1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady & Yao: Enough to Make Rockets NBA Title Contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tango, Jul 22, 2006.

1. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

RocketForever is proud to be a Rockets homer. Thank you for the compliment.

Oh, by the way, you still haven't explained how a kid could have learned to play American basketball to compete in the NBA by attending one single basketball camp which lasted for a few days and by watching the NBA on TV. We are waiting for you to share.

#61 RocketForever, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I've had you on my ignore list from practically your first post, but seeing this quoted, I had to respond. The Asian Mafia is taking over the site. LOL. You've been here for like three weeks. WTF do you know about the damn site.

And judging by your posting style, your preoccupation with "Asian" posters, and the fact that you're from Rosemead, what are the chances that you're a self-loathing Asian guy. I'd put it at 99.9%

If you've got an identity crisis and an inferiority complex, then keep that to yourself. Bashing Yao doesn't make you any better.

And if you're not Asian, then get over it, you're freaking obsessed. Quit your race-baiting and STFU. Dumbass.

And everyone else, cut it out with quoting him. The ignore list doesn't work if other posters quote the offensive party.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow nix if that's all you think of yao then I don't know what to say.

saying yao is only a little better than okur is like saying dream was only a little better than wallace

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, Yao unintentionally caught Tracy out when asked about that story :D

5. nix101

nix101 Member

Here are some of the ridiculous quotes I've read on this site: (I'm paraphrasing)

Trade Tmac for Iverson
    Yao's a better center than Hakeem
    The centers now are better than the centers in the 90s
    It takes centers longer to develop
    Yao & Tmac are better than Shaq and D-wade
    T. Chandler, Cedric Simmons, Hilton Armstrong's combined stats won't even be half to Yao's, when Chandler alone averaged 9 rebounds to Yao's 10.

But I get bashed because I riled up the Asian Mafia! :eek:

I said that Mehmet Okur will become a more EFFECTIVE PLAYER than Yao. (Because I trust Sloan's coaching more than JVG's) Is that far-fetched? Look at Okur's numbers. He's almost a double-double guy. It's not like I'm comparing Yao to Nenad Kristic or Nazr Mohammad. During Yao's rookie season, people were comparing him to Shaq. And Okur is playing with two legitimate power forwards--Boozer and AK--so his numbers should be down.

I back up my arguments, brother.
    You're just part of the Asian Mafia who can't accept any criticism of Yao. You're either against Yao or for. I bet if I compare Yao to B. Wallace, I'll get bashed too. After an excellent half of a season, Yao fans are already christening him to Jesus Christ? Doesn't he need to part a red sea or heal a prostitute first?

Just curious, what exactly does YOH stand for? :D For the life of me, I can't figure out what the O stands for?

6. nix101

nix101 Member

You see, M_Cable, there's somebody who does love me. :D

And I've already mentioned in one of my posts that I live in Monterey Park, California, which is 89.999% Asian-Americans. You dumbass! ;)

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Then why don't you update your profile. Either way, I've got you pegged.

Well back to the ignore list for you. I've wasted enough time on you already.

8. compucomp

compucomp Member

Mehmet Okur is more EFFECTIVE than Yao??? Then why is Yao's PER 5 points higher than Okur's, while he holds his opponent to a lower PER by 3 points, while they play the same position? Why is Yao's +/- way higher than Okur's? That's how you measure effectiveness, if you want to go away from the traditional measurements where Yao clearly wins because he puts up better stats with less numbers, and you still fail. For proof, go to 82games.com.

Your attempts at a straw man argument are pathetic. You're just putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. In place of putting forth your own legitimate argument, you resort to straw man arguments instead.

9. compucomp

compucomp Member

Oops, meant put up better stats with less *minutes*.

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i skimmed through the first post, but id have to disagree that with tmac and yao on the court, it makes a huge difference. our supporting cast may or may not be better than our cast was 2 seasons ago that remains to be seen but what we can say is that we're moving a direction that will hopefully lead us to a prosperus future..with that said

ROCKETS NBA CHAMPS 06-07 whos with me? :cool:

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so are you just remembering one idiots quotes over the huge vast majority of the bbs? It certainly sounds like you are. I really think that you aren't even trying to be serious because you are being so horribly selective with your memory.

wow way to invalidate any criticism of your arguments by calling anyone against you apart of the asian mafia.

I really don't know how to respond to you saying that okur is more effective than yao. I guess it's like saying marbury is better than nash. okur isn't on yao's level. it's like you showing me the color blue and saying "no that color is red".

12. koneasy

koneasy Member

the clutch playing is missing. When the game is close, the clutch playing is crucial to the winning and it isn't indicated in the offensive or definesive efficiency. With healthy T-Mac and Yao, we can easily keep close, if not win early, to our opponents, so we have much more chance to win games thanks to the excellent clutch playing of the super stars, especially T-Mac.

13. kingkow

kingkow Member

u should show this to morey =)

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

LOL, maybe he should eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden or kill Goliath while he is at it, just like Jesus.
    :D

15. Tameway

Tameway Member

Look at our team. It will fail again if Yao or T-Mac is injured again.

16. fnn2097

fnn2097 Member

With a healthy Yao and Mcgrady and a contributing supporting casts, its enuf to get us into the playoffs. Contenders maybe not yet. If the rox can sign one or two more players to address our problem at SG and PF, we might be able to go deep into the 2nd round. Again healthy issues and consistency are the Q's to be answered.

17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

in replay to Tango's explanation.

you're explanation exlcludes the impact mentally of having yao and tmac on the floor.. when they're on the floor, everyone will just play better and be more relaxed and more confident and this HUGE difference cannot be quantified.. that's why great players lead teams to victory. half the battle of winning a championship isn't talent.. it's heart, leadership, and confidence. that's why tmac and yao are so important.. they rise above the stats during key moments in the season and these statistics cannot be written down or analyzed.

18. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

I don't disagree that you can't directly measure the intangibles (heart, leadership, confidence).

But let's probe your first statement a little bit. You state that Yao & TMac will make their team-mates more relaxed and confident resulting in everyone "just playing better". Doesn't the idea of "better" mean that you have some measure of what is "worse"? If that's the case then you must have some way of tangibly quantifying what is better vs. what is worse otherwise how would you know what better or worse is.

So the question is what does "better" look like to you? I'll bet dollars to donuts that once you describe what "better" looks like to you that you would be able to come up with ways to measure/quantify what better looks like.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Heh. I only needed to see two of nix101's posts before I allocated him permanent idiot status. The level of tripe in his short posting history is almost frightening.

20. josh123

josh123 Member

i just feel with all the teams in the west being so powerful (PHO, DAL, SAS, LAC if you believe in them) we should have taken our chances with Gay. Dont worry this isnt another 'i hate that trade' post but i feel we coulda used that additional firepower to compete with the west. Tracey and Yao COULD be enough given health and how these role players will pan out but i feel that we shoulda taken a chance on wat coulda be a great 3rd scorer in Gay...with Gay panning out i say we have MORE than enough