1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis Commercial Appeal] Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

I think I'm going to be sick... Get Bibby, get Miller, get whomever Morey!!!

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It's a good move for both teams. The Lakers have another low post option and the Grizzlies will have a lot of cap room to play with. It's not like they were going anywhere with Gasol. They sure have a lot of point guards...maybe the Rockets could peel off Lowry. I like his game.

3. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

He sucks though..

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Big ass trade.

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

haha..
    would you rather have navarro or rafer?

6. foodworld

foodworld Member

Guys, relax.

Gasol was traded for a reason--

HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

7. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

Skip>>>>> Navarro

I'm dead serious here, Navarro is pure garbage.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Who's Memphis' GM again?

Anyways, I never like Gasol. Now just one more reason to hate the Lakers. :mad:

9. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

luol deng, shawn marion, gilbert arenas, elton brand, emeka okafor, ben gordon, josh smith, andre iguodala...restricted but possible.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

PG: Fisher
    SG: Kobe
    SF: Odom
    PF: Gasol
    C: Bynum

pretty nice starting 5

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Stern is rigging the league so that we have Boston - LA finals again, and the ratings come back. That is the only explanation for both teams pulling off major heists within months of each other. He secretly guaranteed Minnesota and Memphis that by doing these deals, their ping pong balls will pop up for the next few years. Just wait and watch.

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

10.9 ppg
    43% FG and 40% 3 pointers..

yeah....
    one thing is for sure..
    he can shoot, but he's a rookie though... so that might be a problem
    but rookies seem to do well for the rockets this season.. :D

13. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

NBA, where Gosol for Trash happens

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Another thing if Gasol doesn't work the Lakers possibly now have the option of getting a sign and trade deal done with the Bulls who covet Gasol for either Deng or Gordon, most likely Gordon.

15. lalala902102001

People don't seem to realize that Pau Gasol is still only 27. He is a legit franchise caliber big man. The Lakers are scary good for the next three to five years.

This is not good news for any Western conference teams, including the Rockets.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've been drinking for a good six hours now so I didn't bother reading this entire thread. All i'll say is, if you're a Memphis fan you're supposed to be happy...why exactly? You traded your best player for what...Kwame Brown?!

All while doing so you made a conference rival an instant title contender. Congrats. This would be like if we traded Yao and T-Mac to Denver for Najera and the nut-grabber. Oh wait, the nut-grabber doesn't play for Denver anymore? Okay, you get the point.

17. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

he doesn't have to be GREAT or GOOD even...he don't have to and don't need to be THE franchise player like he did in memphis....with the lakers..he got kobe...he just need to be a 10 point 10 rebounds guy for the lakers (but we all know that he's capable of doing more)..and be a low post threat..that's why we're worrying....the Lakers are like back in to the Shaq-kobe era all over again :mad: Gasol/bynum/odom=shaq ...and kobe.... :mad:

and whoever said that david stern rigged to have a Boston vs. Lakers final is soooo TRUE !!...i never knew why the sonics traded Ray allen...he didn't request a trade did he?

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I think this trade shows you that the Memphis Grizzlies franchise is in huge trouble financially. I know that Clutch touched on it earlier, but how bad would it have to be for another GM in the NBA to mention that a franchise is having financial troubles? I don't know the terms of the Grizzlies' lease @ the FedEx Forum, but I see them trying to get out of town ASAP. I went to a Grizzlies playoff game a few years ago against the Suns and it was not that close to being sold out...in the PLAYOFFS. Think about how bad things have to be going for the team now that they stink. When you add in that Memphis is a very small market and the corporate support is probably struggling as much as the fan support, this trade makes perfect sense.

The Grizzlies were going nowhere with Gasol. As their franchise player, Gasol had taken them to their peak, a lower seed playoff team. Gasol's not marketable...he's not a guy that the fans will come out in droves to see in person. I'm sitting here scratching my head at the fans that are saying "GASOL FOR KWAME!?!?!?!?!" because I don't think the Grizz give a damn about Kwame Brown. For those of you screaming that the Grizz should've at least demanded Odom, the Grizz did not want Odom! I'd go as far as to say the Grizz would have turned down any offer that included Odom...this was purely salary dump. The trade could have been for a sack of potatoes with the same salary as Kwame Brown. The players in this deal aren't of any consequence for the Grizz.

I think it's a good deal for both teams. Memphis wasn't going to get any team to trade them a player that would've turned around the franchise in exchange for Gasol. Unfortunately for Grizz fans, blowing up the team was the best option for their management.

19. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

If stand pat with a TMac+Yao team, wouldn't we just be losing to the Lakers in the first/second round every season for the next 3-4 years?

What are our options?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So I just heard that the Lakers sign and traded Aaron Mckie to make this trade work. Mckie hasn't played in years! Theoretically the Rockets could resign Charles Barkley to a 10mil contract for 1yr (Bird Rights) and trade that contract for a player? Someone fix the loophole ASAP before the Lakers trade Magic Johnson for Kidd.