1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: Lawson not guaranteed starting spot [Chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Sep 16, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

True, Beverley shot better, but his defense was hurting the team a lot. I hope he bounces back, Bev was as frustrating as Rafer at one point.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You're right that he is able to handle it fairly well a majority of the time. The times he wasn't, however, were very ugly. I think the biggest issue with Bev's "fit" is still his ability to hit the 3 pointer at an above average clip consistently to keep the opposing defense honest. When both he and Ariza are off, the offense suffers incredibly.

That's where Lawson has more value with the starters.

This is a great post.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Playoffs are a completely different animal and should have little importance on your day in and day out starter. I am 100% fine with changing lineups to suit matchups/styles for the playoffs, but its pretty clear to me what needs to happen in the regular season.

Any relief Lawson may provide Harden as an offensive creator is going to be offset by the additional defensive effort they are going to have put forth by not have Beverley to hound opposing wing players. I see little need for it.

A Harden / Beverley backcourt was already producing at an elite level offensively and defensively. It simply doesn't make sense to change what is already performing at an optimal level because you will experience high levels of diminishing returns.

If you get the bench unit from below average to average, or even above average, that is where the real fruits of this trade are. If that were too happen, our best players would be able to sit out fourth quarters and preserve themselves for the playoffs, which should be the ultimate goal.

#63 larsv8, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My hope is that we are able to reduce Harden's work load and have him fresh for the playoffs. With the bench we have now, there is no reason for Harden/Ariza/Lawson to have to play more than 34 mpg. I would love to lower Ariza's to the 32 mpg range which is doable considering we have Corey/Thorton.

I like Patrick, but I definitely would prefer his energy off the bench. Considering Patrick's injury history, limiting his minutes to about 25 mpg for the season will be perfect for him. I definitely want to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

I like McHale's statements but we all know that Ty will more than likely win the starting position, which is where he needs to be in the rotation anyways.

Would prefer this minute rotation:

Lawson (30) / Beverley (18)
    Harden (34) / Brewer (8) / Beverley (6)
    Ariza (30) / Brewer (18)

In certain match ups, we could probably give Ariza/Brewer some time at the four and run Bev and Lawson together. Depending on the type of night Brew is having, we might need to give Thorton some spot minutes at the 2/3 rotation.

Really looking forward to this season, I definitely feel this is our year.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much the only reason the backcourt was producing at an "elite" level is because you have basically the MVP as one of those pieces. He's was able to carry a lot of the burden which was a luxury. There's not many players that are capable to carrying a team like that successfully. I definitely see what you're saying but I've always believed that Beverley's best role on a championship team is being the pg off the bench for 20-25 mins which I think is pretty much going to happen this season. At times we will probably see Lawson and Bev on the court together as well. The rockets are extremely deep this year and Lawson/Harden are going to give opposing team fits.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Quarterback controversy seems to be running rampant in Houston.

7. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

You don't know what Mchale's seen. You only know what you've seen.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Nah, the Rockets actually went out and got a quarterback(i.e. point guard). McHale just wants him to earn that starting spot in camp. Don't get me started on the Texans never addressing that position.

9. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Keep in mind that Brewer & Ty played together for 2 full seasons of which some time both as starters. They must know each other's game well, so makes sense to play them together. I cannot wait for that running game with Ty, Brew, James, TJ

10. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Coming into camp coach is not guaranteeing a guy with attitude and alcohol issues a starting role before proving to the team what he can be during camp.. I like this and agree with it - ultimately he will start, and succeed but he needs to prove his worth

11. AXG

AXG Member

That's what all coaches say.

12. malakas

malakas Member

yeah you are right. Maybe Mchale has seen some dreams. How about Lawson's whole NBA carreer as proof he is not a good defender? :rolleyes:

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A playoff team hardly ever brings in a new player and tosses them into the starting lineup from DAY 1.

Bev will probably start for 5 games and if Lawson outplays him he will eventually get the start, or the bulk of the minutes at least.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The worst starting PG in the league versus a top ten pg?:rolleyes:

I'm sure Lawson and Harden's minutes will be staggered so one is always on the floor but Lawson can and will start and get the lions share of the minutes.

Lawson is arguably the best passer and one of the best playmakers in the game. Pairing him with Harden will be somewhat akin to Wade and Lebron in Miami; just too much firepower to overcome. Too much court vision, too much ability to get to the rim and to find the open man.

I still don't think it has truly sunk in. Adding Lawson will have an impact like when Harden was added or Howard. Ty cleans up so much of what we need: ball handling, reducing turnovers, a second playmaker that gets to the rim and creates assists. And the kicker is it's not like he is some marginal upgrade he is neck and neck with CP3 in all these areas!

You're upgraded from about the worst playmaking PG in the league to just about the best. But yeah he shouldn't start.....

2 people like this.
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's going to have to work his butt off against Beverly and Terry in Practice. Both whom have some major length over him and his actual sub 5-11 frame.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't really care who starts at this point but McHale better make sure one of Lawson and Harden are always on the court except during blowouts

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

That's definitely False. Chris bosh, Lebron James, pau gasol, chandler parsons, Kevin love, Paul pierce is about to start for the clips. Just off the top of my head. A playoff team that brings in the talent level of a Lawson does not get put on the bench.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

He'll have no problems against those two

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

What a waste to bench Ty Lawson.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Minutes played & who finishes games. With the depth we have, no one should be playing more than 35 mpg. That'll keep everyone fresh for the playoffs.