1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Get called out chump

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tha H stands for Hoodie

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I can think of $76 million reasons. ;)

$24,000,000
    $25,565,217
    $27,130,434 (Player Option)
    $76,695,651

PASS.

D-rock, luckyman76 and justtxyank like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wut?

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gulp.

Ryno was better than Melo last year.

This also isn't a one year fluke for Melo where he played poorly with Westbrook. He's been in a downward slide for awhile. Getting more inefficient and worse on defense every year.

Look, I'm happy to gamble on him at the minimum and hope you get some upside. I DON'T like the idea of letting Ariza and Mbah a Moute walk and replacing those minutes with Melo.

Melo is one of the most skilled scorers of our generation. His arsenal of offensive moves has always been tremendous. However, he has slowed with age and weight and his refusal to stop taking long 2s (that he misses) is maddening.

My hope if he comes here is that we aren't reluctant to bench him if he won't stop taking long 2s. They are bad shots and he's bad at them.

YOLO and RudyTBag like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

These comments have to be brought back to the forefront after Melo succeeds playing off CP3. I bet guys will start going into hiding.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green is signficantly more athletic and can play D when his mind is set to it because he is signficantly quicker laterally at their respective parts of the their careers. Melo is slow footed at this point. He was atrocious last year having several games of horrendous shooting. He can't go by his man anymore and just takes tough contested jumpers over his defender.

He's a lost cause at this point .

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

???????

SMH.

hizzobbes likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ugh...

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I want Melo here...but I also want Luc. I think Luc becomes infinitely more valuable than he was last season after the subtraction of Ariza.

D-rock, luckyman76, htownrox1 and 9 others like this.
  11. justtxyank

He was, sorry. By all defensive metrics but one he was better and he was significantly more efficient. Things like net rating, offensive rating, simple percentages, etc.

Hell, even when he went through his stretch where he refused to shoot he was better because he wasn't missing shots like Melo was.

There were threads here mocking the OKC Thunder for having Melo while we had Ryno.

Another big perk for Ryno last year over Melo?
    When Ryno went through stretches were he was totally unplayable we could bench him with no controversy. (Clutchfans threads not controversy lol)

When Melo went through stretches where HE was unplayable the Thunder had to keep playing him.

YOLO and RudyTBag like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would rather have healthy shoulder Luc vs Melo. That's easy for me .

One of the main reasons why we were competitive against GS was unprecidented levels of defense against GS. We held them to multiple sub 100 pt games in the series.

Ain't going to do that by replacing Ariza and Luc with God damn Melo.

MadMax, YOLO, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’ll jump out of the nearest window if we lose Ariza and Luc for Melo. Looks like we’re fine letting Capela take the QO and get outbid next year too.

“Run it back”

Lmfao

Reeko, YOLO and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The $20 million hole on this roster that is Ryan Anderson is one of the biggest reasons the Rockets lost last year. Put a $20 million dollar player in Ryno's spot that playing to his contract and we beat the Warriors. Anderson has to go whether we get Melo or not.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the mocking threads were there more because we felt screwed by Presti and in the end we had some sort of last laugh cause Melo wasn't working in OKC. Meanwhile Ryan literally disappeared by our rotations, to the point the some people kinda forgot he was still here...not saying much imo. If Ryan was better he wouldn't have got his ass literally glued to the bench for like the second half of the season and the playoffs...sorry, but he was as bad if not worse, especially if you consider that he was playing in a perfect enviroment, unlike Melo who was also probably playing where he didn't want to. Not that i want to make excuses for him, also cause in fact i've never liked Melo, and i'm certainly not going to start now, but still...let's say they were both bad and we have a deal ;)

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

I was never a Melo fan - not with the price tag attached to the player. For the peanut price, I am a huge fan! Upside is tremendous even if he is on the downhill.

As far as Luc, it would be a big mistake to not re-sign. When healthy, Luc is a top defender. Losing both Ariza and Luv would make our defense Swiss cheese porous.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  17. justtxyank

We benched Ryno they didn't bench Melo.

So we have a smarter coach than they do I agree.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe cause Ryan was probably worse than Melo :D

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

for sure. hes the closest thing to replicating the value of Ariza and maintaining the consistency in how Hou now plays to be the team they were a few months ago

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

preach

D-rock likes this.