1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mav's Shawn Marion wants to be called "World Champion"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DFWRocket, Dec 21, 2011.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I can't stand these people in Dallas - their bravado jerks who talk all sorts of smack and then act like the whole world is against them.

"I want y'all to address me like that from now on -- world champion," Marion said.
    Marion is upset that the national media has overlooked the defending world champion Mavs and don't believe they have a chance of winning this season's title.
    "We've gotten to the point where everybody started overlooking us and talking about everybody else and I kind of got [upset] about it," Marion said. "Y'all trying to take something away from us that we've worked hard for and we took.
    "Everybody on this team has earned the right to be addressed as world champions, so everybody address us like that."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...s-to-be-addressed-as-8220-wor?urn=nba-wp12012

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

oops, wrote in a hurry..yes I know it should be "they're bravado jerks"

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

World champions? They beat Argentina and Spain.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Didn't Cuban get mad when either the Lakers, Celtics or Spurs (I forgot which one) were dubbed 'World Champions' a few years ago?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well he's right in that they are the defending NBA champs. And people have been implicitly discounting them somewhat in the LA/Miami/Chicago/OKC buzz especially with the loss of Chandler. You can kind of blame Mark Cuban for that since he obviously put the priority on retooling in 2012 offseason over competing for the 2012 championship by letting several guys go. But, they are the champs regardless until they get beat on the court.

As for the 'world' champs bit, that's been stupid since long before the Mavs won the title.

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Welcome to media no-mans land. I know you have Espn Dallas but that's for the cowgirls.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'll just call him Antz.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Really, I hope so. I know Popovich didn't like it! Americans calling themselves 'world champions' is one of the gravest travesties in sports history!!

9. thething

thething Contributing Member

If they form their own country and beat the US team in 2014, they can be called World Champions.

But for now the US is the world champions. Not any one NBA team.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

NBA is the place where the best players in the world play. I have no problem with calling the NBA champions world champions. Which other league in the world can assemble a roster good enough to compete with the best players in the NBA? Even in interleague competitions like Fibas or the Olmpics, the best players of national teams are almost always NBA players.

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Nope. Keep trying.

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

@OHMSS

13. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

The same thing happened to Houston after their first championship...no respect. Sports Illustrated didn't even put the Rockets on its cover. That marked the only time an NBA Champion didn't make the cover. It wasn't until many threatened to cancel their subscriptions, did they issue a limited edition version with our team on the cover. I'm anything but Dallas fan, but understand why they're feeling disrespected now.

14. makman

makman Member

He looks stupid with his yellow hair color, the guy looks like a rodman wannabe.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wade's team in Miami was dubbed "champions of the basketball world", when they beat the Mavericks in '06. ;)
    Hurts doesn't it Cuban? **** Dallas.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dallas deserves no respect.
    One championship and they think they're a dynasty now...

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well for one I think he's using "World Champion" and "NBA Champion" interchangeably. And two I'd be pissed too if I just won a championship and people are already writing my team off. They are the defending NBA Champions until another team dethrones them. They've the right to be called that.

Now if he thinks the Mavs are truly the WORLD Champions, that's a whole separate issue.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

World champions? Universe champions is more befitting.

19. Fefo

Fefo Member

this is stupid. They are nba champions, they havent beat a single team outside the nba, why would they be called world champions?

20. sinobball

sinobball Member

There's an NBA team in Canada, therefore NBA champion = World champion.