1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo 2018-2019 All Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Sep 13, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even close to comparable

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah,
    for starters - how many people will Melo grab by the throat?
    and secondly,
    how many media members will get in line to bend over for the Rockets like they do for the Warriors?

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

This is actually a good thread(needs a poll).

The funny part is that I will Vote for Melo, as I always do for any Rocket players that makes the ballot... But I do understand the question. Melo has a huge following (He was ranked 7th last year with over 600,000 votes). If we are winning games as we were last year, I’m sure he will have a much higher vote count. Not sure if it’ll be enough to take out Front court In The thicc Western Conference. (Lebron)

On another note, just realizing that it won’t be a Team Steph/Team Lebron in the Allstar game this season...lol

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah how crazy is it to have an all nba player and dpoy on the all star team compared to *shrugs*

5. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Green made it because he plays for GS....

To give Melo a 0% chance means you must not of read my previous post

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

meh. not saying that melo is at all star level this season.. but media loves to overplay donkey's defense and overall impact on the warriors team. but without strong perimeter defense by klay and igoudala, donkey wouldn't be as effective either. you could even argue that klay has much more responsibility on the warriors defense than donkey because klay is always guarding the primary perimeter scoring threat, every single night. donkey just roams in the middle and grabs people left and right and gets away with so much crap.

anything that donkey brings on offense is vastly overrated bc his skill level on that side of the ball isn't even g-league worthy.

okay.. so yeah i hate donkey.. but you have to admit that his overall basketball talent is very very low for an nba player and that his iq is mostly compensated for how much **** he's able to get away with on a nightly basis.

PWR likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

and because he’s in the running for DPOY every year, and because he has a tremendous impact on the game despite not being some good scorer...

yeah, Melo has a 0% chance...he will never get enough fan votes to be a starter, and the coaches aren’t putting him in over all the other candidates in the West...Melo isn’t close to All-Star level to begin with

8. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Draymond is a highly skilled player, I don’t like the guy, but he has above average Basketball skills. His passing/3 point shooting are above average for his position. Defensive above average for his size. Again, I think it’s solely based on the championship market of GS that’s he’s an Allstar, but I wouldn’t say any of his game is G-league material

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

A guy like Klay wouldn’t be looking as good defensively if he didn’t have Dray and all he does for them defensively backing him up. Klay’s defense is overrated. Harden blows by Klay no problem, but then there’s Green always in the right spot there to contest.

Green is a terrible scorer, but can playmake. His ball handling and passing are certainly above average for a PF. No one talks up his offense anyways. I HATE Draymond, but I can’t deny the impact he has on that team.

10. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

So do you believe that Green would have been voted in by coaches if he played for the Rockets for these past four years? The same production from him, and the same results from us.

Melo is about to join a very big market again. With more eyes on us as it has been in a long time. Melo puts on the Chinese year Jersey and we win on national Tv, That’s 100,000 votes right there. Zhou Qi had more votes than Jokic and DJ last year. Now I’m not saying he will make it, his only chance is to be voted which will be rare. If Tracy can voted in based off of his fan base, and you add that to a top team that continues to gain national fans and it provides a chance greater than 0.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Will see wether he truly has a low IQ this year, he didnt have a low IQ on Team USA. Dont make assumptions.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Would Ben Wallace have made All-Star games if he wasn’t on the Pistons? Maybe Green makes some, maybe he doesn’t. U don’t make the All-Star game based off how u would do on some other team in a different situation. Fact of the matter is that Green is in the running for DPOY every year, and makes a tremendous impact for a team that has won 3 of the last 4 titles. I might HATE Green, but he makes any team better. Green is like a PJ Tucker with better ballhandling and passing.

Melo at age 35, coming off the worst season of his career, is not getting enough votes to be a starter in the All-Star game when fans can choose from the likes of Lebron, KD, AD, etc, and we already know the coaches aren’t putting him in.

since anything is possible, I’ll go from a 0% to 0.5% chance

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not sayin its likely... but Melo could be an all-star this year... I'd call it maybe a 10% chance...

He's got Harden pullin the defense... CP3 feeding him the ball... I think both Harden and CP3 are going to go out of their way to get Melo acclimated and feeling good about his game and being part of the team and all... he's gonna get tons of open looks - and won't have the pressure of having to force shots in crucial situations...

I'd say 10% chance he's an allstar... 20% chance he's a total a bust... and 70% likelihood he falls somewhere in between...

for a vet min contract - I'll take those odds...

RealRocFan47 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. PWR

PWR Member

If that's the case, why is Donkey getting voted in over Rudy Gobert? Rudy is a better defender, averages more points, and has more impact for a playoff team.

16. PWR

PWR Member

Okay, why is the Donkey getting in over Rudy Gobert?

*it's a popularity contest. Donkey doesn't deserve it any more than Melo or Gobert.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

the All-Star reserves were announced on Jan 23...at that point the Jazz were 19-28 and Gobert had already missed 26 games...that is why Draymond is getting voted in over Rudy

Why should Rudy have been an All-Star over Draymond at that point based off the info presented?

YOLO likes this.
  18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

his passing is one of the worst i've seen... it's probably the most overrated part that people for whatever reason give him credit for. he telegraphs every pass and consistently misses his target. any below avg player can make the passes he does given the spacing that the warriors team provides with kd, steph, and klay. and below or near 30% 3 pt shooting is not good at all... regardless of position.

his defense is above average - good (great off ball instincts and defensive awareness but poor on ball defense). but can't we make the same argument with pj tucker then? pj's defense is arguably on the same level as donkey... and nobody talks about pj being an all-star.

i definitely agree with you that donkey's an allstar because of the gsw championship market.

while i probably overstated his crappiness (okay, he's not g-league level) because of how much i hate the guy... he would likely be just a decent role player if he was on any other team.

RealRocFan47 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

was he a starter? nope, so its not a popularity contest when it comes to the rest of the roster. doesn't seem like you get that

he easily deserves it more than melo. not even close. he didnt get voted in. everyone across the league including the coaches put him in there. as far as gobert, he missed 1/3 of the season. most of that being before the all star break. not deserving

#39 YOLO, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

He deserves it more than both. Gobert is great defensively but Draymond has everything defensively(as well as better offensively). Gobert can not go out on the perimeter and defend guards, he just cant. Draymond can do that all day.