1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melania Trump Earns an "F" for Plagiarism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sirbaihu, Jul 19, 2016.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Again it reflects poorly on the Trump campaign. He's been talking on and on about all these great ideas he has for America and bringing in the best people to "fix" things. Yet he can't even get someone to write an original speech for his wife. It's not tough to write a unique speech talking about how great her husband would be for America. Insert some idealistic writing about the American dream and values that aren't from someone else's speech and there wouldn't even be an issue to discuss. If he has staff that's out to sabotage his campaign doesn't that speak volumes about how little Trump inspires his own paid staff? If your own paid staff has it out for you then shouldn't that raise some questions?

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Sure, why would the Trump campaign be "driving" the plagiarism publicity?

Personally I am horrified that that innocent woman was set up for national abuse by Trump's own people.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with Melania Trump. She just read the speech that was handed to her. I think everyone agrees that there would be no way for her to know that this was plagarized.

This is about the campaign staff that Trump is hiring and the professionalism (or lack there of) of his campaign. How you run your campaign is a reflection of your management style and competency. If you look at the course of this campaign, Trump and his team have not carried themselves in a way that anyone would call competent or professional.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Folks are attacking Mrs. Trump. Heck, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democratic attack spokesperson, was quite kind in her remarks:

But to not pick up on the story is unrealistic.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only "issue" it brings to light in my mind is this;

Trump's whole shtick is that "I'm the best at business. I'll hire the best people. It will be great. I'll hire people so good your head will spin!"

His business excellence and competency is supposed to be why I should vote for him. Instead of amateur hour under Obama we'll have "great" people under Trump. Yet to date, he has shown NO proof that he can hire these "great" people. His campaign is amateur hour. It's WORKING but that is in spite of the lack of professionalism.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe it was the same speech writer? She is a model. I don't know how much writing she has done. Using this to hate on the trump campaign doesn't make sense. There are many worst things about him.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It's another showing of how incompetent his campaign workers are. How do you have a speech-writing staff that misses something so blatantly obvious?

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Plagiarism is a form of theft--from Obama here--and a form of deceit, to the nation. For example, Melania Trump stated

So let's just call that Trump's little white lie to the nation.

Then there's the issue of peddling Democrats' speech as Republican values. Don't Republicans feel ripped off? Not freaked out that the words of Obama precisely express the life lessons learned by Trump?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great points as usual, Dagger.

It's sad when the news media is so derelict that they default to covering a political convention though a pure politics lens.

Come on guys, show some respect!

10. AB

AB Contributing Member

The speech would have been non-issue or at the most half day news. But by constantly denying and saying this is genuine not lifted is going to keep this alive

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe Melania googled National Convection wife speeches and copied it from Michelle. Michelle is a Princeton and Harvard grad so I am pretty sure she can write.

1 person likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What a comedy of errors the Repubilcan Party is. Clowns

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't even know what to say. The level of incompetence is staggering. It's like they don't even care.

Stupid question. Is there any chance this was done on purpose? I only ask because I'm struggling to determine how this could be an accident. Is it possible this is some genius tactic that the rest of us with our small minds can't comprehend?

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Saw this tweeted and retweeted a few times:

So there... folks are focusing on the more important issues...

15. underoverup

underoverup Member

Ivanka Trump.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Hey, that is plagiarized from the show "Veep"! (Jk)- she does say, when Amy signs the condolence card wrong: "The level of incompetence in this office is stag-ger-ring!"

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You mean where Hitler wrote

And King said

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Haha, awesome. I wondered why that sounded familiar. Love that show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w5hrnlsmx58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And -- at least how I saw it -- Michelle did a good job of defending and acquitting herself on her own in the face of some pretty aggressive politicking. I think that episode did a lot to cement her image for me and many people of her as a person of her own who can stand independent of her husband. And Republicans obviously saw that too which made it okay to go after her so hard. Can you imagine Democrats going after Melania hard? The public would crucify them for being so mean to her. That's why you see everybody saying they don't blame Melania for this -- read, she's not even empowered enough to plagiarize -- blame the campaign that set her up to fail. This will all blow over after we have our fun today because blaming Melania for the words that came out of her own mouth would be like picking on the handicapped.

That's patronizing and disrespectful of Melania who might even be an intelligent person for all I know. But running her speech through the plagiarism checker scored some good points for the Democrats -- they soured her first impression. She'll need to fight for respect now. If she does and proves capable, I'll be impressed. But, I'm not expecting it.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Then the CNN Headline wouldn't be screaming 'Plagiarism' it would be screaming 'Inept Trump Campaign Can't Even Vet a Speech'.

That said, agree with your point. I would argue that this even IS plagiarism, or that if it is, Michelle is just a guilty, as these phrases have been around forever...but there isn't much argument that this reflects poorly on the Trump campaign. Even if Melania (or whoever) wrote this, someone should certainly have caught it. But when you are new to politics, you don't have the organization... or just the memory that 'hey, this was in Michelle's speech too'. Just for eliminating the negative PR. No one is talking much about Melania's speech now (which was pretty good, overall), they are only talking about this.