1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Player vs. 2 for 1 Special

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Jun 9, 2013.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I just think you guys just like drooling over these so called stars...Carmelo???Howard??? Gasol??? Bosh??? and any other free agent we missed out on so I question are you guys really fans of the team or just fans of these so called superstars :(:(:(

2. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Stop reading at "call in Corey Brewer "

3. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

You need help!!! I'm a give Dr. House a call and tell him to do something with your brain. I hope I speak for a lot of people when I say, Yes I love this team, but A STAR is A STAR!!! If you have a chance to get a STAR on your favorite team you go for it. Not spend money on garbage that isn't going to take you nowhere.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Other than the fact that he's signed for a very reasonable $10M over the next two years, started all 82 games last year for the Pelicans and averaged 11/5.6/1.6, and there's no chance in hell that a.) New Orleans waives him, and b.) He signs for only $3M.

That's like saying that every other team should leave $3M free to pick up Chandler Parsons this offseason.

OP does have a point though. I mean, look at the Rocket roster as currently constructed. For the $16M that James Harden will cost the Rockets next year, we could instead have a more efficient scorer like Kevin Martin, a quality backup in Jeremy Lamb, and draft a reliable backup for Omer Asik like Rudy Gobert.

Instead of a Max player, we could have the 3 for 1 special! Even better than the OP.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I've actually responded to you bleedrockets on this very issue, but I can see there's no convincing you of what everyone on this thread is trying to explain to you. But since you made the thread I'll respond again. Max players almost always out play there contracts. Anyone not on a max contract gets close to fair market value. 2 for the price on 1 doesn't work in a max limited league like the nba. Players like Dwight, CP3, lbj, KD, etc would be earning well beyond their max contracts if you could pay them more. This IS a star drive league and that is in part due to the max caps and soft cap in the league.

Two mid tier guys does not equal 1 true max player. That kind of move is what gets you stuck in mediocrity.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't you want to throw Stephen Curry, Kevin Love and Klay Thompson into that mix as well?

I got your back if you can somehow swing a deal for Hakeem Olajuwon Jr. and Clyde Drexler Jr.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I should have stopped reading after "Texans got it right".

8. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

My question is how long have you been a fan? Did you go through the Olajuwon years and experience championships? Cause what matters in this league are...you guessed it "SUPERSTARS" and championships are won by them buddy. Sure you'll get a Detroit championship team every once in awhile but most of the time titles are won by stars put together.

Im a fan of the Rockets and you calling us out on our affiliation w/ "Stars" is just ludicrous...we just want more championship banners hanging on top of the Toyota Center rafters and Dwight coming here can bring that possibility to a reality

PERIOD.

However I still respect your opinion and agree to disagree w/ your above sentiment :cool:

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

The fact that you likened the impact a player can have in football to basketball makes this thread an embarrassment. Enjoy your 1 star, good day sir.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm a fan of my team winning Championships. You must be a fan of good guys battlefighting thus the Texans fandom.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You lost me here.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

OP is Beta as ****!
    [​IMG]

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Solid, well thought out post.

Here, have a rep.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tim Hardaway & Glen Rice's kids? That's gotta be like 15.6 3PA/per game.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I'm a big Big Al fan, but he is a 0 on D. I'd rather see Montiejunas progress at this point. Even though he gets pushed around on D, Al gets blown by. Two-way players > Roster Youngs > One-way players commanding high dollar. Honestly, any big standing next to Asik or Dwight will rebound far less, and unless they play strong D to diminish the supreme penetration our backcourt serves up, we don't need them. Big Al is the best scoring big man on the market, but we don't need scoring, or more rebounding for that matter, we need defense, and I'm not hyping Josh Smith at all, because he is a knucklehead.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Rockets fan speaking ......:eek:

If having a competitive team that gives you a shot at making the
    playoffs is the goal then perhaps a 2for1 might be a viable option.

IF on the other hand winning a championship is the goal then this
    is not a good idea. You definitely need more than one star to have
    a legitimate chance at a championship, that's because in the playoffs
    you are no longer playing mediocre teams but the elite teams in the
    nba, who usually have more than one star on their team.

17. jocar

jocar Member

I was holding my breath reading the OP waiting for "Astros got it right!" :grin:

Anyway, no thanks. A 2 for 1 will condemn us to a 2nd round exit every year, for the next 4 or 5 years. Take risks on getting proven stars or potential stars, then you fill in the blanks. Not the other way around

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I appreciate push-back on the accepted wisdom. But, in this case the accepted wisdom is right. Most of the variables of winning in the NBA favor picking up the very best players you can get, with marginal superiority in talent paying outsized dividends in winning. The only motive for passing on Howard I can support is a suspicion that he really won't be as good as he used to be.

19. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I'm not saying that you guys are not fans but, Paul & Howard have not won a championship. Look at basketball reference or Wilkipedia and check the last time a dominant C or PG (besides Tony Parker) won a NBA title

Heat - Bosh & Chalmers
    Mavericks - Chandler & Kidd (not in prime)
    Lakers - Bynum & Fisher (2)
    Celtics - Perkins & Rondo
    Spurs - Elson & Parker
    Heat - O'Neal & Payton w/ Williams
    Spurs - Nesterovic w/ Mohamed & Parker
    Pistons - Wallace & Billiups

Last 9 years how many dominant PG & C tandems...so to me it is looking like y'all just want stars

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are focusing on the wrong thing. What all those teams did have no matter the position is multiple star level players. People don't want Dwight or CP3 because they are a star center and star point guard, but because they are stars period. You need stars to win.