1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Men's messenger bags or briefcase...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Aug 16, 2015.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Yeah suitcase is ok. I didn't think of that.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It's best when making any fashion decision to consider whether other men will think you look gay.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

If you don't notice it yourself, it's going to be hard for you to avoid.

4. bobloblaw

It's gonna be real hard. Those dudes are gonna get instant boners when they see your bag.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno. If I had a "real" job in say NYC/Tokyo/London I probably would not be using a backpack from home to office.

If I were mark zuckerberging I suppose I would use what ever I wanted.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My timbuk2 is the ****. Years of abuse and it still looks new.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Something to consider with a laptop in a messenger bag is that you want to minimize the shock the laptop takes as you're walking. Either tighten the straps to keep the bag above the waist or carry it over the shoulder to the side like a purse. You don't want your expensive electronic to absorb bump after bump and shorten its lifespan.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

My man servant who carries my laptop around on business trips wear man purses.

9. conquistador#11

i have a dark brown one i got in mexico circa 1998, still holds up, and always gets compliments which leads to bad small talk. A plaid one and a black one.

whatever choice you make, always wear it across the shoulders not over one, no matter how cool honeybear tells you it is.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The thing about these messenger bags/satchels is that over time it can ruin your posture as your body compensates for uneven weight on one side.

I switched to a backpack because of it.

/techie nerd dbag bagger

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ordered one of these, have heard nothing but great things. My brother has one. It's practical but doesn't look like it's made for practicality. Plus it's made in America so no need to worry about your money leaving the economy or the bag being made by abused children/workers.

http://www.timbuk2.com/

#32 Mathloom, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Back back if I'm going to the office. Computer bag if I'm seeing a client. Not sure why you'd want a purse.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My employer gave me a bag and a backpack to carry my stuff when I was hired 4 years ago. I just use the backpack. Easier.

15. MystikArkitect

I get it, men that can pull off stylish stuff make you uncomfortable and insecure. Get back to your Monster Energy Drinks and your World of Warcraft raids, the grown ups have work to do.

Going back to OP's original post, did end up buying that Billykirk bag. Saw one similar at Polo Ralph Lauren but that thing was 2500 (!). Seems perfect for laptop, book, pen and legal docs.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You need a bag if you're not a boring person who stays home all the time and just makes quick trips out.

If you want to just hang out, walk around and not plan your day like a slave master then there's some stuff you need to have with you.

Like tampons lol jk Seriously, when I leave the house I don't know where I'll go for or after work and I usually don't come home till it's time to sleep. I need my charger, laptop a pair of headphones, a notebook, usb stick and pens. Since I have a bag it also helps to drop my keys and wallet and smartphone in there especially so that I'm not constantly aware I have a smartphone on me.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mine will be for travel and maybe work only/

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

nice thread ladies

[​IMG]

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's not a purse...it's European!

20. bobloblaw

I've had a Coach brief a family member got me a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it came from the outlet store. It's very functional and has held up. Fits a couple books, laptop, etc. It essentially is a computer bag for me. I generally don't use the strap, but would definitely look for another bag with a removable one.

In my experience, only old dudes still use hard shell briefcases.