1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo or Stoud?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aussie_Fozzey, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about taking a chance if the price is right?

Expiring contracts for Amare and the one Knicks asset we really want: Tina Cervasio.

[​IMG]

#21 Carl Herrera, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It seemed like just last year most people here at Clutchfans thought both these guys were "Superstars".

I wish we had some kind of official Clutchfans list of "Superstars", because this is getting confusing. If the Rockets have to acquire a "Superstar" in order to be contenders, and to make everyone happy around here, then I think we need an official list of true "Superstars". Is Deron Williams a "Superstar", I don't know.

I think Morey was trying pretty hard to acquire Melo last season. If Melo isn't a "Superstar", does that mean that Morey doesn't really know what a "Superstar" looks like either?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't see either happening... Knicks finally got some stars and they'll make it work. They will fire coaches before they break it up, and even then they will be looking for a star in return -- D-Will, Howard, Love, someone.

Playing the game though, I would definitely take Carmelo. Amare's contract is not a good one and you are getting the worst of it. Don't think I'd trade for him at this point.

Please, oh please... dig as big of a hole as possible before you turn it around. The Rockets are already mortgaging the future... would love it if the Knicks helped us out.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Melo was never as good as people thought he was; he just happened to have a very good team around him in Denver which came into its own at the same time as he joined them. A lot of people were already doubtful of Amare's stardom because he had Nash setting him up (plus his injury problems), and it wound up being true.

If they are superstars they're at the very lowest tier of the class.

5. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Need a poll so everyone who picks Amare I can ignore forever and everyone who picks Melo I can be suspicious of.

6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

None. We would make them a playoff team if we traded kmart/scola or something like that to match salaries. Let em struggle

7. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

you are all so obsessed with stats ( not stoudemire, acutal stats ) its unbelieveable.
    melo is a god damn franchise player superstar if you like it or not. he doesnt have to be the best defensive player to lead a team. to have a player like him on the roster is one of the best things that could happen to you. he draws double teams lets the defense focus all on him and has accomplished many things in his college career. he seems to be one of the clutchest players or even the clutchest right now. and its not like his defense sucks ass like martins he is average. if you give him the right coach and supporting cast your chances to win the championship aint bad at all:mad::mad::mad:

knicks have almost only bad players and are off to a bad start...who cares the season just started they will make the playoffs and with baron back they will make some noise this season. suckas

1 person likes this.
  8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Coach is gone before either of those 2.

9. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yeah, I'd take Melo.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Stat's defense is worse than Scola and his rebounding isnt any better either... STAT is on the decline, do not want.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Why is everyone so certain Baron Davis is going to help the Knicks? He is older, injury prone, out of shape and honestly hasn't been a good player for years...

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Exactly. How much did he help the Cavaliers and Clippers win? He was just as bad as Mo Williams. Clippers get a real player in CP3 at PG, and they are no longer in the bottom 5 worst teams.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Melo is still a superstar player he is just on a team with no other offensive threats which is a bad match for him because he isn't the type of player that is going to facilitate for his teammates. He was the best player on some very good Nuggets teams. He needs to play with a coach like Tom T or Van Gundy that will focus on defense and he must have a point guard that can run the offensive well. If we could get Melo and keep Lowry I'd gladly make the trade for him.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

By offensive threats I meant ball handling offensive threats. Amare is obviously a scoring threat or at least he was in previous years.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

A superstar is still a good player even when he's being double teamed. LeBron, Durant, Kobe, etc aren't shooting .512 TS% and I'm sure they get at least as much defensive attention as Melo (probably more). Melo is not a top 15 player. He is not a franchise player. He's a good player but not a great one.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

LMAO after so many people bellyache about how we need a star, cant get a star, blah blah blah.... are turning up their noses at a couple that may be available... jus hysterical... lol

That said, I'd throw the dice on Melo (even though I have reservations based on how he did the Nugs...). Amare - no thanks... keep his injury plagued self in NY!

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm glad you broke up the foolishness. Melo is a superstar no matter what people say. Never really thought the same way about amare. Melo has taken his teams to the playoffs mostly by himself. To me, that's a superstar. Amare on theotherhand has been a major part of some really good teams that have made the playoffs. The problem with that squad is they didn't replace chauncey. If they had a pg, hell it could be earl watson or shaun livingston, they wouldn't have these issue.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem with the Knicks isn't either Melo or Amare.

19. RayStats34

RayStats34 Member

I would take carmelo, stat and his knees will done in 3 years

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Neither of those guys are the answer to our problem. I mean Melo would be an improvement over K-Mart, and Stoudemire would be an improvement over Scola, but they're both max players who would require more than just one of those guys in a trade... And as long as we're going for a max player, we might as well go for one that's truly capable of taking us to the next level.