1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MemphisX] Potential NBA draftees refusing to play in Memphis?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jun 15, 2010.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Does MemphisX still post on here? I'd like to get his .02 on this. Please lock up if posted.

Link

Didn't the same thing happen last year when Rubio and his agent say "no thanks" to Memphis?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can you blame them? Who in their right mind would want to play for that pathetic franchise if they could avoid it?

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't see why not.

Memphis did pretty well this season.

The core of Gay, Randolph and Conley should be pretty enticing.

If you're good, you can get playing time on ANY team.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I wouldn't blame them. The Grizzlies have a terrible organization. They just give away players.

5. steddinotayto

I know the Grizzlies' front office has a track record that's, well, putrid but I haven't heard anyone turn down other horribly-ran teams like the Clippers. I guess the LA allure is the advantage?

At any rate, I don't see why prospects would turn down or refuse to work out for a team when millions are at stake. What if Prospect A refuses to work out for Memphis, drops out of the first round completely (thereby losing GUARANTEED millions), and ends up getting picked in the 2nd Round...or not at all? Not smart I'd say.

6. University Blue

Say it ain't so, Gordo. The league needs to put a stop to this. Maybe ban them from the league for a year.

7. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

fixed

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow does that team need to move.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

If he thinks he good enough, he should go....He might have a chance of playing on the Lakers.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

George and Hayward's stocks have skyrocketed, I don't see either falling out of the lottery just because they turned down a team like the Grizzlies.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

come back to vancouver lol

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Is it even clear that Gay will be back?

And I just can't consider Randolph part of the core no matter how much ability he has. He's too much of a knucklehead.

I'd define Mayo, Gasol, Conley and perhaps eventually Thabeet as the core of that team.

13. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

The situations with Zach and Rudy Gay are definitely a huge turnoff for many prospects. However it doesn't matter how they feel about Memphis because if they are drafted, there is little they can do.

14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Thats what they get for tanking at the end of the season. Karma is a bi@@@.
    But I'm surprise Heyward is being picky where he plays. All this talk that he might go in the top 10 is silly. He might be a good role player but thats it. Not worth it. He might be a steal in the middle round but should not even be in talk about being drafted in the top 10.

15. steddinotayto

Rashard Lewis' stock was high as well and he took a nosedive on draft night. IMO, it's not even about where you THINK you might be heading if you're a prospect, it's about just working out and doing drills that could strengthen and solidify your draft position. They get flown in, get free gear, get room and food paid for and all they have to do drills.

I can understand if you're a projected Top 3 pick not wanting to work out for a team picking in the teens but it just pays to be professional and do some rudimentary drills.

16. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

I would love them to give us Oj Mayo. He would thrive in our system :cool:

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

"I resent that!"

[​IMG]

We already have our OJ Mayo. Don't need another.

18. steddinotayto

Well, if the prospects did their homework, they can see why the Grizzlies would be slow on re-signing both.

Randolph has always put up great numbers and he was pretty much the reason why the Grizzlies were in the playoff hunt this year but his questionable attitude in the past just screams "If I pay him, there's a good chance he's going to mail it in after that"

Gay, on the other hand, is in a weird situation since he's a pretty good player but I think it's more of both Gay and his agent overvaluing him and the Grizzlies wanting to lowball him on an extension. For a guy that wants a pretty big payday, he sure hasn't been improving his game the past couple of seasons.

But in the end, it's all about Heisley being a douche and Wallace being the guy that gives away championship-building pieces.

19. Garner

Garner Member

These kids need to ditch this sense of entitlement. Plain and simple.

20. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I hate how some players say they refuse to play in certain places.
    It's like, do you know how many people wish they could be in your position.
    Playing basketball for a living, and getting paid ridiculous amounts of money.