1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale for Coach Of The Year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Mar 29, 2015.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sure, but that's the point of the thread. he's got a chance, yet no one talks about it because he's viewed as being a pretty average coach.

also, the coach of the best team doesn't always win the award. as i said in the first post, many times its the team that overachieved. kidd and mchale have AS GOOD a chance as kerr and bud.

now if i told you over the summer that mchale will finish top 5, maybe top 3, maybe even win COY this season, would you have believed me?

i think we're caught up (rightfully so) with the MVP race. but i think we should still be talking about the possibility that he's in the running for a major award. i'm not saying he deserves it or not. i'm not saying he's a great or awful coach. i'm saying the coach of our team is up for a major award and we should be rooting for this to happen too, right? i just want to start the discussion and help the cause.

2. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

It was hilarious listening to JVG today saying that Coach McHale only gets credit for what he has done this year in the Houston area and not nationally.

Obviously, JVG never reads the stupid stuff said about McHale on ClutchFans. The worst critics of McHale are on this forum.

McHale has done a great job with this team...and its good to finally see some recognition.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As well he should

Rocket River

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Kerr or Budweiser(don't ask me to spell his name correctly) will finish in the top 2 and deservedly so. McHale however should be in 3rd place. Name me one coach who has done a better job this season given the incredibly sh-tty hand he was dealt with all the injuries.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your an idiot if you don't think he deserves consideration. So please... just stop it.

[​IMG]

On top of that, the Rockets have had 15 different starting line-ups this season which will grow to 16 after tomorrow night. No other play-off team in the league has as many lost injury days to their starters and key rotation players as the Rockets. Despite all of that, the Rockets are on course to having their most successful regular season ever, they are tied for 1st in their Division and 2nd in the Western Conference. To deny coaching plays any role in all of that is ignorant at best and mean spirited, anti-Rockets and illogically biased at worst.

6. crash5179

I think McHale has a very strong case for COY. What Atlanta has done has been special but doing it in the Leastern Conference kind of makes it a little less impressive IMO.

Steve Kerr should probably win it though, what he has done with the Warriors is rare. All teams have let downs or hit walls throughout the season but not the Warriors who just keep going and going. Great offense, great defense and consistently great from start to finish in what is the toughest conference to do it in. He took a 50+ win team and made them a lot better. IMO thats just really hard to do. With all due respect to Pops, Carlisle or any other coach, he is the best coach in the league right now.

IMO...
    Kerr
    McHale
    Bud

In that order

7. Pyro451

Pyro451 Member

McHale is a good face for the Rockets, very good for the bigs, perhaps a little help on D (JVG would be an asset ) and maybe a little quicker to make adjustments mid quarter, he often has a good plan coming out of halftime. He knows what it takes to win. I finally forgive him & Bird for boning us in the 80's. However he's not COTY

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    We have to look at the record and the turmoil
    and conclude he is good.
    Do we have THE MOST TALENT ROSTER in the NBA
    that they over come not only injuries but incompetent coaching?

If this was JVG or Adelman . . . am I to beleive we would rival the 72-10 bulls?

Rocket River

2 people like this.
  9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Recruiter of the Year maybe. Coach? lol

10. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

lmao only on clutchfans do u see something like this. you don't remember ESPN making fun of Mchale last year?

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

right, like anyone ever gives 2 shet about what ESPN thinks

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We all made fun of McHale last year. He's doing a good job this year though. Despite all the injuries, despite a tougher conference than last season, and despite a crappy offseason for the front office(although Morey's rebounded during the season with Smith and Brewer), here we are at 50-23 with a vastly improved defensive team and a legit shot at the #2 seed. You have to give him at least some credit for that.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

whats our record against playoff contenders?

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McHale will be our coach for the next decade.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He will get better as a coach.

Just give the man time.

He was ultra competitive as a player. He will only improve.

What's important is that players listen to him. And he seems to be great at drawing up plays during time outs.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Should he get consideration??

Consider this:

Kerr is 10 games above McHale.
    McHale is 9 games above Scotty Brooks

If Brooks had OKC at #2 seed right now, with those injuries, would he get consideration?

1 person likes this.
  17. bongman

bongman Member

You mean the way Charles Barkley ? Think for yourself and let the facts speak for themselves. You have a very good chance of being 2nd seed in the western conference while having all the injuries.

You are correct about some clutchfans posters, quick to give everybody else credit except for their own.

18. dmoneybangbang

I think this board as a whole underestimates McHale, but he shouldn't be coach of the year.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hes not as bad as mcfail haters say but he's not a good coach either. overall he's an average coach. id rather see him as the lead assistant coach but they extended him 3 years. hopefully they do somethign about the lack of plays in the offense this offseason

20. crash5179

Why? Because you don't like him? That's not really relevant. Give a reason why you don't think he should be COY and then support that reason with facts... if you have any. Sounds like you are saying he is just not that good when the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the contrary.

By the way, for the record, I don't think he should win COY because I think what Steve Kerr has done in just his first year as head coach has been even more remarkable. Having said that, if it were not for Steve Kerr I would definitely have McHale as the COY. Kevin is definitely deserving of serious consideration.