1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Heat Waive Chris Bosh

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AKVerse47, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wait you take blood thinners but your blood can get too thin? Can't u just stop medication when that happens?

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe he can wear a football helmet with spikes on top. Next time Green tries his kicking antics he can take a spike to his knee

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yeah you can. If your inr gets too low you just dont take it for a couple days and your fine. Its not a big deal as long as theres no internal bleeding. Thats where sports come in. You bruise easier so anything that would give a normal person a concussion could cause you to bleed out in your brain.

Im cleared to play. I play bball with friends every now and then. I just wouldnt be cleared to play football or contact sports.

Doctors wouldnt clear nba guys because their bodies are all weapons lol. You are by big buff guys over 6'5 everywhere so its a lot more of a risk.

Me playing pickup bball every now and then is a lot different then bosh playing intense physical bball near everyday half the year.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Im not sure the other players doctors would like it if bosh wore a spiked helmet lmao

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not a doctor but he claims that a hockey player with his exact same condition has played five years on a specific regimen. Basically he takes the blood thinner for travel but this particular one clears in 8 hours. It can be out of his system before any games which would remove the risk of danger during a game.

6. justtxyank

They've cleared a few hockey players without issue

7. Daddy Long Legs

They have helmets though. I take blood thinners and hear about what concerns are real and which ones arent 1st hand.

It comes down to making sure bosh doesnt get a traumatic head injury while his blood is too thin.

The fact that nhl players play low to the ground and wear helmets makes a huge difference.

Im cleared to do everything in my normal dude life so i know that its not a big deal and his body is fine. Nobody is just going to risk the head injury.

That pau gasol elbow to james harden mightve seriously hurt or killed bosh.

That harden elbow to marcus smart mightve seriously hurt or killed bosh.

8. justtxyank

What's your response to the report that he has a blood thinner that is totally clear from
    The system within 8 hours, meaning by game time his blood would be at normal levels

9. Daddy Long Legs

None whatsoevet. Im not a doctor and thats not what I take. I take coumadin/warfarin.

The thing is, if it is not affecting his blood thickness within 8 hours of taking it then wouldnt that leave him succeptible to blood clots after the 8 hours?

A normal person has a blood thickness level of 1.0 if you are succeptible to blood clots then you are going to take thinners to prevent coagulation. My target range is an inr of 1.5 to 2.5

I dont know what his condition is but that makes little sense to me that he would take a blood thinner that allows his inr to become 1.0 after 8 hours.

So are you saying that he wakes up early in the morning, takes a blood thinner that allows him to 8 hours later is back to having an inr of 1.0? That doesnt seem like a desired effect of a blood thinner. That means he is at risk for clots again.

Link?

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How do you check the thinness of your blood? Can someone check it every day to make sure it's not too thin? Or if this can change by the hour, then can someone check it before and during half time of every game?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, just trying to understand this thing in simplified terms.

11. Daddy Long Legs

not silly questions at all. you can check your inr anytime you like if you have the right device. Similar to how a diabetic can check their glucose anytime they want.

you prick yourself and wipe the blood on a strip. It wouldn't change by the hour. It would be redundant to check inr more than once a day. It doesn't change that quickly.

someone like me though only needs to get it tested every 2 months.

12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Signing Bosh definitely falls into "upping our risk profile". Imagine Durant/Green guarding Bosh at the 5 with Melo at the 4 unreal!

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So my understanding is that the danger of internal bleeding is only more significant if his blood is not at the right inr, but for a professional athlete, they will essentially never perform without making sure the inr is exactly where it should be. I imagine this would take time to perfect with a medical and coaching staff too.

Then on top of that, let's say he receives permission to wear rugby head gear, which protects him at least a little bit, and poses no danger to other players. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

The next hurdle becomes getting clearance from a doctor. But apparently hockey players have received clearance before, and while they wear helmets, they also have hockey sticks, pucks and far more altercations.

Btw I'm not just desperate to sign Bosh. I don't think he will be worth more than the minimum once you factor in risk/reward. But I love to see a person pioneering things to do something they love and make way for people in the future with similar issues. And it would be a great story, even if it were for 1 year as a backup and retire on his own terms.

Our situation suits him too. He can play the Montrezl Harrell role, mostly playing on Nene's nights off. If it doesn't work out, we can easily find someone to fill that spot (Nanu) and I think his experience would be a positive on the bench anyway. We're contending. I guess he's friends with Paul.

Let's see what the doctors say I guess? I hate doctors.

roslolian likes this.
  14. Daddy Long Legs

I admire the optimism and you raise some good points but you are at an increased risk of internal bleeding even within your target range. does a doctor want to risk their reputation/license and clear bosh knowing that there is a chance he would get hit in the head, bleed out, and die even if we do everything right?

I really do admire the optimism though, like I said I live an active lifestyle and play bball. His body is fine and I"m sure he's very good still. Doctors are just scared of people like BD Nene accidentally elbowing his head. That ron artest to james harden elbow almost assuredly would kill him haha. At least he would require medical attention and would be bleeding in his brain.

i'm a bosh fan because of this blood thinner thing. He actually started his therapy before mine. Mine was started a year and a half ago when I had to get a piece of pyrolitic carbon put into my heart valve to open it up because it was narrowing too much. The exact same thing that happened to arnold schwarzanegger and he's fine and lives a healthy/active lifestyle. Everything is fine about the heart, just need to keep the blood thin to make sure it doesn't coagulate when it touches the carbon. Just preventative stuff.

Bosh's condition is different then me and arnold's but they both require blood thinners and thats the only issue at stake when it comes to playing professional sports.

we will see how this plays out. is bosh still trying to convince doctors to let him?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well honestly now that I think about it...why will Bosh play in Houston when he can play in Cleveland? As a vet min guy he can play wgerever he wants and beating up the East and ticket to sure Finals seems better than slugging it out in the West.