1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNair: Worst Owner in Houston, Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He spends money. However there is too much of the good ole boy network feel in the organization. Capers, Kubiak, Smith, BOB, etc. It would be interesting if he went out and hired a morey or a lunhow or do something unconventional instead of more of the same. It would be interesting if he went out and hired a tom herman or someone nobody would expect. Or maybe he just needs to get lucky and get Franchise QB and none of this would matter.

2. conquistador#11

he wears a mean seersucker suit tho!

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This discussion starts and ends with Bud Adams.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You guys are confusing "being a bad owner" with a team that isn't a perennial winner.

There can be a direct correlation... but there have been plenty of "bad" owners who ended up winning either out of luck or despite their interventions.

Is McNair being cheap? Is he not putting money into the organization? Are there internal scandals or corporate tactics that should be questioned?

We know he's not a "meddlesome" owner... in that he entrusts his head coach to make the roster decisions (which is probably how it should be). Seeing all the past results with "meddlesome" owners across sports, McNair could be far far worse if he wanted to be... and it wouldn't guarantee anything.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's not a greedy jerk, just incompetent

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I've read this guy's stuff, dude is a moron. According to him, the Oilers were a better franchise because at least when they lost, they lost in a better dramatic fashion way.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Some of the worst and most uninformed writing I've ever seen. I may just still be affected by the Astros loss but that pissed me off reading it.

Glorifying Bud Adams?

McNair cheap because "He’s dumped high-profile, accomplished players when they became too expensive"?

SMH. Do a little ****ing research on the salary cap. McNair is a lot of things but he isn't cheap. His fault is letting Rick Smith run this team for so long and destroying it's cap situation.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, this was an insensitive and absolutely DUMBASS post. McNair is bald because he underwent chemotherapy for cancer you jackass.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is a tremendous post; I wish more fans were this reasonable and grounded. I wanted to highlight two points specifically:
    This is sooooooo 1,000% true. And keep in mind, they fired Kubiak before the season ended - in a year in which he almost literally died on the field. It was less than one year removed from a playoff appearance.

You could have justifiably fired him after 2010 - but the Texans *correctly* assessed the situation: Kubiak had failed to find an architect to build a competent defense; they actually had a league-leading offense. They found a competent DC and the team made the leap.

This, a 1,000 times...

McNair's model is actually the Steelers. They've had three head coaches in my lifetime (and I'm 44). I would much rather a coach stay a year too late than go a year too early. Belicheck in Cleveland is the perfect example.

Sustained success in the NFL is *NOT* easy. If you have a legitimately great QB, you can have it. But even that's no guarantee, beyond Brady, Manning and Rodgers. As just one of many examples, if things don't change quickly, this will mark Drew Brees' fifth non-winning season in New Orleans, matching his number of playoff appearances.

Having a competent coach is the next best thing; I admire McNair for recognizing this - the franchise is better off with that as a guiding principle. But, as you said, you have to hire the right guy - and that's not easy, either. But I think Kubiak and O'Brien were both good choices at the time.

10. Mr. Clutch

He needs to fire Rick and BOB

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If we got it wrong with the Obrien hire we are in big trouble.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well Smith is on year 10 and should the team falter again, I can see him getting the boot for a more seasoned GM. But to fire BoB after only two years in the midst of a rebuild is just the sort of move that the Cleveland Browns would do and we all know how well that's worked out for the Browns and their fans. All you'd be doing is starting over once again with a new coach who'd want to put his system into place. And then, just how long would you give that new coach? Two years? Three? After giving BoB just two? Firing coaches is the easy part - it's what comes next that is the hard part.

13. Mr. Clutch

Rebuild? This wasn't supposed to be a rebuild.

And you keep a coach based on how they perform. This has been a dumpster fire.

I don't ever advocate firing a coach this quick but this is bad.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ironically, Bud Adams FIGURATIVELY got drunk at a wedding and mooned the wedding party....but he hired a GM (Ladd Herzog) who LITERALLY got drunk at a wedding and mooned the wedding party. :)

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it'll be interesting to see what McNair does. We all know McNair's preference for patience and giving people a chance to succeed. But he's also fired our first two coaches after their first truly horrible seasons. If this were year 4 of the OB era, I have no doubt he'd be fired. But it being year 2 makes the choice tougher.

I think it might come down to whether O'Brien has actually lost the locker room as has been alluded to. Because if he has, there's no reason to expect better results next year. If things don't turn around to a certain degree, I think there's a better chance of OB being fired than most posters here would think.

16. Mr. Clutch

I think if you take a team that had a decent amount of talent and then #1 pick and you turn it into arguably the worst team in the league...

Then yes a firing should be considered.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

McNair will take a step back Cal is going to call the shots Rick smith will be "PROMOTED" Brain Gaine will be the new GM and Obrien is going to bring new coaches to defensive and offensive sides.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, when there's nothing salvagable other than J.J. Watt and Deandre Hopkins... I don't care what you call it, its a rebuild. (And yes, I don't think Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, and Arian Foster will be reaching all-pro status again, ever).

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Or, if we were talking about QBs, the kind of move, well, BOB would make - only he would have been fired after his first loss.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then hired back after a few games only to be fired again.

To me, I do think it's a bit early to fire BOB, but if he's lost the locker room, he's got to go. Doing things like he's been doing them really could lead to a lost locker room.