1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bosh or not, DECLINE PARSONS

Not worth the contract. The guy is closed to maxed out potential wise and has regressed on D every year. He plays off the attention of Harden and Howard. Overrated player and not worth anywhere close to this money.

We already knwo that we are not winning anything with McHale as coach and Parsons as 3rd option.

Time to go a different route

2. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

lmao....

Reasons i don't blame parsons:

1. Calling morey letting him go a "favor" might be a bit innocent to say...Morey is a ruthless dude, he did it to get the best deal out parsons.

2. Im getting the hint he was lowballed in houston due to what his friend is posting. "pay the man"...ect seems as if theres some tension in those tweets and he is speaking for chandler.

3. like rocket river said...When cuban throws that kind of money at you, he's not expecting to be sitting patiently.

All in all, i saw this coming when parsons starting becoming an attention w****. he wants to be talked about (calling out batum).

hes no kawai (or any of the big 3) or dirk...he wants to be BIG TIME and dallas is going all in on him.

3. BeardlyBeardman

So what does the cap situation look like for the MAVs if we don't match. What kind of room do they have left? I mean, Chandler is a good player, but if I'm Dirk and I just took a haircut, I was expecting more help than signing Chandler Parsons to a deal that pays him 5 mil more a year than I FREAKIN' MAKE !!! Are they basically in "resign our vet min guys" mode if this deal goes through?

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

sign Evan Turner for cheap now

5. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

What about throwing 12 million at Deng and then signing Parsons.

Pros: we maintain an asset like parsons and add one in Deng

Con: We would probably trade on or the other and with parsons having a trade kicker would be very difficult.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not if you use CAP SPACE to sign Bosh.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

oh gawd no. Marion is an excellent option. Also it would be a slap in the face of Cuban

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the two are not mutually exclusive.

9. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

i wonder if Hayward went out partying with Jordan and took selfies with him

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Exactly, and if we release Parsons, then you can bet we will try very hard to convince Miami to do a SnT with us for Bosh, because even using the MLE won't get us close to the cap.

There's really 2 different routes for us to go IMO.

Scenario 1: Sign Bosh using CAP SPACE, then match Parsons

Scenario 2: Let Parsons walk. SnT Bosh.

11. basketballholic

Kinda torn. I knew we weren't going to trade Parsons except under one extreme circumstance. That being if he were being used as a part of a sign-and-trade to Miami for Lebron.

I guess my instinct is we should match the offer. It will make Parsons overpaid. But we retain his services. And it's a short term deal.

If we don't match the offer:

1. We lose his services
    2. We don't gain that much cap space (an extra couple million is all)
    3. Now we've got to find a quality SF and PF that make us contenders.

So...in my opinion it doesn't make sense not to match the offer.

It's what else Morey does in the next 3 days after he receives the offer sheet that makes the difference. He's got to add a player or players through the trades of Asik, Lin, etc. The greatest need in this team is a stretch-4 that can start and play effectively alongside Dwight. And now with the removal of Asik/Lin, we also need to shore up the backup 5 spot and something else in the backcourt. So, if we can't get Bosh...I can see the possibility of going after Pau Gasol or possibly Luol Deng to play the stretch 4 or possibly even Trevor Ariza. But more realistically I think we can acquire a guy like Ersan Ilyasova for basically nothing. If we let either the Lin trade or the Asik trade go through with some added players going out, we could create enough cap space to sign Pau and we'd still have the other contract left over to add a guy like Ilyasova.

Or another possibility is sending out the Pelies pick plus other picks and talent for Rondo and a guy like Ilyasova plus other parts. That would keep us above the cap and free of apron limitations except if/when we decided to use our MLE.

Another distinct possibility I see here:
    I think Lebron is pulling a power play in Cleveland. If Cleveland can trade Bennett, Waiters, and all the other contracts outside of Kyrie, Varajao, Tristan, Wiggins, they could clear enough cap to add Lebron plus another player at a starting salary of a little over $10 million. That may be enough to lure Gasol to Cleveland. So there may be a play with Cleveland where we take back those contracts so they can clear cap and sign Lebron along with someone else. That could also include Deng walking here after we clear one of Asik/Lin out of the cap and have cap space to sign someone outright. Followed up by a trade of the other remaining of Asik/Lin for the incoming assets from Cleveland. As long as we didn't give up the Pelies pick...that would be a pretty nice haul and would allow us to stack up assets for a potential Kevin Love trade...or other possible moves.

=================

But bottom line for me...I don't see any way around matching that offer sheet. If we don't match Parsons and he walks, you're making a division opponent much better, and you're limiting the additions you can make to the team...both now...and in the future.

IF we do match.....THEN.....I think there is the potential to turn Parsons into a trade-able commodity next season. Parsons plus the Pelies pick plus whatever else may be the bait we need to trade for ............ DURANT ...... if Durant becomes disgruntled in OKC or..... possibly for LaMarcus if LaMarcus wants to leave Portland.

#1811 basketballholic, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

[​IMG]

Parsons was out partying with cuban last night. His intentions are clear where he wants to go. so screw him.

13. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

I would smile next to the man that helped me get $46 million. The Rockets will match, this is not max money. If Bosh is worth $22 mil/year Parson is close to $15mil, so he is a little over paid. It does not affect our Cap.Not to mention, I don't pay the luxury tax Les does. So who cares?

14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

EVERYONE if Lebron doesn't decide within 3 days and Bosh can't decide.

15. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Exactly. I'm sure Morey is working on all kinds of possibilities right now.

If he can't get a commitment out of Bosh soon, he'll have to move on to other plans. Signing 2-3 smaller FA's, then matching Parsons or possibly trading for a Millsap, Ilyasova, R . Anderson or even Josh Smith, then matching Parsons.

Or does he have confidence he can solidly bench easier after signing Bosh and not matching Parsons?

72 hours...

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

The clock starts ticking from the moment the Rockets receive the offer sheet.

Does anybody know if it has happened already or are the FO execs stalling like the Knicks?

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Don't think Morey was doing Parsons a favor. He just didn't expect the whole summer is playing out the way it is.

Overestimated Max players wanting to come to Houston. Underestimated Parson's market value.

Pretty much, he took a gamble and it backfired on him.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

so its called recruiting. nothing wrong with what parsons is doing. its just like any other FA being courted

19. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

*solidify..... (auto correct)

20. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Damn so now we will have to deal with POFs?