1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McDonald: Spurs Had Close Call With Camby

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Spurs210, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

Spurs had close call with Camby
    By Jeff McDonald

As you probably know by now, the Spurs did not make a move in advance of this afternoon's NBA trade deadline. It was not, however, for lack of trying.

At the center of the Spurs best wheeling-and-dealing effort: Marcus Camby.

At one point today, according to league sources, the Spurs had an offer on the table of Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and George Hill for Camby, the L.A. Clippers' shot-blocking center.

That deal came undone just before the deadline, and the Spurs walked away empty handed in their seemingly endless quest to add another big man.

THE STUPID OWNER WAS THE ONLY REASON WHY THIS TRADE WAS REJECTED. THE CLIPPERS FO APPROVED THE TRADE AND AT THE LAST MINUTE THE CLIPPERS OWNER REJECTED IT :( IMAGINE CAMBY AND DUNCAN IN THE BACKCOURT :eek: AND BRUCE BOWEN WOULD OF BEEN BOUGHT OUT

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I think the spurs would have been giving up too much. Bowen, Oberto, Hill are all serviceable players. It's not like the Spurs have a ton of depth as it is anyways. Camby and Duncan sounds good on paper so did Jermaine O'neal and Bosh. Either way I think the trade would have been a lateral move for both teams since Clippers have a ton of PGs and SGs already.

3. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I disagree. Adding Camby into the frontcourt with Duncan would have made the spurs an absolutle defensive nightmare for their opponents.

4. ty185

ty185 Member

sorry I'm a bit lost here.... This proposed trade, in what way, shape, or form, benefits clippers? I don't see a solid reason for them to do this at all, and how is rejecting this trade considered stupid?

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I SERIOUSLY DONT GET IT...SPURS ARE OFFERING THESE RUBBISH PLAYERS FOR PLAYERS SUCH AS VINCE CARTER AND MARCUS CAMBY...!!!

I MEAN COME ON I CANT BELIEVE THE OTHER TEAMS AREN'T REJECTING SUCH JOKE OFFERS STRAIGHT AWAY!

Why don't we offer Brent Barry Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks for Vince Carter or Marcus Camby then??? and landry is 10 times better than oberto

do the nets or the clippers get ANYTHING out of this? young prospects?? u gotta be kidding if all they want is george hill for VC or camby...

6. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I totally agree with ty185. It would have been idiotic for Clips to do this trade unless they feel George Hill is an asset. It's not like it would be a salary dump because Oberto and Bowen's contracts end next summer like Camby's.

Plus, this would have made the Spurs quite superior so I'm not sure why you seem to be upset by this?! Did you mean to post this in the Spurs forums!?

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

That's almost as lopsided as the Gasol trade. At least the Grizzles got cap relief, a starting center, and a draft pick.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm guessing you'd have Duncan as your PG and Camby as the SG?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I heard this was Camby's reaction to this news:

[​IMG]

10. TheDream24

TheDream24 Member

They would have been even better defensively since they wouldn't have needed to trade Kurt Thomas one of their best post defenders.

Spurs would lose a lot of perimeter defense though with Bowen gone.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn, San Antonio would've effectively locked down the paint with Camby and Duncan. The Clippers management has been notoriously difficult to deal with, so this comes as no surprise.

12. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

are you kidding me you got probably the best big man defender in the league and the best help defender in the league?

we dont have depth

if we did this trade

Camby/Kurt Thomas
    Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner
    Bruce Bowen(would of been bought out)/Michael Finley
    Roger Mason/Manu Ginobili
    Tony Parker/Jaque Vaughn :rolleyes:

we would of probably went to get a point guard or try to get alston :p ha

13. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

yah i agree but George Hill is a heck of a player didn't you see what he did against Yao im sorry i had to mention that but he's a hell of a upcoming player and Oberto just for his expiring contract IMO. I guess it was jsut to get Camby's Contract off the books but Spurs are still contenders so it would of been awesome :D

14. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Hes actually one of the worst post defenders for his height, the guy is a stick figure. The effects of his help defense is also debatable. Camby is one of the most overrated players in the league.

15. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

i agree but he can still block shots and rebound thats all we need right now to win a championship again :D

16. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

well because the spurs are true contenders and i guess spurs have some expiring contracts and a couple of guys overseas that ae pretty good that we could offered also

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sterling did the right thing.Duncan would have covered for his weaknesses on post defense but Marcus would add shot blocking,rebounding and quickness to the team.

#17 saleem, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  18. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Bowen wouldn't have been on your team anymore. You have to wait 30 days to re-sign him, and players have to be on your team March 1 to be on playoff rosters.

19. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

no look what happened last year with yalls boy barry he was cut by the sonics last year when we traded for kurt thomas

20. lalala902102001

So Donald Sterling screwed up the Spurs...I love it. :D