1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale Harden dispute on TV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fair Dinkum, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Just saw this TV report entitled: "Harden, McHale still can't agree on what's a good last shot"

Here's the link to the video on CSN:
    http://www.csnhouston.com/basketbal...ale-harden-still-cant-agree-late-game-offense

McHale seems to be drawing up end of game plays but Harden is going ISO. McHale is not happy but Harden says they are good shots. I posted in another thread that I thought Harden was not accountable and I fear I'm correct. What's more worrying is this might be the first public dispute between the coach and star player on this team.

Personally, I would like the players to follow the coach's plays at the end of the game but if the star is ignoring him what can the coach do? How do you guys think this dispute can be resolved?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

So this is what happens when Lin sits.... amirite?

3. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

A player on the floor gets to see things occur that coach cannot plan for. Therefore, I think the player should have the option to make changes. Just don't make it a habit and you better succeed. Coach should trust the player but it goes both ways, player has to trust the coach too.

4. New

If this is real, we are in trouble. Is this piece of news credible?

5. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

"Those were good shots"

"Not having any rhythm, basically sitting out the 4th quarter"

"...would so the same thing, same thing"

So there you go. Harden's ego is unchecked. McHale can't get a reign on him.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

What has this got to do with Lin? Why does everything have to do with Lin? This is about the CSN TV report, also backed up by McHale's post-game interview. Please, I don't want any mention of Lin in this thread. Just stop it now!!!

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They'll work it out. This ain't a big deal at this point in the process.

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I'm not from Houston. It's on CSN which is COMCAST, a cable station so I guess its got some exposure.

9. strifed169

strifed169 Member

If McHale can't control him why not bench him? hes not afraid to bench Lin, Harden slowly being exposed for the black hole he is.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. dookiester

dookiester Member

Good find. I think some will see this and put Harden at fault but it's the coach's job to get the players to buy in. If Harden isn't buying in, McHale needs to figure out a way to make him buy in. Doesn't make any sense why these two wouldn't be on the same page, or why it wouldn't be easy to explain to Harden that no, just because you can create space for a step-back, doesn't mean it's a good shot, especially in light of Harden's now extended shooting slump. Doesn't bode well for McHale's future if he isn't able to get players to do what he says.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I agree McHale's lost control of Harden and I'm not sure he can get it back. I'd love for Phil Jackson to come in here and give Harden the MJ trust your team mates speech.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I dont know if any one remembers game 3 we get the ball with a chance to tie the game or win (that I don't remember) McHale is furiously calling for a 20 second timeout but Harden looks at him and runs into the lane and throws it the fisher.

to think that some think Mchale is actually calling for isos. At least Harden wants the ball with the game on the line like someone mentioned in a another thread

Ive seen Mchale draw up beautiful plays but I have noticed they come when Harden doesnt have the ball. prime example is when Delfino got an easy layup to end the half after a timeout.

1 person likes this.
  14. langal

langal Contributing Member

Either McHale is lying or Harden is being an ahole.

15. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Incoming Melo treatment from Lin fans.

16. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Good grief. Talk about overreaction.

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

McHale is gone at seasons end. I don't think the players respect him as a authority type figure. THEY MIGHT RESPECT him as a person, but his lack of coaching skills will be his downfall.I suspect Stan Van Gundy will be our coach by the start of next season.

18. dookiester

dookiester Member

And yes, Harden is stubborn (frustratingly so) for saying he'd do the same thing, when that "same thing" has produced negative results consistently, cost us games 2 and 3 of this series and nearly cost us game 4. But this reeks of poor coaching, when your best player isn't on the same page as the entire offensive philosophy of your coach.

19. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Do you agree with McHale or Harden?
    I have to say I was wrong about coach McHale. I though Harden ISO is all coach's idea. As to Harden, what concerned me is that he DID NOT KNOW where the problem is.

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

No need to compare Lin to Harden. This is about a common basketball theme in recent years... coach vs star player power relationships. I'm old school. I believe the players should listen to the coach in these situations.