1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe we can trade for Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by suddenimpact, May 20, 2003.

1. CrazyJoeDavola

When I posed that question, I was thinjing they did make one big FA acquisition in recent memory but the player escaped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.

I think my point is still valid though. Atlanta will always be the type of team that is better off trying to improve via a trade and draft picks rather than clearing out cap space to sign a bunch of FAs. Unless they are from there (and the whole money issue notwithstanding), I can't think of a reason why Atlanta would be an attractive option for a big name FA.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd do the Griff + Rice for SAR deal, but if they wanted Mobes we'd have to get more back imo. Dickau, Dermar Johnson and the #21 pick might cut it. Or not.

If we're trading away Rice, Griff, and Mobes in one trade it better be the perfect deal because those are the best trade assets we have.

fwiw, at the trading deadline I believe the rumors were that they were asking for all 3 for SAR.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Crisco, even the rest of the players u listed dont solve <b>all</b> our problems. Not saying it wouldnt be a fair deal, just that it wouldnt be that benefitial to the Rockets. U r right though, if we do trade all 3 of them, we better solve our all our needs, especially tough pf and veteran pg.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

If the Rox are confident that SAR will take less $ to re-sign, I'll take the Griff+Rice deal. If that isn't going to be the case Atl can keep their guy thank you very much. If Mobes has to be a part they had better throw in Dermarr (his D was getting really good before the accident) and maybe a pick.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Griffin, Rice, and Mobley for Shareef???? HECK NO.

Griffin and Rice? That sounds great.

Griffin, Rice, and Mobley for ELTON BRAND?!?!?! HECK YES!!! Maybe they can add Marko Jaric or Chris Wilcox or WangZhiZhi.

:D

Steve Francis
    Cuttino Mobley
    Shareef Abdur Rahim
    Maurice Taylor
    Yao Ming
    Moochie Norris
    James Posey
    Bostjan Nachbar
    Terence Morris
    Kelvin Cato

Hmm...well.......we'd still have Mobley, Moochie, Taylor, and Cato.

I still think we need to get rid of them...somehow.

Francis, Mobley, SAR, Taylor or Posey or Nachbar, and Yao. Well that's one very talented bunch...but man.....how are they gonna run an offense? Everyone goe 1on1 all day..jacking up shots.

Mobley still needs to go.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

How about all of our bad contracts for Atlanta's bad contracts? If Atlanta is desperate to dump the fiancee-beatin, no-defense-playin Glenn Robinson, then try this on for size:

Atlanta trades:
    SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)
    PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3.0 apg in 38.1 minutes)

Atlanta receives:
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -19.0 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Houston trades:
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)

Houston receives:
    SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 69 games)
    PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3.0 apg in 81 games)
    Change in team outlook: +19.0 ppg, +7.1 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

7. SLA

SLA Member

lol I wish...we could add Terence Morris or a 2nd round pick as well.

But why would we want a wifebeating Glenn Robinson???? When does his contract expire?

Moochie, Taylor,and Rice leaving. VERY NICE! Add Cato...for Ratliff. :)

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

because the ATL is about to become a hotbed for free agents. they have new managment coming (i think), and the city is home to a healthy population of wealth african americans. entertainers, business owners, etc. ATL, as far as black people are concerned, is a seriously growing city. if the new management can show some direction for the franchise and get the city excited about it, ATL will attract free agents...

9. SLA

SLA Member

yeah i heard about that..........Atlanta is like all players' favorite place to go......but the players in Atlanta aren't happy. Or something...

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

the players aren't happy because mgmt has been tight with the purse strings. that's about to change, though.

in many ways, ATL and houston are alike. good weather, diverse population, good % of affluent black people, lots of black entertainment, fairweather fans ;) , etc. yet, we talk about houston being a great FA location and shun ATL. the only difference between the two, nba-wise, is ownership. we've been blessed with les alexander.

remember with patterson owned the team? we weren't exactly a FA hotbed then. in fact, we were remarkably similar to the hawks of today...except we had olajuwon, who we drafted.

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

the players dont like it because the fans are terrible.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look, you can get PJ with the MCE if he gets paid later. That's done with SAR. You can get Alvin Williams for one of our spare big men - Taylor or Cato - who cares. That hits 1 2 3. Yeah, I'd prefer to do it without Cat, but he's just trade bait, anyway. No possible way he stays. Best case scenario - Cat goes in the Odom pack, or PG package to get an even better option. Is there one? Payton? He's not really better. Grumpy Gramps, who need that? Only if Micheal Redd is involved. Then we don't need a point!
    Steve can play it! Redd is the unstoppable shooter perfect for Rox.

The real choice is SAR or Odom, IMHO. I'd try both and see who's cheaper. You still get Williams and PJ the same way.

NOT making a deal because you're skeeerd sux, bbs happy boys. It's begging to lose. NEVER just shoot a deal down - make sure you have a better one.

13. SLA

SLA Member

Griffin and Rice for SAR.
    Mobley for Odom.
    Taylor and Morris for Williams and Some loser.

Williams/Moochie
    Francis/Posey
    Odom/Posey/Nachbar
    SAR/PJ Brown
    Yao/Cato

Woohoo. What a miraculous dream.

14. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

if we could get those dudes, we would be like rockin!:cool:

15. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think SAR is a great player. Maybe the most under rated player in the game. I would trade Griffin+Rice for SAR in a heartbeat. I don't even think SAR is over paid, like I said I think he is the most underrated player in the game.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

making a deal cuz where the rox are on the losing end just to shake up the team sux. As does assuming you can get PJ with the MLE or Alvin Williams with one of our backups.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

SAR,Glover,and 1st rd pick for Griffin,Taylor, and Mobley. Addition with SAR and glover, subtraction in shots with Taylor,Griffin,and Cat. Salaries match, so whats the problem..

18. SLA

SLA Member

Sounds very nice.

Glover.....he's okay.....got schooled by 40 year old Michael Jordan.

But 1st round pick would be nice!

There is no problem!

It would be great!