1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mexico's Club America to move MLS's Quakes to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Jun 4, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

The MLS Earthquakes are exploring options in San Antonio and Houston in case progress is not made this year toward securing a new soccer-specific stadium in the San Jose area, according to Dylan Hernandez of the SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS. San Jose Budget & Policy Dir Joe Guerra is "under the impression" that team owner AEG would rather move the team than have it play in a renovated Spartan Stadium.

Blackmun added that AEG has not decided when it would move the team.

Guerra noted the Houston scenario could unfold if the Earthquakes are sold to Club America, and Blackmun indicated that AEG is in talks with Club America, but would not comment on the potential sale.

Link to article

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latter scenario has been rumored for quite some time since Mexican rival Chivas bought an MLS expansion team. Club America has made it clear several time since then that they intend to purchase a team, whether it be via expansion or existing team, and move them to Houston, which it feels is the best untapped market available.

Just a side note........Chivas USA (MLS expansion team) has not found a home yet. Chivas owner Jorge Vergara is said to be in talks with Chicago, LA and Houston. Fire ownership have told him no to the idea of Chicago supporting two teams but LA is open to the idea.

Either way, it now looks like a Mexican league team will probably be the owner of a Houston MLS team.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

That would be cool, but damn, I'm already a big fan of DC united.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think it would be great either way. A natural rival is in place with the Burn. They could bring home some local talent (Rusty Pierce, Chris Gbandi, Imad Baba if he is still playing somewhere) and still bring in some Mexican players. Being in Austin, I'd happily make the trek to see some games.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Finally a soccer team to root for!

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

It would be great to have a team in Houston, but would they play in Reliant, or would a soccer-only stadium need to be built?

#5 RocketFan007, Jun 4, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Chris Gbandi?

Did he go to Cy-Falls?

7. haven

haven Member

THe MLS is leaning strongly to soccer only. It wouldn't surprise me, if they wanted to badly enough, if they were to play at Reliant temporarily before moving.

I hate the Mexican League involvement with the American soccer teams. 1. Their league's style of play sucks, I don't want that here. 2. They're our natural rivals, nationally. And they're actually kind of psychotic ab out it. I don't want them having any avenues into our league.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I hate the Mexican League 1. Their league's style of play sucks, I don't want that here. 2. They're our natural rivals, nationally. And they're actually kind of psychotic ab out it

I agree and im from mexico but i hate soccer

9. synergy

synergy Member

sign me up for season tickets. :D

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I want Freddy Adu!!!!

11. leroy

Yes. He currently plays for Dallas.

Rusty Pierce (Revs) is from The Woodlands (and a former player of mine)
    Imad Baba is out of the league currently, but isn't more than 30 and could certainly still play. Same with Johnny Ramirez.

There are other Houston raised players all over the MLS. I just can't think of any of their names.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, that would be sweet. I would definetly start to follow the MLS if Houston gets a team. I am a die hard Houston fan, not matter what the sport....(professional), minus the Comets. I can't watch the WNBA.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

His brother Sandy, went to my high school.

I have him on tape just juking this one guy.

Everybody in the crowd said Holy **** on the tape in unison. He tore this guy up.

14. surrender

surrender Member

F'n awesome.

They could probably play at Robertson Stadium or Rice Stadium if necessary

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I hope the media down there embraces the team moreso than the Burn have been embraced in Dallas. The Burn don't get all that much coverage locally. They aren't completely ignored, but they're definitely below just about everything else (I personally hear more about the Desperados and even the RoughRiders than the Burn).

Not that I make a big attempt to follow the team anyway, but the television and radio don't make it easy to follow the Burn.

Once they get their new stadium opened up in Frisco, I wouldn't mind checking out a game.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

can we say OVERRATED

but this woudl be awesome to get an MLS team....

Makes Htown that much more better of a town

17. leroy

I really don't think that we can call a 14 year old "overrated". If in 5 years he isn't playing up to the hype, then maybe.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This would be cool...I can't wait...

19. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

I have heard that the playing site depends on the ownership group somewhat. If Bob McNair and the Reliant folks are involved at all as partial owners, then playing in Reliant Stadium can occur. For a long time that was assumed to be the scenario of any MLS team in Houston in the short term, but things have changed since the Mexican teams got involved. I think Robertson and Rice are out by the way, even as short term sites.

20. leroy

I would think that Robertson would be an ideal site until a soccer specific stadium could be built. It's not too big. The field is large enough. Rice's field is too narrow. That is why the 94 WC wasn't in Houston.