1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCann contract and long term Catching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Framing has always existed. It has been called framing, receiving for as long as I can remember. The new concept is that framing can be quantified, and that it is a much bigger deal than most teams thought (i.e., the difference in framing between catchers has drastically reduced the past 3 years or so). The term teams use is "presenting".

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We will be ok through the summer with what we have, but I am not sure I am comfortable with it come playoff time. I want a veteran back there.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Stassi now has a respectable .742 OPS (.757 career) against RHP. He doesn't get exposed in the running game,and he handles himself well behind the plate.

We will probably give Stassi a chance to be the man for the next month, see how he fairs. If he starts regressing with regular work then he is the capable backup we thought he was, but maybe he should be our 100 game starter next season. I'm sure the Astros would love to avoid making an expensive move if at all possible. Locking in a cheap team controlled starter would be huge, even if he does regress to simply being an OK starter.

Can't find fresh starters if you don't give them a chance first.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

trade for castro! you guys know you miss the swinging strike and the staredown he gives the ump.