1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale Harden dispute on TV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fair Dinkum, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What is to say that Harden wouldn't just disregard the next coach. I hope that he was reflective the last couple days. His Iso-ing at the end of the game is just not working. If they are going to ISO, then they need to go to the weakest defensive matchup.

2. seahawk

seahawk Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Three. Time is running out. Two. Need a bucket. One. What would/should James Harden do? <a href="http://t.co/nDccQX0G4P" title="http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Harden-gets-another-shot-to-make-good-for-Rockets-4477801.php?t=092688fd8ff992f472">houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets…</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/329603858261225473">May 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What? Hasn't Lowry been unhappy with every team he has played for?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

McHale has not been openly critical of Harden at all. What's he supposed to say, "I have no problem with Harden taking those ****ty shots?" He essentially said that young players needs to play through those mistakes to figure out what works and what doesn't. That's a fairly "kiddy-glove" approach, if you ask me.

1 person likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Jesus Christ a lot of y'all are a bunch of high school gossip queens. Y'all get your periods at the same time now?

This isn't a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for posting that article. It's basically a more well written piece from the same interviews. The quote from McHale that was poignant for me,

"... You have to be in those positions enough to know what works and what doesn't work. The only way in our league to find what works and doesn't work, you do it. And then it doesn't work, and at some point the light goes off, and you go, 'Aha, that doesn't work that well.'

"We'll fight. We'll do a lot of stuff. We're not a finished product. We have to keep getting better. We went over it today. In increments, we're getting better."

It seems like he went over the late game situation with Harden and the team. It'll be interesting in game 5 what they'll do down the stretch. I hope they can execute flawlessly.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No, "ball hogs" shoot ALL the time. Also, sorry but this IS Harden's team, he is by FAR the best player on the team. Delfino, Morey, Sampson and Parsons have all referred to Harden as the leader of the team.

Harden is 23, if you look through history, many elite players have struggled to trust their teammates at an early age... Jordan, Kobe, Olajuwon, etc.

Last, yes, Harden is going to be HEAVILY involved in the last shots, either taking them or setting them others up.

8. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

"We drew stuff up to get motion and movement," McHale said. "We had a double screen. We had some stuff that worked for us the entire series. We just held the ball. We have to attack. We held it too much in the game. We have to attack with enough time that we allow our offense do what it has to do, which is pass and move.

"Believe me, we discussed that a lot. If we're up seven or eight with 1:30 to go, then yeah, you run the clock down. But not in one- and two-possession games. We want to attack and be aggressive. At times, we get passive. We want to see everything and just be perfect. You have to drive and attack and play how we play best."

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

For Gods sake how can you say this isnt a big deal?!...this is what is bothering and preventing rockets the whole season....

10. torocan

torocan Member

The difference is that Teachers aren't going to lose their job. And Teachers can EXPEL or suspend students with limited fear of reprisal.

Coaches don't get that luxury. Morey isn't trading Harden. Whether it's the fault of McHale or Harden or both, if one has to go it's going to be McHale.

McHale doesn't have a championship pedigree. He doesn't have a deep resume to show he's a top tier coach. And he has been called out in the past by former players for having coaching weaknesses.

Push comes to shove, this is Harden's show. And if it takes a superior coach to get the best performance out of Harden, then that's what the Rockets will have to find.

Teachers and students don't always mesh. I've seen teachers that some students love and others hate. It doesn't mean the students are bad or the teachers are bad, just not every Teacher and Student meshes in the best possible way.

This might be true for Harden and McHale. We don't really know what's going on as we're not sitting in the locker room. However, the buck has to stop somewhere and it won't stop at the locker of the guy who is untouchable.

Depending upon who is really at fault here McHale either needs to reign Harden in, or adjust what he's doing to maximize the team. If he can't do one or the other, the only realistic answer is McHale needs to go.

1 person likes this.
  11. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

"We drew stuff up to get motion and movement," McHale said. "We had a double screen. We had some stuff that worked for us the entire series. We just held the ball. We have to attack. We held it too much in the game. We have to attack with enough time that we allow our offense do what it has to do, which is pass and move.

"Believe me, we discussed that a lot. If we're up seven or eight with 1:30 to go, then yeah, you run the clock down. But not in one- and two-possession games. We want to attack and be aggressive. At times, we get passive. We want to see everything and just be perfect. You have to drive and attack and play how we play best."

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ke-good-for-Rockets-4477801.php#ixzz2S3QDsFHg

I like what McHale said, very well informed. He must be reading Clutchfans.:grin:

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

"Definitely, it can help all of us," Harden said. "All those guys have confidence. They've been shooting the ball and making plays. All I have to do is bring my 'A' game, and everything should go smooth. Make sure our defensive mindset is there and we're on the same page, move our bodies and move the ball, and we should be fine."

----------

I still don't like his perception that he just needs to bring his 'A' game for things to go smooth.

What he needs to be saying/thinking is that he needs to do whatever it takes to help the team win, be it recognizing that when his 'A' game isn't on, that he'll make adjustments.

He also needs to stop 'talking' about playing defense and actually play it.

13. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

This is obviously McHale's fault, he never held James Harden accountable, he never dare to bench his superstar

14. cw3k

cw3k Member

Harden's last 3 shoots were all good shoot. He has enough space to shoot. It is just unfortunate that they didn't get in. If the shoots went in, you would said he is god now.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I think that you should read the posts cited... the OP wants Lin to do EXACTLY what Harden is being accused of doing.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, that's not true. A step back and contested jumper is a bad shot if you do it for 3 consecutive possessions whether they go in or not, especially if you're not shooting well for the entire night. To do it in crunch time when the entire team is shooting well is even worse.

Hero ball is fine if nobody is hitting anything. However, if your whole team is playing well Hero ball is not only unnecessary but selfish.

Good and bad basketball fundamentals don't change just because the shot goes in. That's a lesson JR Smith had to learn the hard way.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

i refuse to believe that Harden is that stupid....he knows how to play...these must be instructions from above

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

I know! He isn't VSPAN...... Right OHMSS?

20. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Or maybe his A game is playing as well as he can in any given game? :confused: What more can Harden control but how he performs on the court? James's A game consists of doing everything well from offense, defense and communicating with his teammates.

You kids...