1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "threw a fit" over losing Dragic, will leave after season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrdan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Feigen is holding back information again! Maybe Clutch, too!

DD

2. bmd

bmd Member

Getting really mad.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If there were any truth to this, then why wouldn't Kevin McHale just quit now?Think about it, the season is three months away and they are reporting that McHale will quit after next season? What since does that even make? The problem is that it doesn't make any since. The NYDaily News just got the idea from Carl Herrara's where is McHale thread.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

You can't believe this was Morey's plan. Not when he put his chips in for Gasol/Nene immediately after the lockout, and then again for Howard.

I think it's for the best that it happens, but no way did Morey bring in McHale with the understanding that they were going to do a complete teardown and rebuild through the draft.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Funny....two days ago I get flamed for giving my opinion that Mchale is
    more hype than substance and now the majority on this thread wouldn't
    mind letting him go.
    I still think that McHale is a poor choice to coach the
    Rockets! I personally wouldn't mind if JVG returned although I don't think
    that will ever happen.......:(

6. cheifbootknocka

How many MORE articles are ny newspapers gonna do on the Rockets? Dont yall have TWO teams of your own to worry about? You got Amare and Carmelo on one team and DWill and Joe Johnson on the other, why you so worried about us? GET OFF OUR NUTS ny, you lost Lin, get over it. All these little articles just reiterate what the rest of country is inclined to believe about ny and the "east coast bias" that is engrained in their sports media; arrogant and classless. You act like you're entitled to win (arrogant) and act like little b!0tches when you lose (classless)......

7. Raven

Raven Member

Not with this many rookies. Nope, no way.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. BamBam

That's what I think also......

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Probably not the first time a coach disagreed with the GM.

1 person likes this.
  11. ronaldo89

ronaldo89 Member

Mchale has to go ASAP, we had a really good with Lowry, Goran, Scola. but we lost all this players for nothing

12. BamBam

McHale=Coach.........Morey=GM

13. cheifbootknocka

rolondo89=Knicks troll

14. rockets11champs

Smh NY always try to give us a hard time making up fake stories

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

A hefty dose of salt? I don't think that makes anything go down easier...

16. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

McHale will throw a even bigger fit once he finds out he will be fired in December.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can believe McHale threw a fit about letting Dragic go. He's the better, more proven, and more experienced point guard, and to give him up for salary cap flexibility 4 years from now to get a gamble at PG is something that makes me mad too.

But, no way is he quitting over this. That's just dumb. #1, the big thing at his signing was that he was more in-tune with the perspective of the general manager position, since he was one, and he wouldn't cause a ruckus when Morey traded away his favorite PG, like Adelman did with Brooks. #2, keeping Dragic would be just plugging one hole in the dyke considering the whole roster just got blown up. What good will Dragic do without Camby, Scola, Lee, Lowry, Budinger, and soon Martin? He could be mad about the rebuild, but not Dragic. But, #3, he was a GM and he has had inside info; I'm sure he's long known that a rebuild could be in the cards if they didn't get Howard in time. #4, after all those years in Minnesota, I'm sure he's used to losing and rebuilding.

And, it's long been my gut feeling that the plan when hiring McHale was to kick him upstairs after a couple of seasons. The idea that he won't be coaching much longer could come from that.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The dude knows what he's talking about. Did you forget the awesome rebuild he did for the twolves?

Though I have to admit I wasn't happy when we let Goran walk either.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I. I don't think the info is all that surprising, because:

A. McHale himself said during the practices leading up to the summer league that he wants some vets on the roster instead of having Parsons and Patterson having to become "team leaders" by default. Other than the possibility of the Dwight Howard trade, the team really has stuck with the youth movement with its FA acquisitions being two players with 2 years NBA experience.

B. When McHale was hired, he said he came back to coaching to get his "us vs. them" competition fix. The guy has enough money from his playing, GM and TV careers and was making a comfortable living with his Turner TV gig. He signed up with HOU because it had a competitive roster with the possibility of getting better (by trading for, say, Pau Gasol). He probably isn't thrilled with leading a young roster that has much to learn about the NBA competition.

C. This is how coaches always are. If you let coaches also be GMs, you end up with a bunch of 7-year+ vets locked up to 4-5 year contracts. It's good if you are the Miami Heat. Not so much when you are the Milwaukee Bucks or the Suns of the last couple seasons. ​

II. That said, McHale sound like he's committed to coach next year at least and try to teach the young guys as much as he can. As for quitting a year from now, a lot can happen during this time-- in fact, a lot can happen before the 2012-13 season even starts. My guess is that something will happen within a year's time to make McHale less frustrated-- either the addition of talent by trade or other means, or one or more of the youngsters proving to be really good in year 1.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People here like to diss McHale but you can't deny he has great talent evaluation skills for post players.

He robbed the Grizzlies blind when he traded OJ Mayo for Kevin Love.