1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale lets his players do whatever they want (stupidly)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballclub, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ballclub

ballclub Member

McHale exerts hardly anything to his players. Case in point last night:

- Rockets were only down 10 points with 4:29 remaining in the game. That deficit is nothing in the NBA (a few days ago Dallas was down 11 to Portland with less than 2 points remaining, came back and won).

- McHale has the best player in the league who can draw fouls (Harden) and get to the line, stop the clock, and bite into the lead. Harden didn't drive to the basket all the rest of the game. This is what happened instead...

- The Rockets took 8 shots over the next couple of minutes until McHale threw in the towel and substituted everyone out. 7 of these 8 shots were 3-pointers on a night where they were struggling shooting them, and they only made one of these 7 attempts.

Any Coach worth his salt would have instructed his players to mix in some drives to the basket, especially with a player like Harden who's a master at doing it.

This is just another case that McHale lets the players do what they feel like doing (stupidly), and if it weren't for Harden, McHale would be in serious danger of losing his job.

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

3. tdo

tdo Member

The Clips have Deandre Jordan. They were packing the paint. All 8 shots were wide open. I'm pretty darn sure McHale didn't tell them to shoot only 3s. More than likely he said take the best available look, and that is essentially what they did. Shots didn't fall. It's very rare that a team is going to miss 36 3 pointers in a game, especially when 85% of them were uncontested.

1 person likes this.
  4. ballclub

ballclub Member

Everyone tries to "pack the paint" on Harden, but that doesn't prevent him from being a dominant force. You go with your strengths in a situation like that. 10 points is nothing.

The problem is that McHale doesn't tell his team to do ANYTHING strategically: he just lets them do whatever they want, which usually means 3-pointers because it's an easier shot. The exception is Harden, who usually has the courage to drive into the paint, and for some reason Harden didn't try to take over last night -- he deferred to other players shooting most of the 3s. But whatever Harden decides is usually how the Rockets fare. McHale is just a figurehead coach, way overpaid for just massaging guys' egos.

1 person likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

The team shoots too many 3's, PERIOD. This will be our downfall. Last year it didn't work, this year will be even more disappointing. The heartbreaking part is all they have to do is start running halfcourt sets. But apparently Morey's stubborn and refuses to abandon this strategy. Our whole games revolves around hitting 3pt shots. That's it. If we hit them, we win. If we miss them, we lose. SMH

6. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Murry is the coach.

7. The Law

The Law Member

10 points seems like 40 when you only have 9 points.

8. tdo

tdo Member

Wait so we win if we make shots, and lose if we miss them? I'm just trying to grasp this concept you speak of. Look we still had 44 points in the paint (w/o Dwight just in case you forgot), and were within reach after missing tons of open looks. The problem isn't how many open 3s we took, but how many we missed. If we make them even below league average at 33%, that is 15 made 3s for the game. We made 9. That is 6 more 3s which equals 18 pts. All of the sudden this is a completely different conversation. And that is at a below league average rate. Trust me, Harden and Ariza will not combine for 1-16 from the 3 very often, and when they do, we will probably lose.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets entire inside game consists of Harden drives, and DMo/Smith post-ups.

I'm not the biggest fans of Smith post-ups, though, especially last night, because he settled too much.

DMo wasn't in the game because, well, he wasn't very good last night. He played the first 5.5 minutes of the 4th, going 1-4 and resulting in the team going -8.

Harden couldn't do much last night, for whatever reason. Even his drives to the lane were uncharacteristic for him.

I said for whatever reason, though the reason was fairly obvious. They were packing the paint on him and giving him both soft and hard doubles most of the night. He did his usual job of awesome passing, but nobody was hitting anything.

This is why the Rockets BADLY need another wing player that can also create when his and others shots aren't falling. Passing to a wide open Ariza or PBev is useless when those guys can't hit that shot AND can't really drive to the rim and consistently make plays.

The PBev floater and horrible dribble under the rim Steve Nash attempt make me want to poke my eyes out. I'm still not sure why Ariza, given his measurables and apparently skill level, is so bleh at doing what Parsons did last year in driving and cutting to the rim, but he is. He has trouble finishing and is just a step too slow in everything on his drives.

This was not McHale's fault.

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I was annoyed at all the 3s instead of 2s, but they were mostly open. Can't blame Milkhair for everyone missing shots. We need more scoring threats. We need a Jamal Crawford or a scoring point guard. We will be stuck until that happens, or until Dwight comes back healthy..

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Rockets this year (and Harden in particular) play HORRIBLE on road back-to-backs.

Last 3 road back-to-backs: Orlando, Chicago (oh wait, that was home), Clippers.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Unless Harden is letting us know that he doesn't have quite the endurance that he would seem to have (might be a problem later in the season).

12. PeppermintCandy

I know this is a fan site where people can vent whatever they want regarding the team, and by no means do I think the Rockets coaches, management, players etc. are flawless.

Still, it amazes me how much weight some people give to their opinion about the sport, compared to those who devoted their entire lives to it.

/rant.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I hate it that McHale allows the players to miss shot after shot when they should know that the team needs them to MAKE those shots.

This is infuriating.

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Sometimes you just miss. Many of those balls were toilet bowling out.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm no McHale fan, but wasn't last night the 5th game in seven days? Physical and mental fatigue.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We stayed with the Clips till the end of the 3rd. Then we were blown out by Jamal Crawford even with Ariza on him.

The team was running on fumes on a late night game after a tough back to back game. It's easier to shoot the 3 than driving in with Jordan defending the lane. Hack-a-Jordan was an attempt to get him out of the game. It didn't work.

At least we weren't apologetic or half-assed about it. It was a legit strategy and IIRC the first time we ever tried it. Jordan was only making 1 out of 2 and everytime we got an open look at a 3. Good practice for any time we might need it again in the future.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Why hasn't McHale turned Bev or Brewer into super duper star like Klay Thompkins or Steven Curry. McHale needs to draw up plays and make players execute them like Doctor Rivers does.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Weird how Josh Smith got so much better under McHale. . . .

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McHale > SVG

20. carib

carib Member

Not a McHale fan, but Dmo in the post got neutralized by Jordan, James not getting foul calls and the wide open threes not falling. Those three things are a bad combination and I would love to know how the coach could overcome that. The solution is probably another playmaker which I am sure Morey has realized.