1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo wants out...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Then again, maybe Melo's post-up possessions have been successful BECAUSE D'Antoni has reined him in on when and where he posts up.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Oh no, I'm pointing out this statement and how it's being over looked.

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

still waiting on these sources..

DonKnock likes this.
  5. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

Guy asked for stats showing Melo was elite in the post. I just found stats that say Melo is the best post player this season so far.

topfive likes this.
  6. basketballholic

Clark has been everything you've said. We didn't bring Melo here to defend. There's a lot of players with great offensive skills that haven't won a championship or gone deep in the playoffs. That doesn't mean they can't in the right situation.

We are blowing it here. He's on a minimum contract. We won't find a better player to score the ball in volume for us without giving up assets and paying a substantial salary. And we need another guy that can score the ball in volume against a variety of defenders and defenses.

We're blowing it here. Specifically MDA is blowing it here.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

it would be taken seriously if it came from someone who is credible and not someone who pretends to be an insider

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i dont understand how MDA is at fault... Melo has a legit history of family issues with LaLa or whatever tf her name is. i dont understand why this isnt the bigger story. yall just wanna blame our boys and coaches when we just came 1 game away from going to the championship

10. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

I do think that if MDA wanted to go to Melo in the post more that option is there with as many times as teams switch against us he could easily be used in screens and have a PG switch on him but that isn't MDA bread and butter and what has made him succesful. If there is a coach and player that is total opposite it is MDA and Melo.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm just saying that those post-ups Melo is taking aren't happening outside of MDA's offense. Maybe he's doing so well with them because in addition to his talent, the offense presents him with the right opportunities to take them: ISOs against guys who can't possibly stop him. Would his success rate be this high if MDA allowed him to improvise more? I'm guessing no.

One thing I think Holic got right in his didn't-need-another-thread post is that Melo is the one who's unhappy with his role, not the team.

Reeko, DonKnock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey bud I believe you summarized it to the T. I believe this is exactly what's going on.

Great post

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EDITORIAL THREAD

Deckard, hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  14. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

I think he was fine with his role but I think the role is changing with Clark and MDA wants to cut his minutes and role.

15. BackdoorHarden

Can't argue with that! Clint is paid way above his paid grade. $5 million player making $20 millions

basketballholic likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

So we were playing cavs in the finals? I must have missed something

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, BBholic says Clark has slow feet? Then what does Melo have Glacial feet?

DD

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

"going to the championship" smart ass

meant to say finals. you know what i mean

Reeko likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing that. Small sample size and we'll see if it continues (unlikely because that would be historically great) but he was in the top half of the league in post ups in 2016-17 at 61 percentile. Still, that season does not in any way make him "elite".

What's interesting is that his post-up frequency is HIGHER this year than it was in 2016-17, so it's not like he's suddenly having the part of the game taken away from him. This is about how often he has posted up for the previous two years.

FWIW, Melo is in the top 30 in the league in post up opportunities this year at 2.7 per game. Not bad for a guy coming off the bench.

If Melo is in fact complaining about lack of post up chances then he is off base.

Not sure why my link is busted in my previous post but people can go to https://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/ and apply their own filters.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance