1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe it's time for Rockets and Lin to part their ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by real_egal, Dec 14, 2013.

1. makio9

makio9 Member

1. Lin has a chunk of cash owed to him next year that it's been reported not many owners are ready to fork out. I don't know how much of that is true.

That's not to do with the NBA salary, but his actual wage in real life.

2. With the current make-up of the team, Lin plays an important role of not only backing up Beverly, but also backing up Harden at SG.

Don't forget that Lin grew up as a SG.

To move Lin is difficult, but we would also need to replace him with another combo guard like Eric Bledseo, or do another trade at the same time.

Lins contract in terms of NBA cap isn't bad at all. It's only 8 million a year. It would be good to move him, but it's not really a burden to have him either IMO

2. baki

baki Member

They both have similar mindsets as combo playmaker/shooter/slasher, one goes right the other goes left. Though I agree that they are completely different in that one is willing to give up the ball and his minutes for the team while the other isn't. I do think that if Lin ever decided to hog it like Harden he would get the same kind of stat regardless of whether the team wins or not.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Owners are willing to amnesty players (still paying them millions over multiple years but not counting against the cap and no longer paying for them), owners are willing to pay luxury taxes of 2 to 1. I am sure there are owners would pay Lin one year for $15M when it only counts as $8M towards the cap. I doubt finding a taker would be a problem. The only thing is, there is no reason to trade him as you won't get value at this point.

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I really don't understand what all this angst is about. Lin HAS a role on this team -- 6th man -- and he does it well. THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE.

1 person likes this.
  5. baki

baki Member

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

6. hard

hard Member

if you think you can benefit, in a sustainable way, from a player without respecting his value and personal career development, you are way too selfish/naive for the goodness of your team. it doesn't matter since you don't have any actual influence to the decision making of the team.

7. BleedRocketsRed

I get that.

However, the idea that him coming off the bench is ABUSE by the Rockets to Lin is absolutely ridiculous. The team must field whichever rotation puts them in best position to win games.

The team has been looking good with Bev starting.

8. BleedRocketsRed

There wasn't this much outburst when Lowry or Dragic were coming off the bench....

9. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

man... i can't wait until next year when we turn on the next pg we have.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The major reason that Lin is not playing with the starters is that with Lin, Harden, Parsons, Jones and Howard on the floor together that line up is actually shot starved. The players require more shots than the 1.56 shots per minute and 0.67 free throws per minute their game pace allows. This is the same reason why Harden came off the bench in OKC and Manu comes off the bench in SA.

I have posted the data several times already.

11. startover

startover Member

I am a Lin fan and read the whole post. Agree with everything the OP said. Hope all fans can think and express themselves this well.

1 person likes this.
  12. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

nice thread trade lin

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I see equal value in the two of them. But eventually, the one who's backing up will want to make a serious push to start or move.

Players want to play and make money, that's only natural and should be encouraged, coz that's what drive them to improve and win.

There weren't so many people vocal about Lowry and Dragic, for various reasons, but on the end of the day, we couldn't/didn't want to keep either of them at given price.

If Lin is backing up Rondo, rightfully so, just as Asik backing up Howard, he could still want to play more and play as a starter, as Asik did. You can't fault people with ambition or being selfish to look for better opportunities. As long as they still work hard when they are here, they are professionals.

Harden came here not just for a few million dollars more a year, he came here mainly for the role change. Thunders were so much closer to a title with KD, WB, and JH, than we were last year with Harden and Lin.

If Lin is backing up Bev, not because PB is better (in my opinion, Lin is a better player), simply because of team need, I wouldn't blame him for wanting a starting position. This team need thing is a little bit tricky - coz even if you played better, you still won't have a shot to start.

On top of that, Lin's salary comparing to PB's, I just felt Rockets could make better use of that.

I know what "we" want, but in business, we also need to learn what others want, NOT to put others' interest above "ours", but to know how you can create a win-win situation to build a lasting relationship, for OUR own benefit.

We couldn't get Dragic and Lowry both be happy to back up each other with less money. Lin is backing up PB with much more money now, I don't see how he truly wants that, and how that would truly motivate him.

Asik made everything heard, and Rockets are forced to almost announce to trade him. I don't see that helps his trade value, and I don't want this happens to another Rockets player in Lin.

Parting on good terms only benefits both sides, if the decision has to be made.

14. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

His actual posts aren't much worse than the typical LOH. What's annoying is that he is so transparently a LOF that his posts come off as childish whining.

15. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

The team also looked good when Lin started at the beginning of the season.

Neither of them is Jeremy Lin

16. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

coaches need to stop playing Harden and Lin together on the court at the same time, let Lin run the offense to start the 2nd quarter

its been proven they cant play together at the same time

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Gold Jerry, Gold!!

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Harden is a significantly better shooter, ball handler, and finisher. Please stop with this nonsense.

19. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It hasn't. Harden's defensive liabilities are just too great such that he needs another player compensating for it full time.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That is not so true this season. If you do not understand what the columns mean I will be glad to fill you in.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.