first thought goes to the reporters who embarassed their respective newspapers with plagarism and made-up stories. Some things do happen independent of the president.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

What does this have to do with today's politics or with W?

If anything, we should be thankful in these times that a journalistic publication enforces an ethical code. They're being draconian about it, but that will probably be up to arbitration to decide.

Seems the only reason you're riled is that they enforced the policy regarding an anti-bush activity.

9. No Worries

"We're not saying the company doesn't have a right to be concerned about the ethics, and the off-duty behavior of its reporters," Sweeney said. "But they have to meet a standard. We can't allow a company to subjectively decide what is or is not a conflict."

10. No Worries

Also

Laszewski said the e-mail referred to weekend, general assignment, and political reporters. He said he figured he was in the clear because he's on the investigative team.

BTW, where are the stories of the flip side? like reporters attending pro-Bush events in their spare time?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe what Republican reporters there are out there know better than to compromise their veneer of impartiality by attending political rallies?

I agree with Sweeney that papers can't just disallow private activity at their discretion. There has to be a standard rule to avoid undue infringements on the rights of their reporters. I hope they work it out in arbitration.

But, I still don't understand how this has anything at all to do with W.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the "blame bush" crowd loses a lot of credibility with something like this. it starts to sound a lot like the republican mantra of, "why does X hate America?"

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ethic codes like this are SOP at most major newspapers and have been for decades, to my knowledge.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I really don't see how Bush could possibly be connected to this in the slightest way, but I do think that a newspaper sanctioning reporters for attending a concert is WAY over the line. If I was a huge fan of Springsteen (I'm not), I would attend the concert whether the proceeds were being donated to a political cause or not. If this was a paid Kerry (or Bush, FTM) fundraiser, I could see the point of an ethics complaint, but this was a concert, for crying out loud.

15. No Worries

the "blame bush" crowd loses a lot of credibility with something like this.

GWB has set this type of tone by the actions of his Administration. GWB not only does not tolerate dissent; he actively punishes those that do.

16. MadMax

you're reaching. and it looks silly. GWB has not set the tone to be blamed for every personnel action in every major employer around the country. you're making an assertion without any information to support it.

17. No Worries

So when the Dixie Chicks get banned from Clear Channel radio stations, there is no political angle at all? despite the close ties with the Bush Admin?

The St. Paul Pioneer Press story smacks of either incompetence or retribution. The owners may very well be Democrats. I do not know. It is just that this is a type of story I don't remember reading about 10 years ago.

Alos, given the consolidation in broadcasting, it is not far fetch to assume that the very corporate, very Republicans owners are taking cues from the Prez on how to run their shops. This is speculation on my part, but not without some merit.

18. MadMax

my last post reads like the post of a jackass. sorry. didn't mean it to come across like that, NW.

19. No Worries

I did not take it that way.

BTW, my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote "when in doubt, blame bush". Consolidation in broadcasting and vicious political infighting both happened on Clinton's watch. I have changed my mind; it must be Clinton's fault.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

A bit of info from someone in MN about the Pioneer Press. The Pioneer Press is the smaller of the two Twin Cities major papers behind the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The Strib as it is called has long been considered a very liberal paper and has frequently been the target of Republicans for their editorials, choice of stories and polling. The Pioneer Press is considered more conservative, even if just in comparison to the the Strib, and has been working to brand itself as a more hard nose in your face investigative paper.

As for the Vote for Change show I missed it but from what I heard it was a pretty awesome show. Neil Young made a surprise appearance and brought the house down with an all-star jam on Keep on Rockin in the Free World.