1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady: How we can get both a starting point guard and a starting shooting guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Hinrich's been around long enough that we pretty much know his ceiling. And we know he's overpaid.

Brooks is just getting started and, from the time of the Alston trade, he got better nearly every game. We have no idea what his ceiling is and we have him on a rookie contract.

As of today, I'd peg them as about equally valuable in very different ways. But as time goes on, Brooks' value will almost certainly rise and Hinrich's won't. Add their contracts and it's a no-brainer to prefer Brooks to Hinrich in a straight up comparison.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I tried to stray away from free agent point guards like Bibby and Andre Miller is because Sign and Trades rarely ever happen in today's NBA economy especially when team are trying to save money. Why would the Sixers or the Hawks bring in more salaries/players and help out their FA point guard? I mean, if we can get an Andre Miller I'm all for it but those S&Ts are pretty tricky.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's very well thought out. I would like to point out that although Detroit may have enough money for two stars but I doubt if they would be happy playing along with only a top 5 rookie and Stuckey etc. Kirk has recovered from his injuries and is worth going along with Rip,even if we don't get a finisher.

4. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

I agree with that but salmons has 2 years 6mil and deng has 5 years 9.5mil, do you realistically think that they would add a 2 year 9.5 mil contract to play 3rd string and add some defensive depth, I dream that they would I really do heck i would keep prince and give them artest i dont care i just want rip and hinrich.

5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Tmac, Battier, Landry, Lowry for Rondo, Allen

6. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Sorry but your off by about 11mil on the money

7. steddinotayto

Well, they were paying their back up point guard 10 mil a year for 4 years last year :D Also trading Thomas away drops another 4 mil off of their books after next season.

Essentially they are trading out $9 mil (Hinrich) and $4.7 mil (Thomas) for Prince's $10.2 mil next season. Then Prince has an expiring contract after next season for any potential trading purposes.

8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I like Brooks but I couldn't disagree more with the part in bold. Right now he's a hot commodity because of what he did against the Lakers, the highest-profile team in the league and the team that eventually won the title. There's sort of a buzz around him. In the future, even if he plays well, his value could easily fall as the public's memory of his playoff performance fades away.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There might be an outside chance of getting Bibby for the MLE. I wouldn't mind offering him a 3 yr deal for it as a last resort,but my preference would be to get a backup center, Wafer with the MLE, resign Ron,and trade McGrady.
    A tall order I admit. DM really needs to get lucky.

I think Ron will want to leave Houston because of Yao's health,and DM needs to look for a S&T for a SG/PG or a backup C.

10. steddinotayto

We definitely need a back up center and I think that's the most underrated position on our wish list. The beauty of doing a trade like this is that we're not using any exemptions to sign players or using a S&T to add onto our salary cap. Using an MLE on a player like Chris Andersen or a Brandon Bass would be a great acquisition.

11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I know but I didn't feel like including all the necessary filler. I'm not going to look up all the numbers right now, but is there not some way to make that work. Maybe throw in like Scalabrine and Mikki Moore or something?

12. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Yes but then they have no PF, besides noah and james johnson, and sense neither one is a good nba starter they are hurting there record next season, and considering the fact that made the playoffs and took it to a game 7, i think thats gonna matter to them. Now i understand that prince would help them win some games but considering the fact that they got 2 other sf that would start on most teams in the nba, playing ahead of him, Im not exactly sure how much of an impact he would really make. Im just saying i have never seen a more expensive log jam at a position if that were to happen

13. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Trust me its to many fillers to be worth it

14. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

Nice trade . we can also send B.Barry to the Pacers for Foster .

Cap wise ,it works.

Yao/Foster
    Scola/Landry/Dorsey
    Artest/Battier/White
    Rip/Taylor/Chase
    Hinrich/Brooks/Lowry

15. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

16. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Cook for Haddadi for the griz, thats what i want, low risk medium reward

17. Batman Jones

I don't disagree with you in terms of trade value. I meant that his value to the team would rise and I think it's hard to argue it won't. He's clearly still green and he's clearly improving rapidly. It's his potential that has his trade value high -- not what he's done already but what his past accomplishments signal for the future. I can't imagine anyone think he's peaked.

So my point was, given the fact they're currently of about equal value to their teams, why pay 10 million or whatever for Hinrich (who has almost definitely peaked) instead of paying 2 million or whatever for Brooks (who hasn't).

18. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

19. Batman Jones

All that was in response to the idea of trading Brooks for Hinrich instead of McGrady. I can't imagine why we would want to do that if the McGrady deal was available and we could manage to keep Brooks. It's pretty sad that Brooks (a 20something pick that we ALL thought was a mistake at the time) is more valuable to the team than McGrady, but he is.

20. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

You gotta wonder if he has though, probably not offensively but defensively ima have to say i dont think its physically possible for him to get to much better