1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe..just maybe... Daryl Morey isn't "that" smart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Simply calling someone a troll means you have no rebuttal. That's all you guys have lol. I've given my opinion and have yet to hear a post laying out where Morey's become so great. I stand my ground, he simply not a great GM.

You're suggesting we needed Lin to "get over the hump" but that hump wasn't there till Dragic walked and Lowry was traded. Lin isn't a better player than anyone of those guys yet we're paying him like it. Would much rather have Lowry at his price than overpaying a turnover prone defensive liability. Remember the scouting report will be out and teams will be better prepared to shut him down like Miami did last year.

You proved my point. ALL of these guards are PROVEN starters. Lin only started 25 games and burned himself out. Good investment? No. Teams will be geared to stop him now and we still don't know if he'll hold up 82 games. It's a HUGE gamble that if doesn't pay off should cost Morey his job. This is move smells Brent Price 2012

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

your job is to enjoy the team, his job is to worry about the $$$

3. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

The rockets are currently 16 mil under the minimum payroll because of all the moves that were made this summer. He cleared the space so that he COULD overpay these players.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

wow dream shake going strong...with his overtly troll like behavior..

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dreamshake1 just got RAPED. :grin:

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Kris Humpheries can get 12 mil per year...Seriously Asik was a bargain!...12 mil/year arghhh

7. Pete the Cheat

Hi, I'm Les Alexander...if Lin = 2 less losses than Dragic, but nets me as little as $26MM in additional revenue thanks to my recently resurgent interest from international Asian Markets...that is a Lin in my book...

So whats your argument if we land either? Morey genius confirmed?

Google returned no results for Omar...sorry. But might want to look up salaries for starting centers if that's your argument...

While its cute you know the word metric...your proficiency for analytical thought seems to be a bit lacking my friend. Morey has been after this guy for years because of his defensive prowess. Even if less than a genius...I am sure he at least knows how to spell Omer. +1 Morey!

James Dolan?

8. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

This is a joke of a post. The rockets are in young/get star mode. The players gone weren't part of the foreseeable future. Why would the rockets get rid of people to overpay for players them, when they had room already? Answer: D12, it wasn't about Asik or lin because By amnestying scola it gives us room to trade for d12 and (if i'm not mistaken) sign another max player.

9. David Stern

David Stern Member

Morey is a very astute GM. He makes very calculated moves that more often than not turn out as plus moves. Unfortunately he lost me on the Dragic/Lin saga. I understand the need for cap flexibility but I don't see the fourth year for Dragic as a deal breaker.

If Dragic were to outperform his contract and opt out of the 4th year that likely means he's given you 3 solid years in the neighborhood of 17ppg 8 apg. I do t see this as a problem. Lin will be a free agent after 3 years anyways.

If Dragic doesn't opt out than likely it's possible that he's been a good to average PG. I'm ok with thanking that risk. Your paying Lin $15m in his last year versus $20m over Dragic last two years in this scenario.

In my opinion Morey made a mistake as I see Dragic settling in as a very good PG just outside of all star callibeur. 17 PPG 8 APG 1.5 SPG 2.5 TO/G

Regardless of what I think Lin will be and Dragic will be I don't think anyone can argue that at this point in time Dragic is the better player. Additionally Dragic at this time is the far superior defensive player. Unfortunately for us I don't think Lin can become a plus on the defensive side of the ball. He can improve but his physical tools (not as quick & long as Dragic ) will limit his upside on defense.

Having said all that I still think Morey is a great GM and I believe he's done Very good job with the hand dealt. BUT not giving Dragic the 4th year will turn out to be a big mark against Dorrell Maury

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

It wasn't the issue of a fourth year for Dragic per se, it was the larger issue of the TEAM'S policy of not giving player options to non-franchise players. If Dragic got his, it would be hard to argue with other starters in the future who want a contract with a player option for the fourth -- or third or second -- year. And historically, player options have proven to be bad investments more often than not. Morey (and Les, since it's his team) are just playing the odds. Sometimes that hurts, like losing Dragic, but overall the team should come out ahead.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

So there's no way that a 2nd year backup center with elite defensive skills and no offensive game isn't worth $8M/year to acquire? Would it have been worth $8M/year to acquire the 2nd year Ben Wallace?

<Table Border=1><TR><TD colspan=11 align=center>2nd Year Comparision</TD></TR><TR><TD>Name</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>MPG</TD><TD>FG%</TD><TD>Reb</TD><TD>Ast</TD><TD>Stl</TD><TD>Blk</TD><TD>Pts</TD><TD>FT%</TD></TR><TR><TD>Omer Asik</TD><TD>66</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>14.7</TD><TD>.506</TD><TD>5.3</TD><TD>0.5</TD><TD>0.3</TD><TD>0.8</TD><TD>3.1</TD><TD>.456</TD></TR><TR><TD>BenWallace</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>16.8</TD><TD>.518</TD><TD>4.8</TD><TD>0.3</TD><TD>0.9</TD><TD>1.1</TD><TD>3.1</TD><TD>.357</TD></TR></Table>

That's a fair question. Well, let's see...#4 in the entire NBA in Defensive Rating (DRTG), #10 in the entire NBA in Total Rebounding Percentage (TRB%), #25 in entire NBA in Block Percenentage (BLK%) and #11 in entire NBA in Offensive Rebound Percentage (ORB%).

Morey obviously has much more complex analytics but those are just a few that are readily availible to the average fan.

So what center did we pass up in he draft that was going to be an elite defender?

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kill this thread

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Great. Another troll.
    I hate the offseason.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Listen kid.

Apparently at some point in your life, someone did you a terrible disservice. They obviously taught you the politically-correct-but-completely-wrong-in-real-life belief that 'all opinions are valid'.

No, not all opinions are valid.

Some opinions are wrong. And some are just plain stupid.

Your opinions happen to be both.

People are not denigrating you because you do not lather Morey's knob.

They laugh at you and belittle you because your opinions are so ill-informed, infantile and lacking in any real substance as to question whether even you could actually believe the things you repeatedly spout.

But the reality is much more simple: your constant and unwavering focus on being negative, no matter what the subject, reveals you to be nothing more than a simpleton internet troll.

Internet trolls are a peculiar and unpleasant form of life, roughly equivalent on the evolutionary scale to flesh-eating anal fungus, of FLEAF.

Nobody likes a FLEAF.

Go away fleaf.

1 person likes this.
  15. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Cmon aelliott. So are you going on record as to state that Asik will definately turn out to be as good as Ben Wallace. Your making the point the other way. No one gave Ben a big contract after year two. He earned it.

16. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Nice way to elegantly state your opinion:)

17. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I honestly think Dreamshake1 hates on DM so much because he honestly thinks he could be a better GM, so he feels inclined to start threads and bash people for showing Morey some love for his moves/drafts.

DM is a smart guy, graduated from MIT, has drafted well, has flipped assets well, and has used the new and fresh CBA to his advantage in RFA deals.

We get it. You watch a lot of basketball, and probably are pretty smart yourself. But please, for the love of everyone's sanity on this BBS, quit ****ing antagonizing anything and everything DM does. He's the GM, and you are not. And you wouldn't be a better GM than him.

Just sit back and enjoy the wonderful position this franchise is in, leverage and all. I love this board, I love this community here. You have some decent points, but you are forcing them down everyone's throat and bringing people's morale down with your own.

If you are a Rockets fan, there is NO reason to feel jelly of Murray, deserving or non-deserving aside.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nobody will ever take your opinion seriously if you act like a complete douchebag.

"LOL EVERYONE IS WRONG WHEN THEY SAY DARYL MOREY IS GOOD BUT WHEN PEOPLE SAY IM WRONG THEY ARE SUPPRESSING MY OPINON! MY OPINION!!!!!!!!"

Nobody cares about your opinion, especially when you present it in that manner.

19. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I've never seen your/you're used incorrectly in that context.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't believe that I guarenteed anything. I was simply pointing out that an elite defender with no offensive game can turn out to be a very valuable player despite the fact that he's a backup in his 2nd year.

You are correct that nobody gave Wallace a big contract. Of course, in hindsight, the better question would be "Should they have?". Would Washington have benefitted more from signing Wallace or trading him as they did?

What about Jermain O'Neal. Go take a look at his stats for his first 3 years in Portland. Pretty meager, yet Portland gave him a 4 year $24M extention. So, in retrospect...good choice or bad?

The problem with waiting till guys "earn it" is that then they are extremely hard to acquire.

#140 aelliott, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012