1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mexican Drug Violence, Houston Gun Stores

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just got a call from someone from HDNet World News wanting to interview me about gun violence in Mexico and Houston gun stores. I'm still debating whether to call back. This seems like one of those issues like abortion where no about of jawing back and forth will change anybody's mind.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I would not return the call if I were you. You don't want your name out there in the open on this topic -- could put you in danger.

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Fixed!

For the record read the second amendment and go read some of the founders writings as to why its the 2nd amendment right after freedom of speech.

And to correct Samifishers typical biased comment about "gun show loop holes". We live in a free market that allows products to be bought and sold and guns are a product classified as arms. All people who purchase arms at a gun show go through a background check and if flags are raised they go into a waiting period or are denied outright. If after purchasing those arms they decided to commit an illegal act then it is their fault, not the gun show
    or its vendors. By your insane logic we should be sueing auto makers for hit and run drivers.

On an aside, if we had stronger border security this whole Mexican cartel thing would be a mute point.

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

moot (mt)
    adj.
    1. Subject to debate; arguable: a moot question.
    a. Law Without legal significance, through having been previously decided or settled.
    b. Of no practical importance; irrelevant.

mute (myt)
    adj. mut·er, mut·est
    1. Refraining from producing speech or vocal sound.
    a. Often Offensive Unable to speak.
    b. Unable to vocalize, as certain animals.
    3. Expressed without speech; unspoken: a mute appeal.
    4. Law Refusing to plead when under arraignment.
    5. Linguistics
    a. Not pronounced; silent, as the e in the word house.
    b. Pronounced with a temporary stoppage of breath, as the sounds (p) and (b); plosive; stopped.
    n.
    1. Often Offensive One who is incapable of speech.
    2. Law A defendant who refuses to plead when under arraignment.
    3. Music Any of various devices used to muffle or soften the tone of an instrument.
    4. Linguistics
    a. A silent letter.
    b. A plosive; a stop.
    tr.v. mut·ed, mut·ing, mutes
    1. To soften or muffle the sound of.
    2. To soften the tone, color, shade, or hue of.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

OddsOn, it looks like you've been fmullegunned down. :D

6. thumbs

Off topic, Ottomaton, but where or what website is the best place to find a Remington 1200 12-guage auto action with a 28 or 30-inch full choke and/or an M-1 carbine that is well-made (there are a lot of knock-offs that don't shoot well from what I understand).

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

M1

http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

WTF is a Remington 1200?

8. thumbs

A Remington 1200 is a Model 1100 with a typo. :D Back in the 80s I had a full choke (not a muzzle variable) but sold it and quit hunting after a poacher almost blew my head off while I was retrieving a dove. Back then I was an avid bird hunter, but now I can't bring myself to consciously take life. But it was a sweet shooting gun.

The M-1 is a nice brush gun that might come in handy if I get treed by javelina, a real possibility where I am moving. That actually happened to me in my younger days. I'm not nearly as agile now, but I'm sure an occasion like that would motivate me to new levels of spry. Back then I was using one of my best friend's M-1s, and I've always wanted one for my own.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not like its any big secret, but:

http://www.gunbroker.com

Is far and away the best place on the web to get guns.

Truthfuly, as far as buying guns, I would highly, highly recomend that you wait about 3-4 months. The demand recently has been through the roof. To give you an idea, the ATF ran out of the 4473 (background search) forms. Those forms are essentially the entire reason that the firearms division exists, but they were overwhelmed. There have been whole lines of guns that have been out of stock with all the wholesalers since December.

It will eventually calm down, but right now, sellers who still have M1's or AR's or CZ Pistols, or Springfield XDM's are getting top dollar. There is no way you find a good deal on anything remotely military-looking or with a larger-than-10-round magazine capacity at the moment.

#49 Ottomaton, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009