1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe..just maybe... Daryl Morey isn't "that" smart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

First you say they overpay because they are under the cap know you change everything you said because you're wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about. Second, what type of "Genius" goes after a player he has no chance at keeping? A second max player? Who would that be? Howard is not coming here. It's a pipe dream. If he does, it will take every draft pick we have and anyone on the team with any upside (meaning Lin and Asik will still be here). Then Howard leaves and we are worse off then we are now.

2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

We are about to sign Hasheem Thabeet(at full potential) in Asik if you look at the advanced stats, and we got worse at the PG position from last year.

Thank god for the rookies

3. Nero

Nero Member

In fairness though, I don't think anyone is claiming that Morey has been perfect.

Just very very good at MANAGING the team's resources and assets. (He is a General MANAGER after all)

He has made a couple of moves that I would classify as 'bad'.

1) Ariza. The guy just never was what Morey thought he was going to be. Lucky for us that Morey was as good as he is though, since that move did end up as Courtney Lee, who proved to be every bit as good as advertised, if not arguably better. Still, I do not believe Morey picked up Ariza with the intent to flip him for Lee, so I still ding him for the move in the first place.

2) Giving NJ a 1st rd pick for Terrence Williams. I am surprised people do not howl about this a lot more. Losing a 1st rounder for nothing at all is a really bad deal, but I hardly ever see anyone mention it. Now to be honest, while I am being fair, I do acknowledge the very real possibility that Williams' failure here was not so much do to Morey making a bad deal as to Adelman not wanting to play him. In fact, I feel pretty sure that T-Will was the straw that broke the camel's back and led to Adelman's dismissal. Regardless of the reason, whatever Morey saw in T-Will, Adelman did not see it, and we wound up cutting the guy. Possibly, had the coach actually played Williams, this could have ended differently, but if and coulda don't really mean anything in this situation, because what happened happened. Terrible return on a 1st-round investment.

Other than those two glaring examples, I have not really had any problems with Morey's moves, even taking into account that I had as much manly love for Dragic as anyone.

That's a pretty darn good record, as far as I am concerned.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nero

Nero Member

Wow, all three nearly identical troll posters all in a row in the same thread.

dreamshake1 = youngshev03 = obamafan

Whaddya wanna bet?

Smells like DD around here... ;)

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't like Asik but this is just idiotic.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

For the life of me I cannot figure out why these trolls continue to be fed.

7. Garner

Garner Member

Well said.

8. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

My opinion is valid based on the fact theres nothing GREAT Morey's done. These rebuttals are mostly excuses and petty personal attacks. None of which explain what makes Morey great. Feel free to explain

That's your opinion. And so is the notion Morey's somehow smarter than most GM's. Looking at all the transactions we've had, I certainly dont see anything great about our roster. Do you?

First off, I could care less what's said about me. In my opinion, Morey's tenure as Rockets GM has lacked substance. People claiming he's great have nothing to back that up. In fact, the organization hasn't known what direction it wants to go since Les hired Morey.Yet those who criticize are "ill informed" and "infantile". You sound stupider defending this clown than I do criticizing him.

You sound bitter and hurt. I'm foolish for even responding to this jibberish. Most of you are bigger fans of Morey than the Rockets. Results wise, he hasn't delivered. Now log off and go play somewhere

9. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Not really. Giving someone big money after two years of averaging 12 minutes a game each, and who plays only one aspect of the game is short sighted.

For every should of would of you want to point out, I can name a billion "what a bad decision that was"

Have we all forgotten Kelvin Cato that quickly?

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

haha i dont need to troll, and im not DD never really even talked to that guy(he had what 100,000 posts or something like that lol)

11. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Its funny i NEVER said Jeremy Lin sucked.. I said he isnt better than Lowry or Dragic. And its the truth

12. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

LMAO! Somebody tells the truth and they are a "Troll". Just because I don't say everything thing this dude does is "Genius" and I see it for what it really is? Being a fan doesn't mean you have to agree with everything your Team's front office does. He's not the worst GM in the NBA but he is nowhere near the best and is no "Genius" as you all would put it.

13. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

You have to understand bro, these guys will live and die with Morey. They want to make him the world's greatest GM but can't explain how he the world's greatest GM. It's a waste

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Nowhere near eh? Name the many gms better than him and give an explanation as to why. I can only think of a few.

15. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Ok. And you name 1 NBA team we have more talent than? I can't think of any (goes for last year too)

16. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Then why do you care so much what is said about Morey, then? I don't think Morey's Jesus Christ, but the law of averages says there will be some who think he's not that great (yourself) and most will be in the middle range, and a few who think he's close to God. That's just the nature of a normal distribution and the bell cuve.

Also not that you are on a Rockets fan site, where opinions will mostly shift that bell curve to the right, and opinions will tend to favor Rockets players and staff. That much should be relatively obvious. I know some people say Dream was better than Jordan on this board, but I don't go out of my way to make threads trying to make a whole bunch of Rox fans "abandon" their icon and shove my opinion down their throats: even if it may be true.

This whole pro/anti Morey campaign battle is becoming a board cancer, and we all need to help stop threads like these.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

How does that equate into determining whose the better gm?

And btw 2011 bobcats and hornets had nothing.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

Milwaukee
    Charlotte
    Toronto

There is 3. So you aren't behind the rebuilding process?

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Quick...get a rope!....:cool:

20. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

I could and could keep this going, but this is pointless. Everyone of you will just make another excuse to cover up all the other excuses when you're proven wrong. I'll just leave you with this. What exactly has he done since he's been here? Have the Rockets even come close to a Championship? Have the Rockets even come close to building a serious contender? It's gotten to the point where signing Jeremy Lin is the only way the Rockets are on Sports Center when they used to be on every night. It's gotten to where people bash the Rockets everywhere you look when they used to fear us. Meanwhile, the Texans "A Houston franchise with an actual good GM) has turned an expansion team into a contender. There is no point arguing or "trolling" or whatever you call it. If he's a "Genius" to you, so be it. My idea of a genius is someone who gets results and he hasn't even come close to that. Come on, the fan base is ecstatic because we signed a mediocre point guard. Thing is, I don't hate Lin like most of these people do. I actually like him as a person and was excited last year watching those games like everyone else. I'm also a realist and know what I'm looking at.