1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis Commercial Appeal] Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

But Solid, you really should be used to seeing this by now. I gave up letting this bother me years ago. This is only year one of MoreyBall. Before that it was 12 years of the Carroll Dawson "Experience". This team lacks overall basketball talent because for years this organization couldn't find it in a locked closet with both hands AND a flashlight. And with them at or over the luxury tax threshold, there's really not much that can be done to go out and pull off these kinds of deals.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

You guys were still paying Dickerson? Holy Crap!

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Props to SirCharlesFan for a well written and evidence supported post. I like MemphisX too, but that last post will be very difficult to dispute.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ignoring McKie actually playing recently...

Why would the Nets do that? Sign and trade contracts still have to have a year guaranteed. The Nets have no reason to pay $15m to Magic or whatever amount to be able to trade Kidd. Insert any other names in place of the two players either.

The Rockets did it before with Mike Wilks (if I'm thinking of the right 3rd string PG) in the Dikembe Mutombo trade.

Memphis wasn't in a position to take on any more players, and the Lakers couldn't really afford to lose more bodies. They needed a little more salary filler, so they added McKie to round things out. Not really a big deal.

Doubtful. Teams generally have insurance policies to at least partially cover career ending injuries. There was a fairly big deal about that made with Jeff Bagwell recently. Besides that, probably 3/4ths of the league has guys being paid that aren't playing.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I know, but it is times like these that the reality of it all comes crashing in. The past is past, what about the future?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thank god I did.

7. Stray_Dog

Stray_Dog Member

No offense to MemphisX, but why are teams like the Griz still in existence? It's one thing to have terrible management, but it's another to have a team who has no ambition to be competitive and is more concerned with their "bottom line". I want to read about surprise teams going to the playoffs, not about teams trying to move themselves to a better market (OKC).

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Owner Michael Heisley is trying to sell the team, wants it in as best financial situation as possible so possible buyers won't be scared off into thinking they're buying into a moneypit hell.

9. what

what Member

Dude, you know so little about the pulse surrounding the grizzlies, it is comical. All of these sweeping generalizations. It is going to take 10 years, as if you have a any knowledge of this, Miss Cleo.

You speculate that there is some underlining issue with that Shelby County taxpayers link. Man you don't even realize that article was a political issue in Memphis and has nothing to do with the state of mind on the current grizzlies team. After that article ran, what did Heisley go out and do? He paid for darko's contract, he got JCN and he hired the top head coaching prospect.

The grizzlies having pretty good corporate support. Yeah, if you call Autozone and Fedex pretty good. And yeah, that's going to fall off. I am sure that Fred Smith is going to allow that to happen.

You have about as much credibility on this issue as veasy.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's a business and even the teams that seem to suck for decades on end make a hefty profit -- this includes all sports of course.

11. HillBoy

The future has yet to be written. Morey appears to have a much better eye for talent as can be attested to by the impressive play of his rookie picks. However, his "Moneyball" philosophy has failed him badly with his free choices of veteran players. James & Francis are simply a waste of bench space while Bonzi is not doing much better than he did last year. Kirk Snyder is also a complete non-entity but he's not Morey's fault. All told, had any two of them played up to Scola's level, we'd all be feeling a whole lot better about their playoff prospects this season. As it is now, they are merely so much dead weight on the good ship Rockets.

12. HillBoy

I have to agree with Clutch in that I think they are Las Vegas bound if the league can ever gather up the cojones to place a team there. OKC is nice place but the money-making potential of an NBA team in Vegas can't be overlooked.

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I don't know why everyone is complaining, something similar occured when we got Scola for basically nothing from the spurs. The grizzlies, like the spurs, were looking for cap relief, Vpuss was the only contract that would give the spurs immediate cap relief and the grizz GM said it himself, the lakers offer was the best they got which gave them the best deal finacially.

A of teams could have offered better deals, but not better cap relief. Even Morey said that memphis didn't want to take any contracts back.

14. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

There is no way the Grizzlies are going to be moving. People don't think things through. Think what you will of Memphis but there is a limited market for NBA teams and the climate for new arenas is shakey at best. Do you think the NBA will allow a team that just had the community build them an arena free of charge move? That is bad business for the rest of the league, especially when Memphis is not even the bottom of the barrel in revenue.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gasollakers020108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-flspheatspec02sbfeb02,0,4428117.story

16. Astockmarketgod

When I saw the Iverson trade...

and now the Gasol for Kwame trade...

dont tell me the Rox dont have the players to make trades...

they just dont have the will.... or the willingness of the players to want to come here...

even though were winning... this team will go nowhere... unless we get some more talent...

17. Astockmarketgod

and I would have thought the Grizz was one of our "most traded with" trading partners the last few years...

someone remind me who we got?...

man this organization is irritating...

18. All Souled Out

If those reports are true of the Cavs/Bulls/Blazers all wanting Gasol are true, then the Grizzlies should have traded for some young talent in the Bulls. Yes, they saved $40,000,000+. But they could have saved cash and gotten some young talent in return in another trade.

It'll be interesting to see what the Grizzlies do with Lowry/Critterton/Conley. Either 1 of them gets traded, or they start developing Javaris C. at the 2.

No, stop exaggeratting. Stop delusionalizing yourself. The only other All-star on that Lakers team is Paul Gasol. And he only made the All-star team once in his career as a reserve.

I'm sure Kobe would gladly give-up Gasol to play next to a perrenial All-star like Yao Ming. If Kobe and McGrady switched places, you'd be saying how ridiculous it is that Kobe gets to play next to Yao Ming, and McGrady doesn't.

Kobe is better than McGrady. He proved it last season, and the season before that. He'll prove it again this season.

19. HillBoy

Whoa! I did not know about the arena deal. But if that's the case, then why the fire sale? They look to me to be prepping for a move to somewhere else and Las Vegas would be the best choice money-wise. I know that they entertained the thought of trading Gasol last year so his being moved did not surprise me but to trade him for Kwame Brown makes little sense to me. This whole deal was strange - the two Laker 1st round picks won't be in the lotto so just what were they thinking? If this team is in full-fledged rebuild mode, then it made more sense to trade with Chicago than to pick up scraps from LA.

20. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Why do you think it is a fire sale? Because they traded Gasol and didn't take a bad contract back in his place? Everyone be realistic....did you think Pau Gasol was going to fetch some young great talent from another NBA team? Is Tyrus Thomas anymore of a proven commodity thatn Javaris? Is he worth taking on the contract of Nocioni?

This is how you rebuild in the NBA. There was no way the Grizzlies were going to go forward with Gasol's contract on the books. Now hopefully we can get a younger player at the same talent level with some heart and the rest of the young guys can grow together. Plus Memphians hated Gasol.

I guess it doesn't matter what the owner says or the fact that he is a billionaire...keep listening to everyone else repeat the same notion overe and over until it seems to be fact