1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale says he may change the starting backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

The Harden/Lawson combo CAN work. Just because they're both ball dominant, doesn't mean they can't play together.

Look at how well the Bledsoe/Knight backcourt are working together. It's the system that's the problem... or it's the players who are the problem because they don't fir the existing system.

2. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

The problem is Bledsoe and Knight are both + on defense and both of our guys are negatives.

3. alethios

alethios Member

Thing is - Jones has quietly put two good scoring games together back-to-back. He's on a roll now and can create spacing for the guards. Just needs to pick up his rebounds and defense. I'd switch Jones with Harrell in that line-up you have. Unless your thinking is Jones would be more effective scoring in the 2nd unit.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Watching these Raptors play a 3 guard set vs these Warriors was very impressive. Partly because they really compete defensively. Want to learn how to play like these guys...learn that they played defense to get back in the game. Oh and on offense, they ran sets...

5. malakas

malakas Member

I always knew that it would work. (like Knight would next to Harden). It's because both guys are combo guards and can play off ball easilly.
    Lawson isn't like Knight or Bledsoe though.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thats exactly my reasoning. Terrence plays better when he comes off the bench in my honest opinion. He seems more focused and plays with a sense of purpose and aggressiveness. When he starts...I think he just gets to complacent. He would have Capella playing the role of garbage man along side him, that may suit him very well.

By having Harrell along side Howard, you give the team activity in the inside...And when teams double Howard, theyll do so off Harrell. Allowing him to crash offensive boards, and a legit above the rim garbage man.

By having Lawson orchestrate the bench offense, he can essentially work himself upto game speed, and be more of a factor down the stretch of games. I too think the Lawson combo could work, but it really requires Harden to trust Lawson initiating the offense. Something he has really been reluctant at...For now, its time to really integrate Lawson into the offense.

7. alethios

alethios Member

I agree - that frontcourt combo for the 1st & 2nd unit could do some damage. I've also seen Capela and Harrell play off each other pretty well too in certain circumstances. No reason they can't be paired in situations where it makes sense. Would take coaching to have situational awareness though and find the matchups that work against each team.

8. Allegro

Allegro Member

Lin the scrub is only scoring 19.1 points per 36 minutes this season. Of course the Rockets don't need such production, as losing is too important.

Oddly, Ty the proven player is scoring at less than half of Lin the scrub's rate (8.9 per 36). Just thought I would put this fact out there.

Agree about Lin and Lawson being in similar situations.

9. Mr Chuck Norris

You better change your job description!

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lmfao he got fired before he could do this hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It will be interesting to see what lineup changes JB has in store for the Rockets and see how Lawson is used.

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

looks like mchale won't be changing anything!