1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale's impact on Twill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Jun 22, 2011.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Im new to this forum, but I've been a rockets fan my entire life and just found this place. I'd like to say that as great a specimen as T Will is, he is a bonhead, he will make rafer alston seem like a great decision maker when it comes to shot selection. I have followed him for a while since I'm a big college hoops junkie and his Louisville days showed how big of an enigma he was. He was that kid you have on your team at the YMCA when you're little. All the talent in the world but always seems to make that horrible play that leaves you scratching your head. I hope a hall of famer like McHale can get this guy on the right page bc he is an awesome talent.

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That preseason, Cato looked twice as bad-ass as T-Will ever has. Even if his big contract was premature (which is beside the point), it's an object lesson that a guy with a load of physical talent who has shown flashes of brilliant play can still amount to nothing in the NBA. Averaging a triple-double in the NBDL doesn't mean a whole lot compared to T-Will's massive failure on an actual NBA team. Don't be fooled by his potential; he's a knucklehead. Fortunately, unlike Cato, he's currently an inexpensive gamble.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately for us, every talented specimen we get seems to have mental issues up the wazoo:

- Tracy McGrady
    - Ron Artest
    - Terrance Williams
    - Jordan Hill
    - Steve Francis
    - Joey Dorsey
    - Eddie Griffin
    - Stromile Swift

4. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Does anyone have that box score of the game cato exploded in the preseason. I think it was vs Cleveland? Didn't he have 15 blocks or something?

5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Look, no one intelligent is saying that he is going to beast or deserves a huge contract. You will find very few people who will disagree with you about his intelligence. What most supporters of T-Will are saying is that THERE IS NO ONE ON OUR TEAM MORE TALENTED/ATHLETIC THAN HIM NOR IS THERE A SINGLE BLOODY REASON TO PLAY TRASH BUD OVER HIM. That is true. There is not a single player on our team with more sheer talent, athleticism, and potential than T-Will it is definitely worth it to give him a shot to see if he can eventually get it. It is much better than the alternative, Budinger.

6. YouGuysAreCrazy

Supposedly Bud's inconsistencies were due to a lack of confidence. Since, McHale is supposedly a confidence god, I don't see Bud being very inconsistent this year, in fact I see him breaking out and having an awesome year (or at least consistent (which would be awesome now that I think of it)).

My hope is that Squid will become a solid roleplayer off the bench. I think he and courtney will become the foundation of our second unit by mid season. This all assumes squid doesn't go crazy and tatoo his eyeballs or something.

#wordappppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If CBud is the type of player to lose confidence in the only thing he is good at (shooting), I don't know if I would ever want him to stay on the team. Hopefully he is not that mentally weak. If he is, I doubt he will ever become confident.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's confident now. Confidence is a issue for EVERYONE. Even players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Howard. They all had to go through confidence issues at one point in their careers.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Playing aggressively against poor defensive teams (sometimes just poor teams overall) does not count as confidence in my book. Against good teams that rotate faster, he still shoots very poorly. For someone who's shooting is his only weapon, he needs to hit open shots even when he has no confidence. Considering he has nothing else to offer (poor lateral weakness, no defense to speak of, and the softness of Charm TP), I really don't have high hopes for him anymore.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Also, players like Kobe, Lebron, ect have multiple weapons. You take away Kobe or LBJ's shot, he still has the ability to burst by you, make excellent passes, or defend. Chase can do none of those really, except the occasional pass.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Damn you Chase. Why can't you be black? :p

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Patently false.

Prove it. List all Adelman's rookies who are on an NBA roster (Taylor got waived) and tell me which ones Adelman did and did not give PT to.

I'll help you. Here they are. Which wons did Adelman develop and use, and which didn't he?

Aaron Brooks
    Carl Landry
    Luis Scola

Joey Dorsey

Chas Budinger
    Jordan Hill (via deadline trade)
    Garrett Temple

Patrick Patterson
    Ismail Smith

13. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I think he's still a useful player. He's not starter quality because of his defense, but is more than capable to provide instant offense off the bench. Korver proved to be a key piece for the bulls and IMO, CBud can provide more than Korver. His other issue is related to confidence, it's his decision making on deciding when to shoot and when to drive. He's got a very quick release, so he tends to rely on his shot since he can get it off whenever he wants, but then his athleticism is going to waste.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

RA plays rookies who buy into and learn his system (to some extent, never convinced Hill learned anything) and is too stubborn to change things up even when his system is failing or lacks the players to actually play his system.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Top flight thread.

16. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Landry, Brooks, Jermaine (Counting him anyways, your "active player" rules are as valuable to me as von wafer is to the big brothers/big sisters of america foundation) and Pat-Pat all got snubbed on playing time to players who were less talented than they were.

17. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Jermaine Taylor reference

You kind of lost credibility when you tied Adelman's use of Taylor to Williams playing time. Taylor is a scrub nowadays!

18. Chris Jent MVP

where is all this "talent" that t-will fans speak of ?? i've never seen it.

as far as earning time by playing well in garbage time, all the other players had to do it, why does t-will get a pass ???

if adelman stuck his ass on the end of the bench, there was a good reason for it.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think we can all agree that TWill has the physical tools to be an impact player. Apparently, that is not where his problem in seeing significant playing time resides. Adelman was too good of a coach not to play someone who could help him win games.

Allowing him to "play his game" is not the answer when "his game" does not coincide with the gameplan. I would love to see TWill harness his talents within the team construct and contribute.

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That is a pretty stupid statement. No professional coach is going to let any player, rookie or otherwise, go out and freelance and do whatever they want. Did you ever watch Tony Parker in his rookie season? Pop would bench him every time he made a boneheaded mistake.

The onus is on the player to show through practice or otherwise that they are going to provide a consistent level of play, effort and production when they are given playing time.

Budinger gave him that, Williams didn't. Plain and simple. A good coach would never change up a proven system to try to accomadate a marginally talented headcase. If he did I wouldn't want him coaching my team.