1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meridian - does this place always suck?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deepellumrocket, Jul 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. deepellumrocket

So I went to the Eisley show at Meridian last night and there was no air-conditioning. It was the first show I had ever been to at that venue and I was wondering if anybody else here has had a similar experience there. The bands said that the air-conditioning was broken, but there were rumors floating through the crowd that the owner decides not to run it sometimes to save money. After the 100-degree day we had yesterday, that place was just a sauna. In fact, the first band, Pilotdrift, cut its set short after four songs because their singer began throwing up due to heat exhaustion. Also, according to Eisley's website today, their drummer threw up after the show as well.

Management should have done the right thing and called the show off and offered everybody refunds because the heat was posing a serious health threat.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Damn...in a crowded place with no A/C in Houston the past few days it probably felt like 100+ (at night!).

What I really care about though is Eisley. How were they? Was the lead singer as cute in person as she is in pictures? :eek:

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Drove by there on my way to the Stros game. Meridian looks like a dump. However, I have seen some of my favorite metal concerts in "dumps" just like it. Something about the atmosphere of those places lends them to good concerts.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've played there. Actually, a really nice venue overall. I've never been there without the a/c running, so I doubt it was a cost cutting measure. That is a Clear Channel room, so they can afford to run the a/c.

5. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I went to that concert too, and yeah that heat sucked.

I've been there two other times and that had never happened. And I bet the other concert that was going on did have A/C.

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Screw the Meridian... that place does suck.

Did they have the band in the room with the 8 foot ceilings and stupid @ss curtains everywhere???

I went to a show there, Gomez, and they stuck them in that sh!thole of a room, with a stage that was barely a foot off the ground, I couldn't see the band from anywhere in the room. It totally sucked and I promised I would NEVER go back to that sh!thole and I haven't.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I've been to a few shows there, and I like it pretty well. It's not my favorite venue in Houston, but it's one of the better ones. It can be pretty difficult to see anything when you're in the back though.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Anyone gonna go there for oakenfold and armin van buuren.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Meridian doesn't suck as bad as Numbers. Man, Numbers turns off the A/C just in order to sell more drinks.

10. inler

inler Contributing Member

i was at that show too! it was by far the hottest show i had ever been to (and i go to ALOT of shows) and it was also my first at the meridian. eisley was amazing though, and i would stand through the same conditions to watch them again.

11. Toast

Toast Member

I've been to the Meridian several times (even played there once). I like the fact that they have 2 stages to cater to different sized crowds.

I've never had a problem with the AC before. People are all nice as can be. Clear Channel does have their hands on that place, though, so I dunno if that affects your perception of it or not.

I have mixed overall feelings about the place, though mostly positive. And as long as they keep bringing in bands I wanna see, I'll keep showing up. They do need to lose the "no re-entry" policy, though. Door guy gave me a hard time once for trying to leave to flyer for another Meridian show! Dumbass.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I've only seen one show there, but the A/C was definitely on.

13. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

my son went and saw Static-X there Tuesday night - he didn't mention anything about no a/c

he enjoyed it, got a drum stick and got to meet the band, get autographs

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Are you going to the Darkest Hour/Bleeding Through show there on the 31st?

15. inler

inler Contributing Member

static x was in the other room at the same time as eisley, lucky for them they were in the bigger room, and eisley was sold out and cramped in the small room with the only releif being the water which was $1.50 for a cup $3 for a bottle or if you were lucky the bands were passing out water between songs. It really was hell in there.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Didn't know about it 'til just now, but if I can find somebody to go w/ me I'll be there. I've seen Darkest Hour four times, the first time in this tiny fraternal order hall opening for Drowningman in like, '99. They've always rocked.

Bleeding Through I can pretty much take or leave.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Free sauna...I wouldn't complain about anything which is free...