1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHugh

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Sep 10, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He has basically posted a league average ERA. He's a decent number 3 on an average team, but on a contending team he has to be the 4 or 5.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

ERA+ at 97, while ERA is better than FIP. Indicates he is a slightly below average pitcher. #3 on this staff sure. Contract value has been fair. If we are going to contend though, you want him at your #4 spot.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok, I know we can find + stats or whatever else the Luhnow stat head group uses too

I don't know all of that stuff as good as a lot of yall do

I just think that by watching the actual baseball, he is a find #3 starter if he stayed healthy the full year, which outside of one period he pretty much did

That's all, not trying to predict future results and all that

Just think he has been a good #3

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All ERA+ plus does is measure your ERA against league average and adjusts for ballpark, it isn't a predicative stat, it's a performance stat. Our ballpark is neutral so so there is no real park adjustment.

His ERA+ is right on league average, which means he's been average. Good teams have average starters at the back, not the middle of the rotation.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Feldman hasn't been a disaster like many thought and he has been competitive and serviceable. I think he is a very good #5 on a World Series quality staff but you can live with him as your #3 if you have a #4-5 of similar quality and a really strong pen and line up.

Luhnow deserves credit for sticking with Dallas K, trading for McHugh and signing Feldman. He basically rebuilt the top of the staff.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tigers #3 starter is Rick Porcello (3.19ERA)
    Angels #3 starter is Matt Shoemaker (3.04ERA)
    A's #3 starter is Sonny Gray (3.28ERA)
    Mariners #3 starter is Chris Young (3.33ERA)
    O's #3 starter is Miguel Gonzalez (3.28ERA)
    Royals #3 starter is Yordano Ventura (3.19ERA)

Baseball has changed so much with ERAs going down. Also doesn't help we've been watching terrible pitching for so long before this season.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well ok then Feldman is a back end rotation guy who we should probably just move on from then

Thanks for teaching me about starters tonight

Glad we got rid of that trash Cosart too, his numbers say he will be a total disaster glad we don't have to watch that trash either

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>His Gluten-Free diet? “<a href="https://twitter.com/msimonespn">@msimonespn</a>: What made <a href="https://twitter.com/astros">@astros</a> P Collin McHugh so effective in 2014? Here's a closer look <a href="http://t.co/dJ0TBmSRUW">pic.twitter.com/dJ0TBmSRUW</a>”</p>&mdash; Collin McHugh (@Collin_McHugh) <a href="https://twitter.com/Collin_McHugh/status/514873089176256512">September 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The important thing I took from that linked article was that at one time there was an Astro named Mark Lemongello (which I can only hope was pronounced Lemon - Jello).

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That is the way it was pronounced.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It definitely was pronounced that way. In addition, he had a brother named Peter who was a Las Vegas lounge singer and later relocated to Branson.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would rather have McHugh than JD Martinez... but we could've had both. Sigh.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So could every other team in the league.