1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis Grizzlies to sign James Johnson

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Voice of Aus, Dec 16, 2013.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

First double double tonight... 13 and 10. + 3 ast, 2 stl, 3 blk -- to go with just 1 turnover.

Sigh.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

im sure morey can find others who can play the same role his track record of picking random players is exceptional as of late

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Beverley was exceptional but this year Casspi, Brewer, Covington, Canaan are one notch below

4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Good to hear James Johnson is being productive. He was always a decent rotation layer in my mind. His 6'9 frame and good defensive instincts would've been a decent addition to our team but oh well.
    Also whenever James Johnson comes to mind I always envision this play
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2NJLQ2224

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Beverley is one of the few Morey found gems who play defense. Morey seems to like career jumpshooters who don't play D.

6. Voice of Aus

- delfino
    - Garcia
    - camby/dalembert
    - bev
    Then you look at guys who has now showed what they can do given minutes like hill, Morris and I think it's safe to say his track record is in the last 3 years has been one of the best going around,

Also it's not fair to say Canaan and Covington are below par picks. Both has shown a lot on the dleague this year

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought the goal was to find championship caliber role players and not some mediocre NBA type of talent? Ok I will lower my expectations when Morey himself declares us a consistent No. 6-8 team in the West without any ambitions.

8. Voice of Aus

Are u going through some rockets mid life crisis or something?

9. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The problem goes back a couple years. The teams that are on top right now, have at some point tanked a season or two in order to get a high draft pick. OKC Thunder tanked to get Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Portland tanked to get Damian Lillard and Lamarcus Aldridge.

Morey has fielded a 9th place team throughout his career as Rockets GM, ending up with neither a high draft pick or playoff contention.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First off, by finishing 9th so many years in a row, I think we can safely say hat Morey ended up with playoff CONTENTION on a consistent basis. The team just failed to get into the playoffs. Did they legitimately contend for a TITLE? Hell no.

Also, the Blazers got Damian Lillard not be tanking but rather by trading Gerald Wallace to a floundering Nets team with a GM (Billy King) too stupid to see that he was giving away a likely top-7 pick for an aging "star" (Gerald Wallace) whose games relies almost exclusively on his athleticism.

Damn! Who crapped in YOUR cornflakes?

Guys like Aaron Brooks, Marcus Camby, Omri Casspi and even (at the time of his signing) Ronnie Brewer were championship caliber ROLE PLAYER signings. Each is capable of playing a role on a championship team. Also, each was signed for the freaking LEAGUE MINIMUM SALARY.

However, Morey also wants to keep guys like Canaan and Covington on the roster as "projects" who could eventually become rotation contributors on a championship roster. Will they definitely reach that potential? Probably not. But their raw talent is there, so it's worth taking a chance with your 14th and 15th roster spots.

Honestly, I don't understand what your complaint is here. If you can tell me, SPECIFICALLY, what sorts of moves you think Morey should have made--in the context of trying to navigate the salary cap to add guys like Harden and Howard--then I am happy to read them.

1 person likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sort of.
    Tired of falling short/and years of mediocrity.
    Even when we had two stars the best we got was a 4th/5th place in a long time. Behind teams that were great and just better.

Getting back to the topic at hand. Miss and fail with Morey here.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have the greatest respect for what you do. Let me just say that upfront.
    It's not like that I don't like going into the whole salary cap situation but apart from the CBA and matters revolving around that I strongly believe a contender can only be built when you have enough knowledge and wisdom in your organization.

I agree we have that in Morey who is an innovator. Is he and his FO team enough to build a contender? He was clever to use the charisma of McHale to lure a superstar to this team. The charisma that he and Alexander lacked. He had the luck of a hard worker and smart man to get Harden.
    Is the combination of Morey/McHale/Alexander really perfect for contention? With Alexander treating the Rockets more as a hobby in contrast to the knowledge of a Mark Cuban and McHale as an inexperienced coach who is using unorthodox methods at times to get through to his players.

We are facing the same problems as with Yao and Tracy before.
    Neither of these two Harden or Howard are natural leaders. They play very well but at times cannot lift the performance of the team to another level.

We are dependent on role players to break out (sometimes as stars) and that has luck written all over it. There are too many X factors and question marks.
    It is a hard task to achieve and I will be following any improvements of the team but am I overly optimistic? Skeptical at best.

It could work with the hiring of Morey instead of Dawson but there are too many flaws in the system for now.

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Role players, if they have the potential, need playing time to develop into stars. How many minutes a game does D-Mo get ?

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He should have kept Ware somehow after the preseason was over. He could have gone to the Vipers.

15. KlutchQT

Hardly any minutes lately. Dumb.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

With the Lee trade and Gasol returning soon, I expect him to ride the pine

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If he's not going to play much, and with the Griz now right up against the luxury tax after the Lee trade, there is the real possibility that Johnson gets waived on Tuesday. (I assume that his contract is non-guaranteed.)

Assuming he clears waivers (which is not a very safe assumption), he'll have PLENTY of 10-day contract offers from which to choose.

Wonder if he'd pick Memphis or Houston. Both organizations showed faith in him this year.

18. KlutchQT

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he got waived. They really had no choice but to lean on him w/ Tayshaun sidelined, but he seems relatively healthy and back to his usual minutes at this point.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he is better than TJones right now.

DD

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I am here to eat crow
    https://vine.co/v/h3W2I93Xqgx

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e8ytEZzIJNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [​IMG]
    Practicing minutes AFTER the Grizz lost to the Spurs

First Lin, now James Johnson

Ladies and gentlemen, we lost a good one