1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale 6th in Coach of the Year voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockingRox, Apr 21, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Good for McHale. Well deserved.

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

Lmao... Decides to put me on ignore, then proceeds to read and reply. That's not how the ignore list works buddy.

Maybe I should clarify. I meant blind homerism. Being a fan doesn't mean shutting my eyes and ears to facts and criticism.

I guess attacking posters is all you can do instead of talking about the rockets.

3. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Very well deserved.

4. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Actually we should be so fortunate...your view of "facts" leaves much to be desired

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Some casual fans think that if a player eventually ends up being a good player, you could have just thrown him out there from day one.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin McHale received 13 votes for coach of the year. Rick Carlisle got one.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/590547727953563650">April 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think 6th place is pretty good for MChale, he certainly isn't a dunce like what some posters here keep saying. Haters gonna keep on hating though, good thing these guys are nobodies :rolleyes:

8. GMNot

GMNot Member

There is a component to this that's always been around... lack of respect for anything Houston Rockets from a national media. Join the team and you will suffer that. Remember the ire and disbelief of Rocket fans at the possible lack of a SI special issue for (which championship?). Sure analysts ooh'd and ah'd over Olajuwon's skills, but the teams that won back-to-back championships -- the second from a 6th seed -- did not get the same respect as they would have had they been from LA or NY. As a matter of fact, the national media did little to counter the argument that the Rockets only did it because Jordan was not around (well, he was for the second one, but the Bulls didn't advance to the Finals.) The fact that Harden made the cover this season is like a makeup call. Or maybe his beard helped. ;)

Charles Barkley's demeanor (and vocal criticism of his perceived slight by the Rockets organization) is just a more noticeable example of the lukewarm praise by many. There is no real enthusiasm by his counterparts -- O'Neal and Smith. Listen for it. I don't hear it. Maybe I'm just jaded.

There are exceptions. I always appreciate Hubey Brown's comments when he covers Rockets games.

I wouldn't argue that Kerr hasn't done a good job, but he does have a talented squad which has avoided injuries much more than the Rockets. Budenholzer may be more deserving since Atlanta has no stars like Curry and Thompson. From that perspective I'd give Budenholzer the edge.

All teams have coaching staffs. The head coach, like a quarterback, gets the lion's share of the glory with success and the boot when things are bad. The truth lies outside of that simplistic viewpoint. It is a team/staff effort.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well deserved, f*** the haters

10. GMNot

GMNot Member

here is a component to this that's always been around... lack of respect for anything Houston Rockets from a national media. Join the team and you will suffer that. At least it goes back to the 2 championships. Remember the ire of the fans at the possible lack of a SI special issue for (which championship?). Sure analysts ooh'd and ah'd over Olajuwon's skills, but the teams that won back-to-back championships -- the second from a 6th seed -- did not get the same respect as they would have had they been from LA or NY. As a matter of fact, the national media did little to counter the argument that the Rockets only did it because Jordan was not around (well, he was for the second one, but the Bulls didn't advance to the Finals.) The fact that Harden made the cover this season is like a makeup call. Or maybe his beard helped. ;)

Charles Barkley's demeanor (and vocal criticism of his perceived slight by the Rockets organization) is just a more noticeable example of the lukewarm praise by many. There is no real enthusiasm by his counterparts -- O'Neal and Smith -- either. Listen for it. I don't hear it. Maybe I'm just jaded.

There are exceptions. I always appreciate Hubey Brown's comments when he covers Rockets games.

I wouldn't argue that Kerr hasn't done a good job, but he does have a talented squad which has avoided injuries much more than the Rockets. Budenholzer may be more deserving since Atlanta has no stars like Curry and Thompson. From that perspective I'd give Budenholzer the edge. (Coaching stars has a way of making a head coach look like a genius. I always wondered how many coaches could have won championships in Chicago with Jordan.)

All teams have coaching staffs. The head coach, like a quarterback, gets the lion's share of the glory with success and the boot when things are bad. The truth lies outside of that simplistic viewpoint.

11. GMNot

GMNot Member

Sorry for the double post. The first one didn't show up for a few minutes. I posted again before seeing the first one.

12. bongman

bongman Member

Well deserved, coach.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

So the guys that watch and call the Rockets all season long don't vote for McHale. Tells you something.

How can you vote for Kerr as your coach of the year and then Curry for MVP?
    How can you say McHale is not a top 3 coach and not vote Harden as MVP?

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That not every voter is biased and actually votes on merit?

McHale wouldn't have made my top 3 this year and I feel like I make a post nearly everyday in his defense. Finishing 6th sounds about right to me for this season.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are an idiot and you ARGUE EVEN WHEN I AGREE WITH YOU, lol. What a r****d. Playing time is a part of developing a player, I'm not sure how that's a stupid notion when it's completely true. Playing time can increase confidence and most importantly EXPERIENCE. It's like a pilot logging hours of real flight time, NOTHING COMPARES TO REAL EXPERIENCE.

Secondly I agreed that he chose Parsons over Budinger but it's not like Budinger was some 8 year vet, Bud was basically a rookie himself. DMO did a good job he just needed more playing time which was proven when he got MORE PLAYING TIME, lol. But that only happened when Mchale HAD TO DO IT. But regardless he still did it and I agree that he should get credit for their development, not sure why you are arguing with me over that?

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No not "throw him out there", give him playing time. Mchale throws vets out there when they are not playing well please explain to me why it can't be youngsters also?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

And that those unbiased voters who arguable know the most about the Rockets than all the other voters know he wasn't worthy of a top 3 vote.

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Fran thank you. He still gets Rockets ball, and for that I'm thankful.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he is was only 6th with all of the injuries and the 3rd best record in the NBA shows how negatively many people see his coaching IMO.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

...or how much credit they give James Harden for the Rockets' success IMO