1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MGS4 question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CDogg, Jun 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

I'm a new PS3 owner, and never owned a PS before, never played the MGS series, so, is it good to get the MGS 4 now, without playing the I-III? Anybody tried it?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You should probably check out this thread:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=149623

I think if you play MGS4 w/o playing the other games, you'll probably be very confused by the storyline, and you'll also miss a lot of references to the other games, making some things not feel as special as they could. It is a great game though (arguably the best on the PS3...although that might not be debatable), so you would probably enjoy it regardless.

If you decide to play MGS4 w/o playing the other games, then at the very least, you should watch the retrospective that Gametrailers did on the series, which does a nice job of summarizing things IMO:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

3. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

You should get it anyways.

I am biased, the MGS series is one of my favorite, along with Street Fighter (I grew up in arcades).

Granted, you won't feel the "oohs" and "ahhs" of all the story lines tying together, but the game is just a spectacular experience.

Furthermore, the MGS database is soon to be released as a download from PSN. This will help put things together, though it shouldn't be considered a substitute for the rest of the MGS series.

I guess another kicker is Metal Gear Online (MGO) which isn't half bad either.

You can't go wrong getting the game. You'll probably want to revisit the rest of the games anyways. Just know what you're getting yourself into :)

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The MGS database is already available to download from the PSN.

5. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

If I was confused and I've played them all, you will be out in space.

Very fun game, just get ready to watch a lot of movies. IMO the first 3 1/2 acts are awesome, with it kind of puttering out at the end.