1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA Just did a 10 player rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Feb 23, 2018.

1. mightybosstone

OK, but why do you think guys are playing way fewer minutes today than they were 5-10 years ago? It's hardly a coincidence, dude. This season there are only three guys averaging at least 37 minutes a night. In 2010-11, there were 18 guys playing that many minutes. In 2005-06, it was 33. In 2000-01, it was 38. So on and so on...

Teams are catching on to the connection between overwork and injury. I'm hardly making this up. It's a thing. Google it.

Batman Jones, kjayp and tmoney1101 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc this era is what many say is soft for one

3. mightybosstone

You're acting like these are all completely new athletes and this is some entirely new era. It's not. Even as recently as five years ago in the 2012-13 season, there were 14 guys playing 37+ minutes a night. It's not the athletes. It's the coaches and staffs that have way more information about the health of athletes than they did back then.

Again... do a little independent research, chief. It takes two seconds to look up articles on this...
    http://proathletelawgroup.com/nba-injuries-caused-by-overworking-athletes/
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14757066/nba-schedule-breaking-players
    http://www.stack.com/a/why-nba-players-need-more-than-rest-to-handle-the-rigors-of-a-season

Here's a paper from the Sloan Sports Conference in 2016 where they tried to come up with a formula to calculate the likelihood of player injuries:
    http://www.sloansportsconference.co...eventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf

RockingRox likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

this era of small ball also allows guys to play positions they would not normally play 5-10 years ago. its not surprising guys play fewer minutes. in no way would you see the likes of pj tucker play the 5, 5-10 years ago.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

Who cares about positional differences? That has literally no bearing on this discussion whatsoever.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

when it allows other guys to reduce their minutes of course it relates to the discussion. you talked about minutes and that has everything to do with minutes. case in point. hardens minuites are down this year. i wonder why. bc theres more guys that can play and play multiple positions

7. mightybosstone

Look man, if you want to bury your head in the sand and act like there's no correlation between minutes played and injury, that's your prerogative. I just gave you evidence that suggests otherwise, and you're just refusing to acknowledge it, so there's no point in continuing this debate with you. I'm going to go ahead and listen to experts on the subject rather than take the word of some random person on the internet whose entire argument is based on conjecture. You do you, chief.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

"experts" what makes them an expert, especially when none of them have probably even played at that level in their life. i guess you believe everything you read online.

the point im making from the beginning was injuries can happen at any time no matter how much or little you play. if you want to lower the risk of injury to close to 0 then dont play at all. if you want to try and make it seem like its more than that then thats you. someone can get hurt coming fresh off the offseason (hayward), someone can get hurt seconds checking into the game (bogut), someone can get hurt playing under the rest guru pop (leonard). the list goes on and on. the rest issue has been completely overblown especially to the average fans

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes was our starting center for a full season.

AFS likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and how many chuck hayes are there and how much did he play after. Barely

Ramo$e likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We could run a full court press for 5 minutes a game :D
    High energy defense always

Rocket River

hakeem94 and mockster like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Maybe our guys can start faking injuries midway through games to force MDA to play a longer rotation... lol
    For most of the guys... once you hit 20 minutes you have to fake an ankle roll and hobble off the court... harden fakes at around 32 min... CP3 fakes at around 28-30 min...etc... lol
    If MDA is too stupid or stubborn to figure it out - time for the leaders to take charge - player only meeting - lol!

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

very creative, but imho theres no need, DM got this!
    [​IMG]

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I just can't bring myself to believe MDA sits Ryan for a whole game in the playoffs. That would be shocking to me.

This is about our playoff rotation and there aren't back-to-backs in the playoffs. That's what has me confused by "8, maybe 9" when it seems so likely to be 10 (counting Nene/Wright as one player - otherwise it looks like 11 and that's without Green).

I just don't see MDA sitting Johnson OR Anderson for a whole playoff game. And, if we're healthy, I definitely don't see him sitting any of the players ahead of Johnson in the rotation.

I'd say 9 means Johnson would sit out but we've seen how committed MDA still is to JJ and I don't think he'd be giving him so many minutes if he wasn't planning on him being part of our playoff rotation. I think MDA's history with/love for Johnson is going to make him play a 10 man rotation (again with Nene and Wright sharing a roster slot) even if he hasn't figured that out yet.

I could easily be wrong. But I still haven't been persuaded by any posts since I posed the question that get us down to 9 players. Unless he sits Johnson I just don't see it. He's not sitting Ryan.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  15. Batman Jones

More than anything though we've never really had the problem of having too many good-to-great rotation players. It is a great problem to have.

16. mockster

mockster Member

For sure but depressing when he doesn’t use good players or let someone take over when someone is cold

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets roster run so deep that it puts the opponent to sleep.

Swiss Roll likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You can't find considerable minute for everyone every game . Have to give guys games off .

Also I don't like that JJ is given mins over green . Green earned his spot. JJ hasn't looked anywhere near as good . I get that maybe they are just trying things out / giving him a shot .... But make him show it in practice first

Jake Tower likes this.
  19. Batman Jones

I think it's important to consider MDA's long history with JJ, which he doesn't have with Green. JJ was also like a 7 time all-star. Green has been great instant offense for us but he never sniffed all-star territory. He's always been a role player. It's going to be nigh on impossible to get MDA to look at Green over Johnson when he's had so much success with JJ in the past. So Johnson doesn't have to prove anything in games or practice (though he's been doing it) because he's already more than proven himself to MDA, who is more familiar with his game than the games of most of our roster.

But the whole point of a shortened playoff roster is that you DON'T give guys nights off. The shortened roster is shortened so that the same guys will be going to war night in and night out. (I think the one exception is Nene which is why I keep counting Nene and Wright as one player.)

I can see him using Green situationally though he wouldn't make a 10 man roster but I cannot see him sitting any playoff rotation player for a full game unless injuries or foul trouble force that.

I think we still don't know how many players MDA will take into the playoffs. I don't think he knows yet either. Everything I've seen or read points to him playing a larger roster than he ever has before, maybe as many as 11 players. He has 11 or 12 he thinks very highly of. I think it's going to be a process for him to break his habit of 7-8 man playoff rosters but I think the talent we have is going to eventually persuade him to go to 10 if not 11.

And I still haven't read a post that's persuaded me that he'll go with 9 because nobody can say who of the 10/11 he would leave out. The posts I've seen that suggest he'll sit playoff roster players for a full game or more during the playoffs just aren't realistic to me and I can't buy into them.

I think it far more likely that he goes with 10 or even 11 than that he would sit any of our top 10 guys for a whole game because sitting a player out for a whole game defeats the whole purpose of the shortened playoff roster.

D-rock likes this.
  20. mario_v

mario_v Member

I know this will never happen but Rockets should go 12 man deep rotation and play full court press if they play against GSW.