1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@RasaqBoi

Understand sometimes it's a team system or philosophy thing.
    In the Harden vs Westbrook debate for MVP; people mention that Steven Adams blocks guys out so that
    Westbrook can get his 10 rebounds a game (triple-double).

(16/17) Westbrook 10.7 rbs/gm, Adams 7.7 rbs/gm.

Is Adams a bad rebounder? No way Westbrook is a better rebounder than Adams. IMO.

However you want to look at it; Capela out rebounded Adams in less minutes per game.
    (16/17) Adams 29.9 mins/gm, Capela 23.9 mins/gm

So Capela just needs to bring his endurance up to 30 mins/gm. He did that in either the OKC
    or Spurs playoff series. Can't remember which.

Edit: Spurs series avg 28.98 mins/gm for Capela

#341 ApacheWarrior, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Melo with Westbrook will be similar to Harden-Lin combo. They won't mesh well.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Theking

Theking Member

You'll do nuttin

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

I wanted to respond but had to go to a kid's birthday party instead. I mentioned before that they definitely have (arguably) a better starting 5, but in my mind, we have a better bench than they do.

5. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

They were in a good spot contracts wise and they are taking huge risks .

They could end up with PG , melo and WB all gone for nothing very soon . And no young players or high picks .

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair their contract situation wasn't great.

But they had guys whose upside is dependent on who you ask.

Me... im a guy that thinks Oladipo and Kanter Will both do better in their new homes. I don't like BillyD's coaching so far.

But alternatively they were on ridiculous contracts that others might / would consider detrimental and both had/have serious flaws to their games.

From OKCs perspective they are probably fine moving those pieces even if for nothing.

They happened to be in the right place at the right time with two absolutely moronic EC teams

BigMaloe and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

He need those small lights.

9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Well, at least the media will no longer be able to cling to the narrative that Westbrick has no help. Let's see how far that team goes with three ball stoppers now. My guess? 2nd round at best.

mikol13 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

I called it yesterday after the Woj tweet. Looks like both of our teams are left holding nothing. Good luck on the season. I mean that. I'll be back next time Blazers play Houston for some fun banter. Cheers guys.

mikol13, DonKnock, tmoney1101 and 4 others like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Knicks wanted Ariza & Gordon.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-trade-carmelo-anthony-oklahoma-city-thunder

Perry remained in contact with Portland Trail Blazers president of basketball operations Neil Olshey, who had the most versatile array of assets for New York and motivation to make the deal -- but, ultimately, Anthony would not accept a trade to the Pacific Northwest.

Anthony was intrigued with a potential partnership with Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic, and the stability and track record of the front office and coaching staff in Portland, but did not want to make such a dramatic geographic shift, league sources said.

New York had been willing to do an Anthony deal with his preferred choice, Houston, that included Eric Gordon and Trevor Ariza, but the Rockets consistently rejected that idea, league sources said. Houston had become the focus of Anthony's trade request after the Rockets acquired All-Star guard Chris Paul, a close friend, in late June. But Houston needed a deal to include forward Ryan Anderson, who has three years and $60 million left on his contract.

Cleveland's package included Iman Shumpert and Channing Frye, and would've needed to be supplemented with minimum veterans, league sources said. Cleveland would never have considered including its 2018 first-round pick via Brooklyn, league sources said. New York had been pursuing a future first-round pick from Oklahoma City, but the Thunder were unable to acquire one as part of a larger deal for New York, according to league sources.

New York inquired about the Thunder's first-round pick at No. 21 in the 2017 draft, shooting guard Terrance Ferguson, but ultimately accepted the 2018 second-round pick that Chicago owed Oklahoma City. With the Bulls projected to be one of the worst teams in the league, that pick could be in early 30s of next June's draft.
    Meanwhile, Matt Moore says Rockets found a home for Anderson but the 3rd team couldn't find a home for their "Ryan Anderson".

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...nder-carmelo-make-out-well-what-about-knicks/

LOSERS

Houston Rockets

They were the other team in discussions. League sources indicated to CBS Sports this summer that Houston had found the requisite pieces to obtain Anthony and clear Ryan Anderson, but the team they were trying to send Anthony to could not clear their own big-contract anchor. Anthony to Houston looked done for much of the summer, only for a Western Conference competitor to swoop in and nab him.

Daryl Morey continues to pursue a third star, a white whale he's been chasing since acquiring Harden five years ago.​

Deuce, DonKnock, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"We want Ariza, a cheap, valuable role player and Gordon, the 6th man of the year!"

"No"

"Ok. We'll take Kanter, a bad bench player, and McDermott, a young player with little to no upside!"

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Right oladipo is a season removed from being fairly highly thought of . He was the number 2 overall pick . Sabonis was a rookie lottery big .

The situations the other two teams had factored in heavily too .

I agree , right place right time ... Kinda like us with Harden.

If you are in OKC's position you absolutely take the risk and for a multitude of reasons the pacers didn't find a better offer ... And well the Knicks faced contraints as well.

The west is going to be very interesting this year . I think SA has the worst talent of the top 4 teams by a good margin ... But they also have the GOAT coach by a good margin lol .

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good luck fighting for the 8th seed.

Hope Portland makes it.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. Knicks were being petty, demand Gordon, Ariza, 1st from us and end up taking trash like kantern, McDermott and a second

16. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Morey made the right decision here.

Melo, PG, Lebron will all be ufa next summer. We can build the banana boat without having to give up two of our core players. I would have been super pissed had we traded Ariza and Gordon for Melo, a potential one year rental.

tonyt8605 and Reeko like this.
  17. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

Thanks. I see Houston as fighting with OKC and Spurs (I won't count them out until they prove it) for the 2nd through 4th seed. Those 3 teams will get those spots and the order could go any way. injuries will probably play a hand in it.

I see Portland battling a plethora of teams for 6th through 11th. There are a lot of teams with pretty equal footing here. I have no clue how it will shake out. The homer in me wants to see Nurkic absolutely blow up and get us a 5th seed. But, the realist in me is feeling a 7th or 8th seed finish. I never doubt Lillard's heart.

18. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

As a side note, more than just being a Blazers fan, I am a huge basketball nerd. I'll be paying attention to all of the story lines this season, and there are a lot of interesting stories this year, including CP3 and Harden together. I'll definitely catch as many games as I can. While Houston may not be my favorite team, I'll be rooting for you guys over Golden State and OKC any time you guys play them.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Im just gutted after all of this.. AND they got Trey Burke?
    At the risk of sounding too butthurt, its just crazy to me that OKC continue to get second chances after ballsing up so much in the past with Harden, Ibaka and Durant.
    Being a kiwi im still a big OKC fan (Steeeeeve) just gutted this didnt work out for my #1 team.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hope the Blazers make the 8th seed.

Then beat the Warriors in round one.

Since the Rockets will probably be 2nd or 3rd seed....that means "We" won't meet until the 3rd round (WCF).

Here's to that happening!! CHEERS!!

DanTony!Toni!Tone! likes this.